The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 84 of 84

User Info Menu

Yeah, Reg. I play things like this in all keys, etc. Up down you name it... Not mapping things out like this. Just playing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey Kojo, here's another set of things to play with:

User Info Menu

Thank you, kind sir.

KJ

User Info Menu

And don't forget this humongous resource of melodic patterns (or sequences) for developing "melodic freedom." (It really is a GREAT site.) Pick a pattern a day, or per week, and improve your fingers and ears for a loooooong time.

Melodic Patterns - 112 scale sequences for improving melodic freedom

User Info Menu

I've recently discovered something about my picking technique. My pick strokes are too large. By practicing slowly and using a book called Right Hand Development for Jazz Guitar by Renard Hoover.

I've always thought I was using my elbow when I picked but I've realized that instead it was that my forearm, wrist, and hand moved. The muscles in my elbow were not being used at all. After I figured this out and took smaller pick strokes I can play a little bit faster. All's I need is just a big more practice!

User Info Menu

I'm still workin' on this shiz every day. It helps. Slow but sure...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyPac
    I'm still workin' on this shiz every day. It helps. Slow but sure...
    As long as it's helping, keep at it. I'm doing it, too -- and it does help. I've applied the "Pick-say-1e&a" idea to all sorts of stuff, and it's amazing. Simple, but so beneficial.

Also a thing I'm doing - you might know of it - called "no-tempo practicing." Heard of it? If not, I'll try to find the title and author of the book I learned it from. Very effective way to practice difficult passages.

User Info Menu

Cool beans. I'm really trying to keep my damn pinky from leaving the neck when it is not playing a note. It's got a lazy mind of it's own. lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyPac
    Cool beans. I'm really trying to keep my damn pinky from leaving the neck when it is not playing a note. It's got a lazy mind of it's own. lol
    hell yeah, sometimes I want to cut it off. I've really been working the 1234 variations / arps from Reg's first video upthread. That needs to be its own thread, IMHO, in the "Getting Started" forum. I've gotten a lot from it - speed, accuracy, dexterity.... not sure if it's just me practicing like a mad bastard, but it seems to be a really focused, useful excercise. The variation with not lifting your finger till you need it - posted by Kojo WAY upthread - is great as well. I've been working that for several weeks and my fly-away pinky is better..... a little everyday.....