The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

After some years trying to achieve regular bebop picking speeds ( ala Jimmy Bruno et al ) I have come to the conclusion that it is not going to happen. Has anyone else arrived at this conclusion?

David Gilmour? He once said that his entire playing style evolved due to not being able to play fast.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If your musical perception is fast, speed is a very little factor IMO.

User Info Menu

no. but i think playing melodically is a great thing. DG has always done that.

for single note soloing can you keep up with Dexter Gordon, Chet Baker, Paul Desmond, Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall?

if the answer is yes, you're doin' fine.

User Info Menu

"I have won several prizes as the world's slowest alto player, as well as a special award in 1961 for quietness." -- Paul Desmond

Look at BB King every note a masterpiece but not many of them

User Info Menu

Bill Frisell said something similar..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yaclaus
    If your musical perception is fast, speed is a very little factor IMO.
    Wise words perhaps, but where does that leave DG precisely? or perhaps.

User Info Menu

Fumblefingers

for single note soloing can you keep up with Dexter Gordon, Chet Baker, Paul Desmond, Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall?

I would like to say yes. Others may disagree of course. You make a good point. Feeling better already.
    Last edited by blackcat; 11-22-2015 at 03:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers

if you can keep up with Wes ??

your doing amazing !

User Info Menu

jim hall had a sticker i think on his guitar case that said
    "can't play fast ... won't play loud"

good one

User Info Menu

For me there is one thing that maybe is not taking into the account: you don't have to play fast, but you better be able to hang at fast tempos. You know what I mean? Like Jim Hall, I ve heard him playing very fast bop tunes, and even though he didnt play a lot of notes, everything he did play was perfectly swung and, very important thing, he didn t look like he was struggling at all! So it doesnt really matter if you play fast or not, but if you struggle at all in any tempo, it means you gotta keep working on technique. There is no way around it. At least thats how I look at it.

User Info Menu

I would bet anything that everyone who feels like this suffers from not understanding picking mechanics, rather than some physical deficiency.

If someone is truly interested, look up my posts in a thread called "one way to pick". I gave two excercises that I guarantee will break you through your plateau. The biggest problem lies in overcoming outside picking. If you don't understand what that means, re-read the first sentence of this post.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    if you can keep up with Wes ??

your doing amazing !
    Actually answered that in the spirit of your suggestion pingu - not quite Wes in fact!

User Info Menu

Well, that's bad news. I can't hang with that crowd. I can just keep up with Neil Young!

Gilmour is fast enough to say what he needs to say. He offers a lot more than just melody, too. His tonal spectrum is full. His cadence is hypnotizing and elegant. And his dynamics are heart stopping. You never know if he'll traipse into his solo or kick the door in. He modulates speed, pitch and intensity masterfully. And his exits are as unpredictable as his entries.

And I didn't mention that he writes beautifully and poetically, he sings just right, and he's versatile on several types of guitar.

There are musicians who are fantastic but don't steal the show with flamboyance. DG is one of them. Ringo Starr is another. As I think more on this, there are tons of them- very professional and reliable. Kenny Burrell, the Wrecking Crew, the Motown gang and more.

Great thread.

User Info Menu

....................but Ringo?!

User Info Menu

I had a student once who told me he could play 32 notes a second and he was in training to hit 64 notes a second. When three years later I met the head of the music school he went on to after learning to read with me - he was knocked back by the school for not knowing any standard notation - the head of his music school knew who I was asking about when I told him the story of a student obsessed by trying to play fast!

Be careful what you wish for, it may become the only thing you are known for!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    For me there is one thing that maybe is not taking into the account: you don't have to play fast, but you better be able to hang at fast tempos. You know what I mean? Like Jim Hall, I ve heard him playing very fast bop tunes, and even though he didnt play a lot of notes, everything he did play was perfectly swung and, very important thing, he didn t look like he was struggling at all! So it doesnt really matter if you play fast or not, but if you struggle at all in any tempo, it means you gotta keep working on technique. There is no way around it. At least thats how I look at it.
    Good word. When the tempos go up, I always think I have to play faster, but the idea of hanging with the faster tempos while not necessarily going into 64th notes is something to think about.

You've stated something here that is a light-bulb moment for me.

THANKS!

User Info Menu

Yep, me too. I think when the band is charging along at 280 bpm My mind is working at one note per bar!! Time to swap over to the bass guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    ....................but Ringo?!

Yep. Ringo was solid and quietly innovative.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Good word. When the tempos go up, I always think I have to play faster, but the idea of hanging with the faster tempos while not necessarily going into 64th notes is something to think about.

You've stated something here that is a light-bulb moment for me.

THANKS!

Ditto from me. Seminal stuff methinks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Jim's a great one to study. Like Louis he had a genius for swinging 1/4 notes. That's not something that often gets touched on (although bass players have to be able to do that.)

Peter Bernstein (of course!) has the same spirit as Jim. I love listening to him take up tunes...

It's easy to hide behind strings of notes if you have chops. But fast playing is almost never real improvisation. My favourite players are often the guys who play very little. Whenever I listen back to my own playing I rarely find myself saying 'hmmm - if only I'd played a bit more there...' :-)

User Info Menu

Lol. Yep, I'm about 60 BPM short of being a 'jazz' guitarist.
    It's a tragedy..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Jim's a great one to study. Like Louis he had a genius for swinging 1/4 notes. That's not something that often gets touched on (although bass players have to be able to do that.)

Peter Bernstein (of course!) has the same spirit as Jim. I love listening to him take up tunes...

It's easy to hide behind strings of notes if you have chops. But fast playing is almost never real improvisation. My favourite players are often the guys who play very little. Whenever I listen back to my own playing I rarely find myself saying 'hmmm - if only I'd played a bit more there...' :-)
    Same here! When I listen back to my improvs I notice I play too many sometimes. I often think if I made this or that phrase shorter, it would be a perfect one, why did I play those extra notes?? Lol.

Anyway, lately, since I've been noodling a lot every day, gig or no gig, my technique got a little better. So now Im mostly interested in tone, both from my fingers and from my setup. i realized that I love players who rather attack guitar than playing in classical sense. Not many of those in jazz, though... Constant stream of notes doesnt excite me, but rather bursts of energy through attack and dynamics. So the right hand rules, if it make sense.

User Info Menu

I thought it would be more appropriate for this forum to say the Dave Gilmore syndrome rather than david gilmour. In which case I would say I would be glad to trade any amount of picking speed for his ability to groove in odd meters. Haha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    I thought it would be more appropriate for this forum to say the Dave Gilmore syndrome rather than david gilmour. In which case I would say I would be glad to trade any amount of picking speed for his ability to groove in odd meters. Haha!

The plot thickens! David Gilmore: Jazz Roots ? Global Soul - Home