The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Saw this on YT from some recent shows. Obviously Ed sounds incredible through anything but I think this clip highlights how versatile the bud can be.

I can’t tell if Yotem is also plugged into a bud. If so, I feel like yotem’s sound demonstrates the mid range sound with all the knobs at noon. I can’t confirm for sure but Ed’s sound is much more scooped, which is more of what I try to get out of the bud by turning the high mids all the way down. Anyway I could be totally wrong about the EQ settings but regardless it demonstrates how great of a tone you can get with a henriksen and a plank.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Honestly the thread title should be “Ed cherry sounding killer” I don’t mean to make it overly about gear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    Honestly the thread title should be “Ed cherry sounding killer” I don’t mean to make it overly about gear.
    Ed Cherry is a wonderful player.

It looks like he's got a box of some kind on top of the Henriksen .. any idea what that is?

User Info Menu

That sounds killer. This is also a great clip, but with an archtop

User Info Menu

That is smoking tone and nice phrasing, Ed is certainly top notch and I like that I believe he works very intuitively. In other words, he plays his ears and worry's less about things that get the rest of us mortal in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar View Post
    Ed Cherry is a wonderful player.

It looks like he's got a box of some kind on top of the Henriksen .. any idea what that is?
    Holy grail nano reverb. I’ve heard Ed is picky about reverb and usually brings this along or his 90s Alesis nanoverb. I don’t blame him I really dislike the reverb on the henriksen. Too much slap back and too much pitch warble on the henriksen reverb.

User Info Menu

From what I saw in the video, looks like a tele body and stratish headstock? Any ideas on PUs? He sounds awesome on anything he lays his hands on, one of my favorite players.

User Info Menu

I have been using solid body guitars and Henriksen amps on my solo gigs for several years now. Great jazz tone combined with lots of sustain makes that a superb rig for me. I still bring a 175 for band gigs where I am called upon to play traditional rhythm guitar. A solid body does not provide me with the necessary crunch.

Quote Originally Posted by kevmoga View Post
    From what I saw in the video, looks like a tele body and stratish headstock? Any ideas on PUs? He sounds awesome on anything he lays his hands on, one of my favorite players.
    Both Yotem and Ed are playing guitars made by Valle guitars, who make fender inspired solid bodies. I don’t know the exact model pickup Ed has in his guitar but I’m pretty sure it’s one of the standard lollar tele pickups.

User Info Menu

Re Ed's Tele :

Quote Originally Posted by gitman View Post
    Re Ed's Tele :

Different guitar. That one has a p90. I wonder if it was a custom that someone ordered based on Ed’s but I don’t think I’ve seen him play a p90 tele outside of this demo.
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 05-19-2024 at 05:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes. I have nothing to add to your comment. That is perfect

User Info Menu

Different guitar. That one has a p90. I wonder if it was a custom that someone ordered based on Ed’s but I don’t think I’ve seen him play a p90 tele outside of this demo.

This is simply info re where his guitar CAME from - he switches guitars constantly, swaps pickups, etc. but his SOUND does not change that much, which does not really come as a surprise either.

User Info Menu

…usually brings this along or his 90s Alesis nanoverb.
    Memories, memories… That’s a piece of kit I never should’ve let go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman View Post
    This is simply info re where his guitar CAME from - he switches guitars constantly, swaps pickups, etc. but his SOUND does not change that much, which does not really come as a surprise either.
    That was my first thought when I heard the video. I was like, "dang, Ed Cherry plays a tele and sounds exactly like Ed Cherry!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67 View Post
    Memories, memories… That’s a piece of kit I never should’ve let go.
    I still have my Picoverb, although I rarely use it these days because my gigging amps have reverb. I used to use it for playing through bass amps.

User Info Menu

Wowwie! That's some sweet sound!

User Info Menu

Here’s Ed playing, I believe the same Valle guitar, a couple years ago through a Henriksen Forte.

AKA

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting that Albert. My takeaway from that video is this:

Ed Cherry is as good as they get; and

A Fender type guitar with a Henriksen amp is all you need for a great jazz guitar sound.

My working trio these days is Guitar/Bass/Accordion. I usually use a 175/Henriksen pairing with that trio. I am going to have to try one of my Strats next time.

More of Ed and that Tele from last night. This time Ed is plugged into a Deluxe Reverb.

PB also on the gig and he's plugged into a Henriksen. Looks like Henriksen is catching on as a backline amp in NY. I know Bar Next Door has had one for a long time, seems Zinc and Birdland now have one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    Thanks for posting that Albert. My takeaway from that video is this:

…… Ed Cherry is as good as they get …..
    Yes! I call Ed the “real” real deal.

AKA

User Info Menu

Probably the best jazz sound i've heard from a solid body! Great player, however a lot of the bass portion in his sound comes from the way he holds the pick. A traditional grip would sound a lot less full and a lot more trebly in character, so the difference between a solid body and an archtop would be greater.

Haven't listened to him for a while.. he's like a jazz encyclopedia, plays everything!

User Info Menu

Ed sounds amazing! Any idea what string gauge? More evidence for the argument that a tele can do just about anything, but I wonder about strings used here, gauge and flats vs. rounds.

User Info Menu

Don't know what's on this guitar (probably flats), but from his website he endorses these strings:

Linea Rossa Vintage Jazz long Scale Flat Wound

Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    Don't know what's on this guitar (probably flats), but from his website he endorses these strings:

Linea Rossa Vintage Jazz long Scale Flat Wound
    No idea if ed plays those on his tele, but I bought a set for one of my WesMos based on Ed's endorsement. Best flatwound I've ever played.