The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 53 of 53
    @ecj, Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly...

Get a 5 note pattern up to a max speed, then after X number of days, slow the metronome back down and incorporate another string for, say, an 8 note similar exercise? Repeat for 3 strings, then scales and arpeggios?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cowcow
    @ecj, Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly...

vid

Get a 5 note pattern up to a max speed, then after X number of days, slow the metronome back down and incorporate another string for, say, an 8 note similar exercise? Repeat for 3 strings, then scales and arpeggios?
    Yep, that's exactly it. I'd try to get the doo-dee-dah-dee-do thing you have going up to 16s at 150 bpm first. Once you can do that, drop it down and start trying to do it twice in a row before the rest. Eventually you'll get to where you can just kind of do it forever.

Then more complicated stuff. Absolutely.

There's something to be said for exploring the economy concepts that rich was talking about, too. There are easier ways to play fast than strict alternate picking. I'm not sure who you're into, but you might be surprised that many of the best jazz guitarists (Django, Christian, Montgomery, Pass, Benson) are not strict alt pickers.

Edited to add - also, good job on working on the wrist motion. I can see you doing the "turning thing" more.

User Info Menu

your fingers are 2 loose and move to much.. and I do not move my wrist I use the forearm. but you an achieve warp speed with just the wrist.