The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Barry Greene has posted his first webinar today on the subject of his approach to organizing the fingerboard.

I saw it in retrospect due to time differences....I'm in New Zealand and he's in Florida.

Quite a long session...c 1hr:20.

Well worth the time spent I'd say and would recommend it to anyone who is looking at putting
    together an overview of the neck related to chords/scales.

It's all done in Barry's energetic and affable style ....and he plays the hell outa the guitar [for those that
    haven't heard/seen him in action.]

See it on Youtube

....And I have no affiliation to BG ....other than having been a subscriber to his streaming lesson
    service which I gained a lot from.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

1 hour and 20 minutes of Barry Greene. What a treat!

Thanks for posting this.

User Info Menu

I endorse everything said by Moonray.

First class 1hr 20. seminar from a world class player and teacher. And free on Webin Air.
    Definitely not for beginners.

If you missed it I think Barry will be posting it on YB.

Recommend.

destinytot Guest
    Great stuff - thanks!

Hey jazzuki it's already on YouTube ...just click on the link above.

You're right about it not being for beginners....however, it may galvanize the the would be
    jazzers who have skills from playing blues,rock etc into action.
    Barry's really inspiring.

I happen to be very comfortable with his approach as his view of the board is quite similar to
    Pat Martino's and that's the way I work too.
    Also many similarities to Joe Pass' 5 position approach.

As our local fruiterer says "try see" .....a good approach to life I think.

User Info Menu

Thanks Moonray- had already seen it. Me to comfortable with his approach. There's enough on YT cast last night to keep me out mischief for a few months. As are all his lessons.

User Info Menu

I clicked on the link he mentions early on (-to get the pdfs) but what came up was the video itself. Anyone know how to access the files he wants viewers to have for reference? Thanks!

User Info Menu

O, I forgot to say, thanks for posting this! Barry is a great player.

User Info Menu

Barry sent me the link. (Great guy!)
    In case any one else has trouble with it, here's the link to the dropbox files that go along with the webinar.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vp5v0hax3...P-UwhdbEa?dl=0

User Info Menu

This is a great video! I was coming by to put up a link in case no one else had yet.

User Info Menu

(Bumping this up, as I think it deserves the attention.)

User Info Menu

I've spend a little time with this lesson, and I really liked it. Greene is advocating practicing chord voicings and scales in a position, related to a tune. This is roughly the way I've been practicing for the last several months, so I'm glad to be told I'm right! He also adds a lot of extra useful info, and answers wide-ranging questions at the end.

This made me think I'd like to check out one of his lessons. They're only $20.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dingusmingus
    I've spend a little time with this lesson, and I really liked it. Greene is advocating practicing chord voicings and scales in a position, related to a tune. This is roughly the way I've been practicing for the last several months, so I'm glad to be told I'm right! He also adds a lot of extra useful info, and answers wide-ranging questions at the end.
    That seems like a good idea to me too.

Earlier on, when he gives the fingering for major scales, they are a lot like Jimmy Bruno's fingerings. (There are differences but having learned Jimmy's approach, Barry's comes easy.) I haven't yet worked out the fingerings (as Barry shows them) for minor scales. One thing at a time...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    That seems like a good idea to me too.

Earlier on, when he gives the fingering for major scales, they are a lot like Jimmy Bruno's fingerings. (There are differences but having learned Jimmy's approach, Barry's comes easy.) I haven't yet worked out the fingerings (as Barry shows them) for minor scales. One thing at a time...
    I too have studied from JB's site, however, realized that the 5 fingerings are something that I actually learned from the Howard Roberts' books. JB names them based on the starting note of the 6th string (I guess to help identify the hand position - which is helpful) and Howard Roberts names them based on the starting note on the root of the scale - which Barry seems to follow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle2x
    I too have studied from JB's site, however, realized that the 5 fingerings are something that I actually learned from the Howard Roberts' books. JB names them based on the starting note of the 6th string (I guess to help identify the hand position - which is helpful) and Howard Roberts names them based on the starting note on the root of the scale - which Barry seems to follow.
    I immediately related Barry's fingerings to Jimmy's. But like you, I knew those fingerings before I studied with Jimmy. At this point, either way is fine with me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dingusmingus

This made me think I'd like to check out one of his lessons. They're only $20.
    I'd highly recommend the 5position study of there will never be another you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    I'd highly recommend the 5position study of there will never be another you.
    I take it this is one of Barry's lessons?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I take it this is one of Barry's lessons?
    Mark yes, I just posted a clip in a thread called "name that tune" showing what I'm working on. Its all the first position of 5 that he demonstrates. I've worked through all of them but the video I put up is just me trying to improvise over a tune in the first position Barry gives you, I though it would be a nice idea for people to respond with a standard of their choice it's great practice for outlining the changes don't you think?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    Mark yes, I just posted a clip in a thread called "name that tune" showing what I'm working on. Its all the first position of 5 that he demonstrates. I've worked through all of them but the video I put up is just me trying to improvise over a tune in the first position Barry gives you, I though it would be a nice idea for people to respond with a standard of their choice it's great practice for outlining the changes don't you think?
    Sounds like it, yeah. I'll have to visit that thread.

User Info Menu

Bumping this thread again, as there are several ongoing conversations about fingerings / fretboard organization and Barry is a world-class player and teacher, so his voice belongs in the mix.