The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Do you prefer books or Ebook format?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like a book I can open up and leave on the stand

23 60.53%
  • I use the convenience of electronic media.

4 10.53%
  • I'd get both if the book was really a must have

11 28.95%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70
    As for trade size to fit in gig bag, I don't think I'd ever use an instructional manual on a gig.
    But someone still learning might use trade-sized books for a lesson or on-the-go practice.

My preference is for spiral or comb bound. I repeat- spiral or comb bound. Seriously, for studying musicians who use these on their music stands, why would you consider anything else? I'm at the point if the publisher does not use spiral or comb bound-they must not want my $$$. PDF's are a joke if you use your device for any other practice function (iRealb, metronomes, etc.)
    Also, rust? REALLY PEOPLE? I've never ever seen staples or spirals rust, and even if they did, the book would have outlived its usefulness by then....Utility is KING! If I can't use it on the music stand, the publisher/author must not have intended it to be used. We're not talking about novels and magazines, folks. SMH.
    Last edited by Broyale; 07-06-2014 at 05:09 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Also, its a f**kin pain in the ass to have to crease a 200+ page book to use on my music stand. Stopping to readjust the flaps is not an efficient use of my practice time. Can someone please PLEASE explain why publishers of musical reference material don't consider this when they put out their books?
    Last edited by Broyale; 07-06-2014 at 05:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Is there a minimum page count for plastic comb editions? I share your aversion to staples: not only do they rust, which is bad enough, but pages tear free too easily. But is a plastic comb binding practical for, say, a 30-page music book?
    Oh, I see what you mean now. I didn't read carefully.

Yes, this works for small amounts if pages, because they can make the spirals smaller in order to coordinate.

User Info Menu

Hello.
    Give me a book every time.
    It seems to me that with e-books that, 'you pays your money... and gets nothing for it.'

Call me mean, but if I spend my hard-earned cash, I want something tangible in return, something I can touch, hold and, if I wish, write, draw or do with whatever I want.

Music is the key that can open strange rooms in the house of memory
    Llewelyn Wyn Griffiths.

User Info Menu

What am I missing? An eBook I hold it in the Nook or kindle or iPad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Is there a minimum page count for plastic comb editions? I share your aversion to staples: not only do they rust, which is bad enough, but pages tear free too easily. But is a plastic comb binding practical for, say, a 30-page music book?
    Mark, I had a "real fake book" that had at least a hundred pages. It was very thick. So in answer to your question I would say yes, very practical.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    What am I missing? An eBook I hold it in the Nook or kindle or iPad.
    The question is whether you prefer a physical book or ebook.

User Info Menu

I know! I got that. I think I answered that a while back. I was responding to rhodericks post above mine. That "seems to me that with e-books that, 'you pays your money... and gets nothing for it.'

Call me mean, but if I spend my hard-earned cash, I want something tangible in return, something I can touch, hold and, if I wish, write, draw or do with whatever I want. "

That's what I was responding to.

User Info Menu

Hello.
    Good morning Henry.
    It is just me, I love books but on the two occasions I have bought an e-book, I have felt cheated. They do not feel like books, they do not smell like books and in both the spelling and grammar is appalling.

Music is the key that can open strange rooms in the house of memory
    Llewelyn Wyn Griffiths.

User Info Menu

Ebooks work really well: just a brush of the finger to turn the page, no wind problems, can carry as many as you want in one device. Prices are generally quite a bit lower than paper books, as well. A 10" dedicated device such as a refurbished (inexpensive) iPad 1 work perfectly. In my studio, two screens for my computer allow multi-tasking: book on one screen, metronome or timer on another. Scanning music in allows me to resell books, getting rid of clutter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoderick
    Hello.
    Good morning Henry.
    It is just me, I love books but on the two occasions I have bought an e-book, I have felt cheated. They do not feel like books, they do not smell like books and in both the spelling and grammar is
    No, they don't smell or feel like books - of course! They're books - paper bound books! I read all of my books on my nook and love it. But of course it's not the same. Books, especially older ones, get inundated with mites and bugs who love to eat and infest in paper. EReaders don't have that problem!

But the content is what I'm after. And portability and convenience. I have about 100 books in my little nook which is quite small and portable. And that does scratch the surface of reaching anywhere near its capacity. And when I'm done and need another book, no matter where I am in the world, I shop for another and am reading a new one within 5 minutes. Great. I love it.

That said, I'm talking about actual BOOKS, novels, historical and bios. I don't buy instructional guitar books. I can see that advantage of paper. But I'd prefer printing PDFs, then I can print the specific pages I want and not have to open a book, crease it and try to keep it on the stand.
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 07-09-2014 at 09:36 AM.