The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Right = correct = orthodox = traditional? I detect no umbrage towards plectrumists such as ourselves. I believe he was just stating that that's how people play in the classical styles.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nylon strings and fingers/nails - sound great. Only way to go for me.
    However, I have problems getting good tone with fingers when playing steel string guitars. Doesn't sound as full as with a pick. I have trouble keeping good nails and I don't want to screw around with gels or acrylic nails. I find that if I play steel strings with no nails, the strings sometimes "slip off" my fingers and leave me with notes just a hair out of time. I need that nail for a confident articulation. So I play steel strings 90% with a pick pick/hybrid and 10% fingerstyle.

User Info Menu

this guy seems to have it figured out:

User Info Menu

^^^ has to be a Lenny Breau fan.

User Info Menu

he also was a protégé of Ed Bickert, they made some records together.

User Info Menu

Here's the thing: who actually wants to listen to ANYONE play9ing solo electric guitar with a plectrum only? Practically no none. It's like going to a solo saxophone concert. Yuck!

I've had some decent talks with my teacher about this, regarding solo guitar. (he has extensive, near 60 year experience in every kind of jazz and classical band/group/ensemble/big band/European orchestra).

Leaving aside true polyphony for a moment---the point he made that really brought it home for me is this: in terms of getting the most EXPRESSIVE qualities of the instrument, there is no match for a nylon guitar, proper right-hand technique, and proper nails. Hands down. So beautiful.

In the last 30 years of his professional career, in terms of good paying gigs, he made his living as a solo guitarist--always with a 4-5 hour repertoire, playing amplified/mic'ed nylon classical guitar. The repertoire was extensive and deep: from classical pieces to Spanish songs; Brazilian Bossa novas to American standards. These were the sort of gigs that made a decent living, and enabled him to also break out his jazz box and play jazz--even if the gigs and money for jazz seemed to dry up, generally, as always, the musicians always got together and played it-because they loved it.

Personally, I have no aspirations of being a professional musician--I just play for myself and others because I can't imagine not playing. But for those out there who are professional players who want paying gigs, solo guitar sadly seems the best bet. But you want to play solo, playing an electric steel string guitar with a pick---well, that's not gonna get you anywhere.

You have to have the proper right hand finger style technique. There really is no substitute.
    Last edited by NSJ; 07-29-2013 at 11:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hodge12
    this guy seems to have it figured out:

thanks for the post. really nice playing from Lorne Lofsky there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Here's the thing: who actually wants to listen to ANYONE play9ing solo electric guitar with a plectrum only? Practically no none. It's like going to a solo saxophone concert. Yuck!

I've had some decent talks with my teacher about this, regarding solo guitar. (he has extensive, near 60 year experience in every kind of jazz and classical band/group/ensemble/big band/European orchestra).

Leaving aside true polyphony for a moment---the point he made that really brought it home for me is this: in terms of getting the most EXPRESSIVE qualities of the instrument, there is no match for a nylon guitar, proper right-hand technique, and proper nails. Hands down. So beautiful.

In the last 30 years of his professional career, in terms of good paying gigs, he made his living as a solo guitarist--always with a 4-5 hour repertoire, playing amplified/mic'ed nylon classical guitar. The repertoire was extensive and deep: from classical pieces to Spanish songs; Brazilian Bossa novas to American standards. These were the sort of gigs that made a decent living, and enabled him to also break out his jazz box and play jazz--even if the gigs and money for jazz seemed to dry up, generally, as always, the musicians always got together and played it-because they loved it.

Personally, I have no aspirations of being a professional musician--I just play for myself and others because I can't imagine not playing. But for those out there who are professional players who want paying gigs, solo guitar sadly seems the best bet. But you want to play solo, playing an electric steel string guitar with a pick---well, that's not gonna get you anywhere.

You have to have the proper right hand finger style technique. There really is no substitute.
    as a guy who plays solo a lot, I agree. My ears have tired of electric guitar in this context, and I find myself playing a lot of acoustic steel string (hybrid picked) and nylon string (fingers only)

For playing with others though, I greatly prefer electric.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    as a guy who plays solo a lot, I agree. My ears have tired of electric guitar in this context, and I find myself playing a lot of acoustic steel string (hybrid picked) and nylon string (fingers only)

For playing with others though, I greatly prefer electric.
    I agree with some of this, but I have to say that I find the sound of amplified nylon string generally annoying. Acoustically, in a quiet space, it's one of the most beautiful instruments there is, but I hate that really scratchy sound that piezo pickups give when they are hot. I'd much rather hear someone play fingerstyle on a jazzbox than that sound (which is what I do).

That's the cool thing about guitar. There are a million ways to play it, and we all get to pick our favorite.

User Info Menu

I have generally felt that way about nylon string amplification, but my new Godin is changing my mind...

I'll post a plugged in video later today...the most natural sounding pickup system I've heard (that doesn't use microphones)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sjl
    Such a poor comment at the end of this video:

Laurindo Almeida was great (by the way).
    In my fantasy, this announcer would be strapped into a chair and fitted with headphones blasting Opeth at high SPLs for at least a week.....maybe he would benefit from a good, sound water-boarding as well?

User Info Menu

I'm not a violent person, but I would relish throttling that guy.