The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 59 of 59

User Info Menu

Pretty interesting discussion... Yea getting the notes out with the right articulations and effortlessly is pretty much the goal right.... The effortlessly part is a maybe, the energy from struggling etc... can become part of the sound.

Personally while I dig Dan's playing the cotton tail wasn't a very good example.... not really much feel and phrasing. never really felt the blue thing either.... I know he can... maybe a better example.

And I agree with Jack... GB can alternate as much as he wants, that's his reference, where the sound and phrasing comes from. He's been old for a while, I can relate.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    and a book is a great idea but most of those guys are too busy I guess. I do know that until recently, benson was very hesitant to do any formal teaching, or real instructional videos because he believes jazz is a folk music and should be learned on the bandstand and not taught in lessons.

I wonder what's changed?
    No bandstand any more?

User Info Menu

and a book is a great idea but most of those guys are too busy I guess. I do know that until recently, benson was very hesitant to do any formal teaching, or real instructional videos because he believes jazz is a folk music and should be learned on the bandstand and not taught in lessons.

I wonder what's changed?
    Maybe as he ages he figures it is time to clarify a few things, and also more firmly attach his name to his style of picking / playing. I can see not wanting to teach formally---as in a music school---but passing on what one has learned through a method book of sorts is something many jazz guitarists have done: George Barnes, George Van Eps, Barry Galbraith, Pat Martino, Barney Kessel, Herb Ellis, Joe Pass, even Wes put out a method book. And let us not forget good ol' Mickey Baker!
    (
    One difference is that what George does may require hands-on teaching, whereas playing out of chord shapes or using certain substitutions ("convert to minor") and the like would not.

I'm eager to see how the George Benson Music Institute handles this. I wonder if there will be videos about pick grips, anchoring, hand / wrist motion, left hand fingering and so on. (I sent an email with four questions to the Institute; I'm eager to hear back from them.)

User Info Menu

Sheryl studied with bollenback who also uses the benson grip
    I don't doubt that but she mentioned Rodney Jones in her first Guitar Player article. That was back in the late '80s, I think. There were no pictures of the grip and I tried to figure it out from the description in the magazine but didn't quite get it right. But that was my first encounter with the notion (-of holding the pick in that sort of 'unorthodox' way). I was never particularly a Benson fan. He's great, obviously, but I was after a reliable right hand, not a Benson sound. And thanks be to God, I've made some progress! ;o)

User Info Menu

Sorry I have rather derailed this thread into another Benson picking thread...

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    No bandstand any more?
    I suspect it might be a similar reason as to why he's selling some of his guitar collection?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I don't doubt that but she mentioned Rodney Jones in her first Guitar Player article. That was back in the late '80s, I think. There were no pictures of the grip and I tried to figure it out from the description in the magazine but didn't quite get it right. But that was my first encounter with the notion (-of holding the pick in that sort of 'unorthodox' way). I was never particularly a Benson fan. He's great, obviously, but I was after a reliable right hand, not a Benson sound. And thanks be to God, I've made some progress! ;o)
    She and I have talked and emailed back and forth a few times and I know she was a long-time student of Paul's. I didn't know she studied with Rodney too. She lived in Towson MD for a while so I assume she probably met and studied with Paul at that time ...

User Info Menu

Maybe...derailed, but what's more important than trying to copy his picking...is to be able to produce and repeat the sound and feel of his playing. I copied the benson style and sound as a kid... covered many of his tunes...
    From 64 new boss guitar, The cooker, Gibles... Tell it Like it is, The Willow Weep for me... still play My Latin Brother sometimes... never really knew how he held his pick till later when I could get into clubs. By then I already had my picking technique... As I think Jack said... there are a number of ways to hold and use pick, and I'll add to that.... none of it really matters if you can't get and reproduce the feel and sound.

Maybe you need to copy and memorize licks etc... at first... but eventually you should try and be able to perform in the style of.

User Info Menu

She and I have talked and emailed back and forth a few times and I know she was a long-time student of Paul's. I didn't know she studied with Rodney too. She lived in Towson MD for a while so I assume she probably met and studied with Paul at that time ...
    In the article she stressed Rodney made her aware of guitar tone (-the tone one produces picking, not from one's amp) in a way she hadn't been before. Maybe they just hung out some and it wasn't a formal lesson situation.

I'm not that familiar with Paul B---just some YouTube lesson clips someone posted. I should check out more of his stuff.