The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

Hi,

i have studied some Videos of fast and fluid Pickers like Adam Rogers, Jimmy Bruno, Andreas Öberg and Mike Moreno. I am sure that they mostly Use Economy picking.

But I am not sure about Jonathan Kreisbergs technique. Does he Use strict alternate picking or economy as well ? I have used strict alternate picking also when i made string changes for a long time. But i switched to economy picking for a more comfortable and fluid picking style like adam rogers . Now i studied Jonathan and iam really impressed by his nailing picking Style. So what is this guy doing ?

thank You, greets ginod

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Listening to his new album, Wave Upon Wave, I hear a lot of legato, Holdsworth style picking in which it sounds like his index finger is serving as a movable capo and his other fingers are playing most of the notes. It gives him a fluid, sax-like feel. So many would call that an economy type approach. However, he also alternate picks (again based on listening to him as I have never seen him in person).

User Info Menu

Hi Ginod,
    I've hosted a few workshops with Jonathan Kreisberg. In the first, he was grilled at length by some shred-rock type guys about his picking. From memory and observation, I would say that JK does not have a fixed approach to picking and that he would say "do whatever it takes to get the music out". He was against any strict approach that might impact on your musical choices - for example, a strict 3 notes per string, sweeping technique.

User Info Menu

I'd say he generally uses alternate picking as his "default" technique, and economy/sweep picking and hammer-ons and pul-offs when he wants his phrases to sound more legato.

User Info Menu

but isn't there a very strong pressure towards economy when string changes have to be made at bright tempos and no mclaughlin-like three notes per string rule is being used?

i'm right in this at the moment - but i'm doing benson picking - which is very flexible but does involve an 'emphasis' on down-stroke-string-changes at normal tempos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad
    but isn't there a very strong pressure towards economy when string changes have to be made at bright tempos and no mclaughlin-like three notes per string rule is being used?
    Kreisberg does a lot of cross-string alternate picking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelcaster
    I'd say he generally uses alternate picking as his "default" technique, and economy/sweep picking and hammer-ons and pul-offs when he wants his phrases to sound more legato.
    I had a few lessons with Jon about five years ago and that's how he described his own technique when we got onto picking approaches.

Thank you very much for your information. I think i have now a good view of Jonathans Picking Technique. :-)

User Info Menu

However that guy picks, his alt. picking technique is frightening. I saw him doing some alternate picking on a video where he was going back and forth between two different strings, and his precision was incredible.
    He must have been a Paul Gilbert style shredder at some point in his career.

User Info Menu

Agreed. Not about the Paul Gilbert part..lol.
    Super fast and precise and effortless - the notes just flow out beautifully.

What's really cool is his Musicianship is even better- he plays great Solo Guitar listen to Summertime and has a very " broad" Musical Approach beyond Trad Jazz.

Unique lines, great Tones from his 175 - a little Delay more sustain...a true Artist..I was really surprised when I heard him because of this Forum.

What Eric Johnson is to Rock- this Guy is to Jazz...
    I had thought he was from Europe but apparently was University of Miami Grad...

He plays nearly perfectly in his Vids too- amazing Player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    However that guy picks, his alt. picking technique is frightening. I saw him doing some alternate picking on a video where he was going back and forth between two different strings, and his precision was incredible.
    He must have been a Paul Gilbert style shredder at some point in his career.
    Close. Here's Jon at age 21 in progressive rock band "Wyscan" flaunting his Holdsworth-inspired chops (check it just before 3'00"):

User Info Menu

@PMB - Thanks for posting that!

That is a very good Band including the Rhythm Section - from a Record Company POV you would want a Vocalist with a more Musical Voice but still....

And Kriesburg- already extremely good nice smooth Tone no extraneous picking attack...creative...
    To go back to when he was forming his chops and style before he was Great....we will now go back to...Jon at 7 years old..lol.

You know what is funny I was talking on another Thread about seeing Michael Brecker with full Band ( Mike Stern etc.) and way back then there was an Album by Brecker Bros. called Heavy Metal Bebop and I naively thought it would be Tracks like Jon's Group is doing here...with the Breckers Blowing over it....it wasn't.
    But I saw Brecker at his Best once for like 2 hours and he was probably the best Soloist I have ever seen in any Genre he was so good he was even freaking out the Guys in his Band( Mike Stern etc.).

