The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 95

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by olejason View Post
    My '46 ES-300. Maybe one day I'll play well enough to do it justice. I do take it on gigs as long as I can keep an eye on it, sounds great!

Attachment 111866
    Mahogany top and no pole p90! Is the entire body mahogany laminate? What about the neck? I’ve had one come through that looked like yours. It had a three piece maple neck, making it the exact opposite woods of the standard ES-300. Interestingly, it also had no bracing at all. Despite that the top showed absolutely no signs of sinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I never planned to have a "main squeeze." And I'm not an Eastman fanboi at all.

But the bell curve means that one percent of the time a top-one-percent result occurs!
    Six years in, this El Rey 4 never, ever disappoints.

User Info Menu

This is the one for me! 1950. Only the pickguard and knobs are still original but most parts are vintage: old tailpiece (looks like old Gibson or Epiphone), 1947 P90 and harness (thanks to forum member Sam Sherry).

She can do everything from jazz to blues, funk to pop. Thanks to a soundpost under the bridge she can even roar!

User Info Menu

Made in the small country-town where I was born by luthier Luciano Buscarini according to my specs: 23,5" (Byrdland) scale lenght, slim neck and GB10 inspired body shape and size.
    Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-barberini-jazz-4-jpg

User Info Menu

Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-untitled-2-jpg
    Don't worry, the heat was off when the guitar was up on the radiator, I just wanted to take it with a neutral backdrop. This is probably the guitar I'd grab if I could only take one. It has a special something. It just sounds good!

User Info Menu

This is my best sounding guitar, and the one I’ll never sell. A 1936 Martin 000-18 that I’ve had for 52 years.

Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-img_4883-jpg

My mom was dating this guy who said he had an old guitar that I might want to use. He bought it in 1938 for $25 when he was working on the WLS Barn Dance radio show in Chicago.
    They ended up getting married and living happily ever after, so I never had to give it back!

Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-img_4882-jpg

User Info Menu

That 00018 is beautiful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Enlightened Rogue View Post
    Sounds like you made out pretty good on that deal. Everybody is happy.
    Now let’s discuss that gorgeous spruce top. Is that Adirondack or Sitka? The grain in the top is the bee’s knees. That looks like a blues shouter extraordinare. Beautiful.
    They used Adirondack spruce back then. It’s a wonderful sounding guitar that makes me happy!Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-img_4881-jpg

User Info Menu

That is a sweet vintage German archtop? It radiates some mojo. The patina on the finish looks great.
    It is!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy View Post
    This is my best sounding guitar, and the one I’ll never sell. A 1936 Martin 000-18 that I’ve had for 52 years.

Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-img_4883-jpg

My mom was dating this guy who said he had an old guitar that I might want to use. He bought it in 1938 for $25 when he was working on the WLS Barn Dance radio show in Chicago.
    They ended up getting married and living happily ever after, so I never had to give it back!

Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-img_4882-jpg
    Oofa, '36 and '37 are considered magical years by Martin fans and that puppy looks swell! It's worth a tad more than 25 bucks today on top of it

User Info Menu

This is the guitar that I play the most since I bought it a little over a year ago – a 2014 Triggs New Yorker. It tends to sit out on a stand, while my others are cased. I haven't gigged with it yet, but I haven't gigged since I bought it.

Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-tj60sn9gksi4dncge3if-jpg Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-oef6e1ci5lnxhqyledvn-jpeg

Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-triggs-front-jpeg Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-y4cniqlfrltjqyg8iaxf-jpeg

User Info Menu

My 2002 Gibson L4CES of course. Followed by 4 other close seconds!

Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-ll-jpg

User Info Menu

Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-gibson-jpg
    I have only one guitar - 2016 Gibson Memphis Figured Natural ES-175.

User Info Menu

This one has deeply satisfied me.

Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-img_9591-jpg

Thanks to everyone who have shared pics of their favorite instruments. They are all fine examples of the art of luthiery. From the ultra modern to vintage, solid body to hollow body, soundports to cones. It’s all here. Very nice.

User Info Menu

I love vintage German archtop guitars. That is my 1959 Rodebald Hoyer in post #27.
    old German archtops are great! A good way to get a hand carved solid wood instrument made by a master instrument builder for not a lot of money.
    Best I can figure (from my admittedly novice knowledge), is that mine is also from the 50s (no truss rod). It has a Stauffer bolt to connect the neck to the body and has no identifying marks or writing anywhere. Which is fine with me, it's a great guitar even if it's origins are a mystery.
    Your '59 Rodebald Hoyer is bad-ass looking, I think.

User Info Menu

Current #1 grab for all gigs - Buscarino Starlight

Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-img-7798-jpgShow Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-img-7802-jpgShow Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-img-7792-jpg

User Info Menu

my Af120
    Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-img_4619-jpg

Bare Knuckles Mule alnico3 neck PU
    does everything I need

User Info Menu

Hands down.

User Info Menu

There are several I love, in fact, I don't have a guitar I don't love. But most of the time I reach, entirely predictably, for my 2015 VOS1959 ES175.
    Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-vos175-prri-jpg

Other times, and about as often, it's the 2015 Gibson L5ces.
    Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-l5-prri-jpg
    These two instruments are way more guitar than I deserve.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan View Post
    Mahogany top and no pole p90! Is the entire body mahogany laminate? What about the neck? I’ve had one come through that looked like yours. It had a three piece maple neck, making it the exact opposite woods of the standard ES-300. Interestingly, it also had no bracing at all. Despite that the top showed absolutely no signs of sinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep no pole P90. Interestingly the cover of those pickups are painted from the inside so they have a sort of 3d look to them in person, it's really unique and cool. The entire body is mahogany laminate and I'm pretty sure the neck is as well. Were the laminates on the three piece neck visible like L5's and whatnot? My neck is dark brown so I'm assuming it's a one piece mahogany. I've never thought to check for braces, I will definitely take a look at that. I wasn't aware any of them were built without them, thanks for the tip! The top is in great shape on mine as well.

Another odd tidbit about mine, the tuners have been replaced with open gear tuners more commonly found on 30's Gibsons. There's probably a neat story there!

User Info Menu

You can’t lose with that pair. The VOS ‘59 ES-175 gets my vote though. Classics become classic for a reason.
    The L5 is a classic too, actually produced for a much longer period than the ES175.

User Info Menu

Oh, I meant no disrespect to the L5. ‘Tis a classic also. The 175 stands out more to me. It’s an apple to apple comparison though. Both are winners.
    Absolutely. The ES175 feels like a can-do-anything instrument. It inspires confidence. The L5ces makes me want to play better to somehow be worthy of the instrument. It plays and sounds so great, it actually does inspire me to reach a little higher.

User Info Menu

Oh, I meant no disrespect to the L5. ‘Tis a classic also. The 175 stands out more to me. It’s an apple to apple comparison though. Both are winners.
    I should also say that the ES175 and the Fender Princeton Reverb are seriously made for each other.

User Info Menu

Show Off Your Main Squeeze! Post a pic of the guitar you consider “the One.”-1-jpg