The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What is your view of Benson picking?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't know anything about it

3 7.14%
  • I've heard of it but I'm fine with what I'm doing. No interst.

12 28.57%
  • I'm curious but not sure if it is right for me

9 21.43%
  • I'm working on it now and seeing some progress

5 11.90%
  • I tried it but it didn't work for me.

7 16.67%
  • It's what I use. I love it. No turning back.

6 14.29%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

I guess it'll be interesting to see where we are in five more years.

By the way, Philco's thread, which Evan (ecj) mentioned above, has now surpassed 25,000 views. Lot of interest in this subject, that's for sure.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I wonder if there's still confusion over what Benson picking actually is...or if it's just me?

I mean, is it just angling the pick "backwards," or is it the whole nine yards--arm position, locked index, thin pick, etc...
    Probably a lot of differing opinions. For me it's the way the wrist works, more of a door knocking motion (or hand tremor motion) than a door knob turning or a side by side motion if you will. To do the Benson technique wrist motion it seems you have to hold your arm and hand and pick in a certain way. For me that kind of wrist motion just feels more natural and less forced. My wrist just wants to move that way.
    Last edited by fep; 08-29-2014 at 12:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Probably a lot of differing opinions. For me it's the way the wrist works, more of a door knocking motion (or hand tremor motion) than a door knob turning or a side by side motion if you will.
    I seem to be more in the 'hand tremor motion' camp. Last time I posted a vid, someone said it didn't look like my wrist was moving at all! It does move but not so much as I've seen other players move their wrists when picking this way.