The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 117 of 117

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit59
    OK - now it's set to "unlisted".

This looks better in that your thumb and finger is more locked up. But you don't have the hinged wrist movement of the "Benson Technique". And you don't have the hand rotated with the palm facing more upward. Check out my video at post #87 were I show the wrist motion, it's easier to show than explain.

Cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    This looks better in that your thumb and finger is more locked up. But you don't have the hinged wrist movement of the "Benson Technique". And you don't have the hand rotated with the palm facing more upward. Check out my video at post #87 were I show the wrist motion, it's easier to show than explain.

Cheers
    Yeah, I think I'm doing it a little more like Adam Rogers. It's weird - if I try to rotate my wrist to a palm up position, the pick ends up a mile away from the guitar.

Check AR here starting at about the 1:00 mark. I don't splay my fingers as much as he does....

User Info Menu

Yeah, I think I'm doing it a little more like Adam Rogers. It's weird - if I try to rotate my wrist to a palm up position, the pick ends up a mile away from the guitar.

Check AR here starting at about the 1:00 mark. I don't splay my fingers as much as he does....
    Adam is still facing his palm up much more than you are doing. This is pretty much the same as the Benson style. He sweeps both up and down but that's not related to the hand position. His thumb and forefinger are exactly the same.

User Info Menu

Look at Adams wrist, he is moving his wrist like a hinge to pick. To me that is what the Benson technique is all about.

User Info Menu

I'm so frustrated - that video is the only video I've been able to make - ever.

Now the software refuses to recognize the webcam.

It's really weird - I've been recording audio since forever with minimal problems but when it comes to video, I've had really bad luck....

User Info Menu

Hi, everyone!
    Check this out - http://www.jcstyllesbensonpickingtutorial.com/

Peace!
    Mikhail
    Last edited by Mike89; 11-10-2012 at 11:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike89
    Hi, everyone!
    Check this out - JC Stylles Benson Picking Tutorial Music

Peace!
    Mikhail
    This is not a link to *any* tutorial.

User Info Menu

This is not a link to *any* tutorial.
    Just look carefully!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike89
    Hi, everyone!
    Check this out - JC Stylles Benson Picking Tutorial Home

Peace!
    Mikhail

looks cool but $97 bucks?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Wow, if I died 10 minutes ago, iwould not know about this woman. Now you know about my interest in Jazz az idiom. He, he.

Can you use Benson style picking without anchoring?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun
    Can you use Benson style picking without anchoring?
    sure.

User Info Menu

Sheryl's a great player, teacher etc... but she still plays quite a bit from the arm as compared to wrist. When tempos get fast the technique somewhat breaks down... Not that it comes into play that much, but if your making reference to Benson... big difference.

Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Sheryl's a great player, teacher etc... but she still plays quite a bit from the arm as compared to wrist.
    Reg
    Does anyone know if playing from the arm leads to more injuries?

Listen to the info from Andy James in this youtube video below:

Thanks
    Guy
    Last edited by GuyBoden; 11-15-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Playing from the arm leads to more injuries?

User Info Menu

Yes it costs bucks, because it took me many years to deconstruct and reconstruct it , plus spending time with George to doublecheck it, plus software to make it available, plus New York City living isn't free.

You can find free 5 minute vids around the place that are 1/2 right, that will still leave you 1/2 wrong on getting it together and spend many years of trial and error, or you can invest in your musical and guitar playing ability and get not only your questions answered, but continued CORRECT guidance so you can actually adopt it if that is your wish. Your call.

JC Stylles

Jazz Guitar Coach
    JC Stylles - JCStylles - Home
    www.jcstyllesbensonpickingtutorial.com
    Last edited by JC Stylles; 08-21-2013 at 02:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JC Stylles
    Yes it costs bucks, because it took me many years to deconstruct and reconstruct it , plus spending time with George to doublecheck it, plus software to make it available, plus New York City living isn't free.

You can find free 5 minute vids around the place that are 1/2 right, that will still leave you 1/2 wrong on getting it together and spend many years of trial and error, or you can invest in your musical and guitar playing ability and get not only your questions answered, but continued CORRECT guidance so you can actually adopt it if that is your wish. Your call.

JC Stylles

Jazz Guitar Coach
    JC Stylles - JCStylles - Home
    www.jcstyllesbensonpickingtutorial.com
    JC

I have got to tell you, and I hope it does not offend you, but I love the way New Yorkers have a habit of "calling it as they say it" and "telling it like it is." Upon reading your comment about New York living not being free, I really had to chuckle. I have found myself doing that a lot when I converse with my New Yorker friends.

One thing's for sure, you seem to be the one-stop shop for resolving the mystique and "urban legend" surrounding the picking technique of Mr. Benson.

Peace

User Info Menu

Hey Alsoran,

It's all good and no offense whatsover.

This town has a way of making all of us who live here get to the point. There is never enough time in the day to fit all that New York offers into a standard 24 hours-so we speed up even more to squeeze as much into it as possible.

If I am going to coach someone to get results and they paid money for it, they need to know I mean what I say, and this day and age where almost anything goes in terms of standards, nobody should be paying anyone to have smoke blown up their A_ _. They should be paying them for truthful guidance and results.

Sometimes however, we do forget that not everyone else is also in New York, and I forget that more than most.

IN my previous life it was the exact opposite, living in the rainforest with very few folks around, and moving at a very slow pace. So I have gone from one extreme to the other you might say.

My Motto is "If you can't leave your mark in music today, at least try and leave a small stain"

That's all I'm trying to do, and maybe help a couple along the way, in the event I decide to get out of the New York City Jazz Life madness, and return to the bush and the slow life again and go fishin'.
    Cheers,
    JC Stylles