The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

I'm looking to get a Herb Ellis ES-165, but the case it comes with doesn't seem to be Gibson branded. I know it's a silly thing, but if I'm spending money on what will be the most expensive guitar I'll currently own, I might as well have the Gibson flex, right?

I'm trying to find both a Gibson-branded case and gig bag that would fit... I'm assuming it's the same size as an ES-175?

Would this work as a gig bag?

Access to this page has been denied.

I also can't find this anywhere in stock.

ES-175 Case, Classic Brown | Gibson

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don’t know about the gig bag, but the ES-175 case will work fine.

If you’d like something more protective, the J-185 protector case also works perfectly for 16” Gibson archtops.

Deluxe Protector Case, J-185 | Gibson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Would that be the case for all J-185 cases? Like this: GIBSON J-185 Modern Hardshell Case | eBay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Loreto View Post
    Would that be the case for all J-185 cases? Like this: GIBSON J-185 Modern Hardshell Case | eBay
    That one would likely work as well, but I can’t say definitely, as I haven’t had one in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The Modern Gibson case shown is made by Ameritage in Costa Rica. Older-style Gibson-branded plywood cases were made in Montreal, by Boblen. Boblen still makes versions of that case at various trim levels/price points, for other customers, including TKL, Yorkville and so forth. Widely available on ebay and reverb.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-20-2024 at 11:53 AM.

User Info Menu

[It's actually "OK" to not have a Gibson case; it slightly decreases the chance of someone wanting it and stealing it!]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy View Post
    [It's actually "OK" to not have a Gibson case; it slightly decreases the chance of someone wanting it and stealing it!]
    I genuinely thought about this! HAHA! Especially considering I live in Belize.

User Info Menu

I'm looking to get a Herb Ellis ES-165, but the case it comes with doesn't seem to be Gibson branded. I know it's a silly thing, but if I'm spending money on what will be the most expensive guitar I'll currently own, I might as well have the Gibson flex, right?
    If you know it's silly (and I agree that it is), why get hung up on it? If you're spending money on the most expensive guitar you'll ever own, why not protect your guitar and your money as well as possible? That vinyl Gibson gig bag is far less protective than a Mono Vertigo, Gator Pro, or other high end gig bag. The hard case is fine - I keep all my archtops in their original hard cases. But I carry them in Monos.

I'm sure you can find a luggage store, upholstery shop etc to either embroider the Gibson script logo or sew a Gibson patch on a good gig bag for very little money, if it means that much to you.

User Info Menu

I like the old 50s brown/pink and 60s black/yellow Gibson branded Lifton cases w the little brass tag near the handle but not a fan of the ones w the big silk screened logo on the top and even less of a fan of the 90s brown/pink w the huge Gibson USA on the lid. I own a guitar w one of those and wouldn't be caught dead walking around w that case in public. It's about as bad as walking around w a Tommy Hilfiger t shirt, ta-cky.
    I should sell that guitar anyway, it's just collecting dust....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    ... the 90s brown/pink w the huge Gibson USA on the lid. I own a guitar w one of those ... I should sell that guitar anyway, it's just collecting dust....
    Hey, bud, what's in the case, huh? What's in the case? Ahhh... the shark line at the Philly Fall show... good times!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit View Post
    If you know it's silly (and I agree that it is), why get hung up on it? If you're spending money on the most expensive guitar you'll ever own, why not protect your guitar and your money as well as possible? That vinyl Gibson gig bag is far less protective than a Mono Vertigo, Gator Pro, or other high end gig bag. The hard case is fine - I keep all my archtops in their original hard cases. But I carry them in Monos.
    Which Mono Vertigo fits an ES-165/175? The dreadnaught one?

User Info Menu

Mono’s naming convention is inconsistent. The M80-AD is their standard side opening bag. They call it the “dreadnought” model and it’s 16x5x42” inside. The standard “acoustic” Vertigo is the M80-VAD, which is 16x4.5x42”. Curiously enough, their Ultra dreadnought vertically opening bag (M80-VAD-ULT) is also 4.5” deep.

The Ultra is new since I got mine, and it’s a fantastic bag, but I don’t feel the need to replace my regular Vertigos with Ultras. I’m very comfortable with the level of protection from the standard Vertigos. I don’t fly with a guitar or throw it into a trunk jammed with gear. It travels in my car with a small amp and gets VIP treatment from me. But if I were buying a bag today, I’d get the Ultra.

I don’t recall how deep the 175 is - I haven’t had one for over 20 years. You may need the extra half inch to minimize pressure on the bridge. Call or email Mono and ask them to be 100% certain. They know which guitars fit in each bag and would rather have you check with them than buy the wrong one and have to return it.

I love the vertical opening, but you have to use it right or you’ll struggle to get the guitar in. You have to let the front flop down and hold the case body back in the opposite direction so it looks like a half peeled banana. The guitar will slip in and out easily. But if you only drop the top down, you have to push the guitar in more forcefully. They don’t make a 17” Vertigo, so I have a “classic” acoustic Mono for my 17.
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 05-20-2024 at 09:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Yes, that’s the one for a 165/175 sized guitar. I have the original Mono M80 (what they now call the Classic), and it fits mine perfectly. The Vertigo acoustic will work as well.

User Info Menu

I think I'm gonna go with your advice on the gig bag! Good call, seems super sturdy and will also be the most expensive gig bag I'll buy, haha!