The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Mine outbreak of tendonitis is all better now. I used an elbow band from Wal-Mart (10-12 bucks) and it did the trick.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I swear by this thing called a "cat's paw", search for it online buy it and let me know if it helped you like it did me.

User Info Menu

I have a chronic but not too invasive golfer elbow (inside of elbow as opposed to tennis elbow) and that happens mostly after playing for a long time (over 3 or 4 hours non stop). I realized that last spring after long sessions of couch playing and it got worst. I love high tension on my archtops and how it can let me set them with a very low action but it seems it contributed to my problem. After I stopped using the d'Addario 13 and Labella 15 on my 25.5 scale Regent and put TI 13 the pain is much less frequent or intense.
    My posture on the couch, the extended hours of playing using intensively my pinky for those 5 frets span runs are probably the main factor including of course the fact I am getting older...

User Info Menu

I used homeopathy to cure a mild case of tendonitis earlier this year (the cause being mouse overuse at the computer...) I don't remember the name of the specific pills off the top of my head. I didn't even see an homeopath though, just looked up the tendonitis article in a little homeopathy reference book I have and went to the pharmacy. It wasn't a severe case, but had been dragging on for three weeks. Well it was gone in 4-5 days. Homeopathy can work wonders, I'm using it more and more.

User Info Menu

I would suggest taping your elbow as well. Much more comfortable compared to a brace. There are many different techniques to tape the affected area so I would suggest looking on YouTube to find what works for you. Taping will help provide a little support to the tendons and possibly prevent against over straining.
    KB Support Tape

User Info Menu

What was this "permanent cure" to which you refer?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jckoto3
    Real nice playing!

It's hard to tell from the angle but it looks almost like you're tucking your left elbow too close to your torso and dropping your left shoulder. I'd first suggest removing that left armrest from your chair because, if you're anything like me, you're making subconscious contortions of your body to avoid your elbow hitting the armrest, and you won't know one way or another until you remove it or get a different chair.

But like I said, it might just be the camera angle.
    I'm not sure about the armrest but I agree that you appear to be keeping this elbow tucked toward your body which forces you to rotate the forearm out when playing on the lower frets which causes stress at the elbow. It might be better to use your shoulder muscles ( deltoids ) to abduct the humerus which will bring the elbow out as opposed to rotating it. Perhaps it is the armrest limiting motion! Try standing with a strap. Do you still keep the elbow tucked?

I'd try NSAIDs and icing it and laying off the guitar until it feels better then the position changes when you get back to the guitar. Free your elbow! BTW I also enjoyed your playing!