OK so now we know Jon's Secret Recipe...
    start out already Great or nearly Great when you are 19 or 20 ...be already Great at 21...
    then keep on getting better from there..
    Simple! Why didn't I think of doing that ?

The other thing about Kriesburg is he plays beautiful Harmonically Expanded Solo Guitar. ...and stuff like Summertime which really knocked me out.
    I am not a huge Jazz fan( some I love though and highly respect the Craft of the Musicians) but when it comes to someone like George Benson he is Jazz but also transcends it somehow and Kriesburg is like that for me..
    I would go out of my way to see him live and not many people I would...
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 01-07-2016 at 11:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Close. Here's Jon at age 21 in progressive rock band "Wyscan" flaunting his Holdsworth-inspired chops (check it just before 3'00"):

Wow! Great stuff! That explains why JK will be playing an excellent jazz solo, and then he starts rocking out in the middle of it. That's the only part of his playing that I'm not crazy about, but now I know why he does it. IMHO, the two idioms should be separate.

That solo album he made was absolutely incredible. A trumpet player called me up and told me he heard a guitarist who sounded like he was playing two guitars at once. I checked it out, and it was JK.
    Phenomenal!

User Info Menu

Yes.

He seems to actually be advancing and
    expanding the Genre like Eric Johnson did for Rock when he came out.

This Guy should get a Grammy very soon.

And the next big Honor be asked to play on a Steely Dan Album...lol.

As I've said before - I have only been on this Forum a few months and I heard about him here - I had no idea there was anyone this good
    Also the " heavyweights" on here have been so cool helping me fill in gaps and expand my harmonic knowledge..a very cool place.

I use an alternate picking technique which goes across the Strings etc. and honestly there is not a big difference technically between us...
    BUT -his musical ability is far, far above mine not even remotely comparable...lol.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 07-11-2016 at 11:21 AM.

User Info Menu

i don't think adam rogers uses mostly economy picking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Yeah I think he said he uses alternate picking where he can and economy where he has to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    To me it looks like he is using exclusively economy picking here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EDS
    I certainly don't always alternate pick.

User Info Menu

TBH I think he just gets on with it and plays the guitar.

User Info Menu

agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by EDS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Wow! Great stuff! That explains why JK will be playing an excellent jazz solo, and then he starts rocking out in the middle of it. That's the only part of his playing that I'm not crazy about, but now I know why he does it. IMHO, the two idioms should be separate.

That solo album he made was absolutely incredible. A trumpet player called me up and told me he heard a guitarist who sounded like he was playing two guitars at once. I checked it out, and it was JK.
    Phenomenal!
    I like what you said about keeping them separate..obviously anyone can do whatever they want but even though I am not a true "Jazz" Player I do swing and use "Jazz"voicings and Lines and when I swing I find ( just for myself) that vibrato is fine -
    BUT - if I bend and vibrato like Clapton/Hendrix etc. it seems to dilute the effect of the lines and the feel...

It's weird because 'swinging' on Solos seems natural now and it fits into other styles really well...but the wide bends kind of 'dilute' it- so I get what you mean by keeping them separate , especially higher gain and wide bends.

With Jazz or even Jazz Influenced Soloing- the Notes and Rhythms of the lines do all the work -the Tension/ Release...and there's a purity to that - which is very cool and timeless .
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 03-12-2016 at 09:36 PM.

User Info Menu

This tune was my introduction to Jonathan's playing, "Pilgrimage" by the Dr. Lonnie Smith Trio. I heard it in my car one night and was enjoying the laid back, gospel-y feel to it. Then the guitar solo started and I thought W(ho)TF is this guy?
    I pulled over and did a search and found this video, which turns out to be the actual recorded version that I had heard.
    It's great that in addition to more straight-ahead Jazz tunes he also can play simpler and soulful as well. It's also nice the way he keeps a lid on the inherent feedback that an archtop can produce. A very accomplished player.

As for his picking technique, for the first part he was using thumb and fingers, then switches to a pick. Pretty good close-up of his picking which seems to be almost all alternating.

Last edited by Flat5; 03-13-2016 at 02:55 AM.

User Info Menu

I gotta get more into picking technique..... Nice thread! Subscribed.

Jonathan is an alternate picker for sure, that's why his time is so solid. He has some sweep-type licks, especially an ascending series of five-note arpeggios (7-1-3-5-7) that's played up-down-down-down-up on the three top strings. But he never sweeps though just two string - I'm pretty sure about that.

He shares an odd habit with Joe Pass: they both cut their picks in half.