The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Doubtless it's been posted here before... but this clip has Glen Campbell surrounded by some of the luminaries of the country guitar world, like Chet Atkins. He sings "Gentle on My Mind" and has a guitar solo that is just fabulous. For those who have ears to hear, there's a lot of jazz in there...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes the ole rhinestone cowboy has a bit of sly bop phrasing in there... Fascinating

In other news, Witchita Lineman on my trio set list Sunday, love that tune...

User Info Menu

Yeah nice performance. He had some questionable taste in guitars, but that Ovation doesn't sound too bad for an Ovation.

Glen was a member of the Wrecking Crew for quite awhile, until his breakthrough in the late 60's. The Wrecking Crew backed him on his first few albums as well.

The interesting part is that this show was hosted by Ralph Emery. If you know the history of Ralph and the longhairs (the Byrds especially), you'll know that Ralph only grudgingly came to accept Willie and Waylon and the other Outlaw Country guys as legit.

User Info Menu

Campbell actually was a key person in the Wrecking Crew. I agree he seemed way too indifferent as to guitar tone. I remember as a kid wondering what it was about his licks and lines the was so different from other hot country and pop guitarists and I came to realize it was really a strong strand of bop. He's got a wild Birelli Lagrene sort of side that's fun to see--his performance of "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone" is particularly good, I think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Yeah nice performance. He had some questionable taste in guitars, but that Ovation doesn't sound too bad for an Ovation.
    As I recall, he was one of the original endorsers for Ovation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Bill
    As I recall, he was one of the original endorsers for Ovation.
    You might be right about that. At one point I felt that I had to have an Ovation because I needed to find out what I was missing. I got rid of it because after having one I realized what I was missing by playing it.

I really appreciate what Glen Campbell has done lately with his life and his Alzheimer's disease. A lot people wouldn't want to expose their vulnerabilities like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    ... but that Ovation doesn't sound too bad for an Ovation.
    Glen's playing is really great but the tone in this recording isn't the greatest (IMHO). If you want to hear some great tone coming from an Ovation check out some old Clint Strong recordings.

Last edited by gmek; 03-18-2016 at 12:49 AM.

User Info Menu

In a magazine interview when he first revealed that he was suffering from Alzheimer's Disease, Campbell named Django Reinhardt as his greatest influence so it isn't surprising that his phrasing has a jazz tinge. I remember seeing him perform For Once In My Life on TV in the late 60s and playing a solo that nailed the changes and swung like crazy. The man could definitely play.

User Info Menu

Great to watch the faces on the people in the audience in the Glenn Campbell video.

respect in their faces.....

Great video!
    Last edited by jazzimprov; 03-18-2016 at 02:27 PM.

User Info Menu

I think Netflix recently put out a glen Campbell documentary. Anyone see it?

User Info Menu

I used to have a LP of great moments from The Tonight Show. Glen Cambell was burning on his rendition of Back Home In Indiana. That's when I realized he could really play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Feldman
    I used to have a LP of great moments from The Tonight Show. Glen Cambell was burning on his rendition of Back Home In Indiana. That's when I realized he could really play.
    Check out Roy Clark on the Odd Couple if you haven't seen it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Feldman
    Here it is. Nice playing, interesting axe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morekiller
    I think Netflix recently put out a glen Campbell documentary. Anyone see it?
    I watched it. It tracks his farewell tour as his alzheimer's disease advances. Very touching story, and it reveals Campbell's great depth of character even as he feels his grip on life slipping away.

User Info Menu

The "Indiana" performance is amazing. That's an Ovation "Breadwinner" electric he's playing.

User Info Menu

Thanks for finding that video. He made it seem so easy. And it's amazing he wasn't pressured into doing one of his hits.

User Info Menu

I once saw, I think it was on "Midnight Special" (I haven't been able to find it), Glen going toe-to-toe with George Benson on "Breezin'". Glen played in a very Django-influenced style and both players were awesome. Glen can hang with anyone.