The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Undercover cases seems to be out of business. I know there was another company that made really good cases that were popular with pros. Does anybody know a company that makes really good protective gig bags for jazz guitars? Thank you very much.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Reunion Blues

User Info Menu

Mooradian bags have been professional players' choice for decades. Emily Hoffman at Emily@mooradian.com is now running the business. https://www.mooradian.com/
    I got two for my 7 string guitars custom made. I'll have them for life. In my book, the best gig bags on the market. I travel, gig and fly with my guitar in that bag. Very comfortable straps and padding.
    High quality gig bag?-screen-shot-2024-05-15-5-34-02-pm-png
    Lots of pocket configurations and custom colours. Mine is teal and I can pick it out anywhere.

User Info Menu

For many years I’ve used a Mooradian gig bag for solid body Strat/Tele style guitars. It has been outstanding.

I’ve used a Reunion Blues Continental for my 335 and Trenier Jazz Special. Perfect with one exception - the shoulder straps cause the guitar to protrude too high above my head.

AKA

User Info Menu

I use a Mono M80 for my Comins GCS-1. It has stood up to years of hard use and remains in excellent condition. It's a well thought out bag with a number of convenient features.

The only thing is that I hadn't been trimming the string ends at the tuners well enough and that shredded the portion of the bag the string ends contacted. I put on an iron on patch which has lasted for quite some time -- now that I trim the string ends really short.

If it was stolen I'd buy the same one.

User Info Menu

The newer Chinese Reunion Blues aren't as good as the old San Francisco made ones by founder Glenn Cronkhite.
    Glenns own bags are stellar but I'm not sure how the new ones are since he sold the company.
    If $ isn't a consideration I'd look into those.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    The newer Chinese Reunion Blues aren't as good as the old San Francisco made ones by founder Glenn Cronkhite.
    Glenns own bags are stellar but I'm not sure how the new ones are since he sold the company.
    If $ isn't a consideration I'd look into those.
    Good to know. I base my love of RB on the bag I have for my telecaster that I bought new in 1995. It has been used regularly ever since, has held up beautifully, and stuns everyone that remembers me using it almost 30 years ago.

i also once had a black leather RB bag for a guild archtop that was equally nice.

User Info Menu

I haven’t had any issues with my Chinese reunion blues bags and I’ve flown around the world with them (by that I mean telecaster in the overhead). I have the continental model which people have good reviews of and I know some pros that use the same one with their archtops. I think I remember Pete Bernstein saying he flies with one of those in the overhead could be wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    I haven’t had any issues with my Chinese reunion blues bags and I’ve flown around the world with them (by that I mean telecaster in the overhead). I have the continental model which people have good reviews of and I know some pros that use the same one with their archtops. I think I remember Pete Bernstein saying he flies with one of those in the overhead could be wrong.
    It's the leather ones Omph, lower quality leather in smaller pieces, thinner stitching thread etc
    I have no experience w recent non leather.

User Info Menu

Mooradian is absolutely the best. If flying and need to check in then Mono case is great. I had no problem checkin in my tele with the Mono gig bag.

Thanks everyone for great suggestions. I'll check them out.

Jim

User Info Menu

I need a custom gigbag for my semi, I reached out Mooradian and Glenn (the new owner) but I live in Europe so with import taxes and shipping costs it will be more than 500€, do you know if there is anything similar in Europe?

User Info Menu

I've got a Blue Heron soft case for classical guitar that I use for my GB10-size luthier made archtop and am very pleased with it.

Acoustic Guitar Soft Cases | Blue Heron Soft Cases

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ksaric View Post
    Do you know if they make also custom gigbag? Because my Semi is 14.75” lower bout (with tilted headstock, so Mono sleeve is not an option for instance) and I can’t find a perfect fit

User Info Menu

The Gator Pro bags are awesome. I bought mine 50% off through Amazon warehouse and it was brand new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave93 View Post
    Do you know if they make also custom gigbag? Because my Semi is 14.75” lower bout (with tilted headstock, so Mono sleeve is not an option for instance) and I can’t find a perfect fit
    I wouldn't know. There is a contact info at the bottom of a page. Maybe you can ask there?

User Info Menu

Cronkhite was always churlish to deal with so the glory days of ordering from him directly had their drawbacks. Nice bags though and RB cordura bags are still good quality if your budget is in the $200+ range.

For a nice affordable bag that's still not flimsy, the Protec Gold Series semi hollow (on Amazon for around sixty dollars) fits a 175 perfectly with no slop, has useful pockets and importantly straps that don't make the neck a risk of clattering into every door frame. I wouldn't fly with it but it's definitely gig-worthy and I appreciate not rucking the extra weight of a Mono bag.
    Last edited by Boze; 05-16-2024 at 08:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    For many years I’ve used a Mooradian gig bag for solid body Strat/Tele style guitars. It has been outstanding.

I’ve used a Reunion Blues Continental for my 335 and Trenier Jazz Special. Perfect with one exception - the shoulder straps cause the guitar to protrude too high above my head.

AKA
    I'm happy to see that Mooradian is back in business.

The usual serious alternative to the RB cases are ones made my MONO. I've used an M80 bag for more than ten years and it has held up very well. While the RB bags do sit high on your back (watch out for those doors and subway turnstiles!), the MONO bags ride low which I find to be rather uncomfortable if you actually have to walk anywhere. Cinched as high as it will go, the bottom of the case sits well below the belt. This means that the case interferes with how you walk by bouncing off and around your butt when you walk which is horrible for your posture. Personally, I wind up with crazy weird backaches after having to carry that thing around for any length of time. I'm 5'10" by the way if that data is useful to anyone.
    Otherwise it seems that both cases are highly regarded and of similar quality.
    I have no regrets using the MONO all these years but when I replace it I'll probably try the RB which I think will be more comfortable.

User Info Menu

Reunion Blues changed the design of the straps, and the newer bags don’t carry as high on the back.

Also, FWIW, I had two Mooradian bags, which both fell apart (the foam padding disintegrated and the the cloth tore around the zippers). If they’ve solved those problems in the new incarnation, great. But I’d ask about this before ordering one.

User Info Menu

I like my two reunion blues bags (relatively new, so probably Chinese?) I have an rbx for me es-330 and a continental for my arch tops. They both feel very sturdy and protective, and I feel completely safe to take my guitars around town with them.