The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaymen View Post
    At 86 pounds, my 65 Fender Twin Reverb is a boat anchor but sure sounds great when I play my ES-175 through it, there is nothing quite like it. a As long as someone else gets to move it around, it's a perfect amp.
    I'm amazed at the mutiple weights quoted for Twins of all vintages. Even the current 65 RI is all over the place. I'm seeing same year same model Twins advertised as weighing anywhere from 65 to 85+ pounds. I wonder if anyone actually weighs these before posting. Music Den says the 65 Twin Reissue weighs 79.45 lb but Fender says it weighs 64 lbs. My '71 Twin with a pair of neos weighs 59.5 lbs. So with stock C12Ns (which weigh about 7.5 lbs each) it would weigh about 64, which is what I recall as the original Fender spec. [EDIT: A check of the '70 Fender catalog says the '70 Twin weighed 69 pounds. They changed the Twin a few times between '68 and '72, so a pound or two difference from version to version is believable. But I don't have Fender catalogs from '68, '69, '71, or '72 so I can't check right now.]

JBL D120Fs weigh 13.5 lbs each and EVM 12s weigh 19 pounds. So a pair of those bruisers would up the poundage by about 12 and 22 respectively. This means that a 65 Twin with EVMs would weigh 87 pounds. It's hard to believe many of the posted weights I see, so I and others would love to know how much everybody's Twins actually weigh. If you'd all put yours on the bathroom scale and post the year, weight, and which speakers it has, we could start to get an accurate picture of Twin poundage. If a 65 has JBLs it should weigh about 77 and with EVMs, it should weigh about 86. With stock speakers it should weigh about 64.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit View Post

The music is usually better when players aren't pushing for more volume. .
    Depends on the genre. Rock? Loud is good. Even Brian Setzer's rockin' big band is LOUD.

But yeah- no point in hearing "Take Five" any louder than it HAS to be. But those who haven't felt the experience of air moving around them and sound waves actually being felt physically, have a limited view of what we are talking about. It's cool if you don't dig it. I don't dig loud for too long either. But the experience is exhilarating.

User Info Menu

We just got home from Dublin. While walking around, we passed a very nice music store called Musicmaker. Of course, I had to go in. They have a large stock (especially for an independent), including Fender, Gretsch, Kramer, and Gibson. They have multiple new Gibsons but no archtops of any kind and no 7s (new or used). They’re in the process of becoming an Eastman dealer, and they have a large acoustic guitar room. The staff clearly care about musicians and music. They also have recording and live sound sections, band and orchestra instruments, keys, percussion and a whole lot more.

While we were talking shop, I noticed that they had an unusual desk at the counter -

Attachment 111824

I figured it was unloaded - but it’s a perfect 4x12 Rivera cab that's been there since Noah docked the ark. They had it priced at 1000 Euros forever, subsequently dropping it bit by bit to its current asking price of 200. I considered bringing it home but thought better of checking it without a flight case. The drivers alone have to be worth more than 200, and I suspect they would have given it to me for 100 if I’d offered. There’s just no interest in the big guns any more, even in a big city with a lot of live music.

They seem to be thriving though, with a good stock of current hi tech amps and a great vibe. I really enjoyed my visit.
    My wife and I are retiring to Ireland in a few years, and she has lots of family there. If that cab is still in the store in October, I'll let you know what they said about letting it go for 100 Euro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
    My wife and I are retiring to Ireland in a few years, and she has lots of family there. If that cab is still in the store in October, I'll let you know what they said about letting it go for 100 Euro
    Ireland is a really cool country, Jim. We absolutely love Dublin. If things get seriously right wing here next year and we feel threatened because of our ethnic heritage, Ireland is high on our list of places to move. The only problem is that their healthcare system is not great. We talked to a lot of people there about it, and none had anything good to say.

We discussed it with the owner of a great little restaurant we found while walking around. He moved his family there 20 years ago, is fully insured and a very nice guy. His daughter is asthmatic, and they routinely wait hours to see a physician when she has an attack. He and his wife have had similar experiences. I’m not comfortable that we could get top quality care there, which is not a good feeling as I close in on 80.

Then again, a Rivera 4x12 would be cool! And there’s lots of opportunity to busk, if you don’t mind playing in the rain

User Info Menu

I'm amazed at the mutiple weights quoted for Twins of all vintages. Even the current 65 RI is all over the place. I'm seeing same year same model Twins advertised as weighing anywhere from 65 to 85+ pounds. I wonder if anyone actually weighs these before posting. Music Den says the 65 Twin Reissue weighs 79.45 lb but Fender says it weighs 64 lbs. My '71 Twin with a pair of neos weighs 59.5 lbs. So with stock C12Ns (which weigh about 7.5 lbs each) it would weigh about 64, which is what I recall as the original Fender spec. [EDIT: A check of the '70 Fender catalog says the '70 Twin weighed 69 pounds. They changed the Twin a few times between '68 and '72, so a pound or two difference from version to version is believable. But I don't have Fender catalogs from '68, '69, '71, or '72 so I can't check right now.]

