The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 79 of 79

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    After being wiped out on three different gigs by sax players playing Donna Lee at a tempo like that, i made it part of my daily practice routine.
    After almost 30 years of playing and blowing on it at 320 to 336bpm, now i wipe them out.
    And then people like you come to the UK and make all the British jazz guys cry, because we almost never play at that speed :-)

But I'll be ready for ya (probably not.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    And then people like you come to the UK and make all the British jazz guys cry, because we almost never play at that speed :-)

But I'll be ready for ya (probably not.)
    One UK jazz guitarist that can really burn that nobody seems to talk about is Terry Smith.

Before he and Dick Morrissey started IF, they were both Melody Maker Jazz Poll Winners.

TS was one of the few jazz-rock guys that first mastered mainstream jazz, before he did the jazz-rock thing with his ES 330.
    McLaughlin and all those other fusion guys never mastered mainstream jazz in the 60s and 70s(including Larry Coryell).

In the book 'Bathed In Lightning" Rick Laird said that he doesn't even consider McLaughlin a jazz guitarist

User Info Menu

I would agree about JM not being a jazz musician... But he has some great monents performing jazz tunes.

User Info Menu

For a minute I thought JM stood for Jim Mullen. Phew.

Yeah McLaughlin not a jazzer really, which I think is exactly why Miles hired him and not GB.