JBL D120Fs weigh 13.5 lbs each and EVM 12s weigh 19 pounds. So a pair of those bruisers would up the poundage by about 12 and 22 respectively. This means that a 65 Twin with EVMs would weigh 87 pounds. It's hard to believe many of the posted weights I see, so I and others would love to know how much everybody's Twins actually weigh. If you'd all put yours on the bathroom scale and post the year, weight, and which speakers it has, we could start to get an accurate picture of Twin poundage. If a 65 has JBLs it should weigh about 77 and with EVMs, it should weigh about 86. With stock speakers it should weigh about 64.
    I have two Twins. One with a K120/EV Force 12 combo. It's in the high 70's-low 80lbs range. When I had two JBL D's in there it was 86lbs when I actually weighed it on the bathroom scale. It's a '69. But that might've been with the crappy MDF baffle. I have a pine mojotone in there now which might've reduced the weight a little as well.

My other amp, a 72, first year MV has been my workhorse and has Emi PF-350's which are like 21lbs each. I think I calculated it at 94lbs or thereabout but never weighed it so it's just a calculation. It's so heavy I refuse to let others help me with it for fear they will get hurt. I bought the biggest, heaviest, highest wattage guitar speakers I could find so I don't blow them up.

I always pull the reverb tanks out because I don't use them so they are a little bit lighter and that way I can more easily fit stuff in the bottom. Honestly once you get used to moving them, it's not a big deal anymore. I can fling that 94 pounder around pretty easily. I actually have a technique where you invert the amp vertical and carry it that way, one hand on the handle and the other supporting underneath, so there is less weight on your hand and it's more centered with your body mass instead of hanging off to the side Much easier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone View Post
    I have two Twins. One with a K120/EV Force 12 combo. It's in the high 70's-low 80lbs range. When I had two JBL D's in there it was 86lbs when I actually weighed it on the bathroom scale. It's a '69. But that might've been with the crappy MDF baffle. I have a pine mojotone in there now which might've reduced the weight a little as well.

My other amp, a 72, first year MV has been my workhorse and has Emi PF-350's which are like 21lbs each. I think I calculated it at 94lbs or thereabout but never weighed it so it's just a calculation. It's so heavy I refuse to let others help me with it for fear they will get hurt. I bought the biggest, heaviest, highest wattage guitar speakers I could find so I don't blow them up.

I always pull the reverb tanks out because I don't use them so they are a little bit lighter and that way I can more easily fit stuff in the bottom. Honestly once you get used to moving them, it's not a big deal anymore. I can fling that 94 pounder around pretty easily. I actually have a technique where you invert the amp vertical and carry it that way, one hand on the handle and the other supporting underneath, so there is less weight on your hand and it's more centered with your body mass instead of hanging off to the side Much easier.
    The K120 and Force 12 weigh 12.8 and 14 lbs. The 1969 Fender catalog does not list the weight of a stock tube Twin. But Cream City has a '69 with EVMs listed as weighing 88 pounds. EVM 12Ls weigh 19 pounds each, So if Cream City is correct (and I have no reason to believe that they are), that "88 pound" '69 Twin should actually weigh 77 pounds. Since the speaker combination you describe weighs about 12 pounds more than a pair of stock C12Ns, your amp should weigh 89.

Most websites agree that a stock '72 twin should weigh 69 pounds. The specified weight of PF350s is 21.5 lbs. The stock speaker in the '72 Twin was a C12N or similar speaker, which weighs 7.3 pounds. The difference is 28 pounds, which means that a '72 Twin with PF350s would have weighed 97 lbs - and that's in the same ballpark as your calculation.
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 05-21-2024 at 10:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Typically Oxfords after '67 and either those or Utahs in the early 70s, Jensen's were out by mid '67 except for JBL' s in some '69s w the JBL badge on the grill. Also orange basket JBL's in many once the mid 70s rolled around.
    I'll weigh a couple Twins w Jensen's and Oxfords when I get a minute but they should be very close.

User Info Menu

Ireland is a really cool country, Jim. We absolutely love Dublin. If things get seriously right wing here next year and we feel threatened because of our ethnic heritage, Ireland is high on our list of places to move. The only problem is that their healthcare system is not great. We talked to a lot of people there about it, and none had anything good to say.

We discussed it with the owner of a great little restaurant we found while walking around. He moved his family there 20 years ago, is fully insured and a very nice guy. His daughter is asthmatic, and they routinely wait hours to see a physician when she has an attack. He and his wife have had similar experiences. I’m not comfortable that we could get top quality care there, which is not a good feeling as I close in on 80.

Then again, a Rivera 4x12 would be cool! And there’s lots of opportunity to busk, if you don’t mind playing in the rain
    Yeah, that is true. I think it may be better in the West (Galway) than in the East, but it still isn't up to East Coast USA standards by any stretch. I have a brother in law who is a doctor in Ireland, but if I was in Ireland and needed surgery for some reason, I'd fly back to NYC and go straight to NYU.