The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I just picked up this vintage Epiphone Zephyr Deluxe Regent (or perhaps “Deluxe Electric”). I initially thought it was a pre-Gibson model that had been modified, and indeed some parts of it are definitely non-original (bridge and tailpiece), but the more I look at it, the more unsure I am of its origins. Perhaps some of the internet sleuths out there can provide their expertise.

-Script Epiphone logo, Tree of Life headstock inlay, cloud fingerboard inlays, 4 knob layouts. I’ve never seen another old Epi with this exact layout (although it’s a dead ringer for the new reissues).
    -There is no label inside the guitar or serial number on the back of the headstock.
    -The pickups appear to be genuine Gibson PAF mini humbuckers.
    -There is no sign of an old pre-Gibson style toggle switch (in other words, the 4 knob layout is stock).
    -The pickup routes are very clean and professionally done. There is finish over the side of the cutouts (doesn’t necessarily rule out an overspray). There are no extra screw holes or any evidence of a previous pickup.
    -The pots have shielded casings on them, so I can’t get a date code without opening up them up
    -The case is a genuine Gibson case.
    -That “reverse stinger” at the base of the neck is weird. I’m assuming it was done to cover up a previous repair, but it’s under the clear coat and was done a long time ago (there is faint lacquer checking above it)

Theory #1: It’s a mid 50s Epiphone that was professionally modified at some later point in time. Perhaps this work was done at the Gibson factory. New pickups, new knobs, new case, maybe Gibson tore out the Epiphone label?

Theory #2: It’s an early Gibson era (60-62ish) Epiphone and the pickups, knobs, and case are stock. According to shipping totals, there were a VERY small number of Deluxes made during this era. The fact that there is no substantial binding shrinkage/rot seems to support this interpretation.

NGD and a Mystery - Epiphone Content-img_0087-jpgNGD and a Mystery - Epiphone Content-img_0090-jpgNGD and a Mystery - Epiphone Content-img_0091-jpgNGD and a Mystery - Epiphone Content-img_0092-jpgNGD and a Mystery - Epiphone Content-img_0085-jpgNGD and a Mystery - Epiphone Content-img_0086-jpgNGD and a Mystery - Epiphone Content-img_0089-jpgNGD and a Mystery - Epiphone Content-img_0088-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images NGD and a Mystery - Epiphone Content-img_0087-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It appears to me to be an early production Gibson/Epiphone. The neck and maybe body appear to me to be leftover NY Epi parts, although the neck fingerboard extension has the distinctive Gibson 'indent' under the fingerboard.

Nice looking guitar!

User Info Menu

Theory #2 imo, though that's the first Epi I've seen w a black heel stinger.
    Blue lined case, control knobs, mini PAFs and the aforementioned lack of binding issues support that theory though good binding on an Epi isn't really exclusive to the 60s.

User Info Menu

Looks like a nice Epi, but someone switched the Freqensator tailpiece sections so the bass side is on the treble side and vice versa. It would drive me nuts to leave it that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman View Post
    Looks like a nice Epi, but someone switched the Freqensator tailpiece sections so the bass side is on the treble side and vice versa. It would drive me nuts to leave it that way.
    Some people do that due to short bass side strings not reaching the tuners.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Some people do that due to short bass side strings not reaching the tuners.
    People also do it to make the treble strings a bit slinkier for bends due to the extra string length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

That is a beauty. Nice pics and thanks for sharing it. Congrats and happy, NGD.

User Info Menu

It doesn't appear from the pics to have a nylon nut, which Gibson used from very late 50s through early ( at least) 60s - that one looks like aged bone. Also the truss rod doesn't seem to have the usual Gibson protruding brass threaded nut and washer, though it's difficult to tell from the pic.
    Theory 1??

Nice guitar, in any event.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    It doesn't appear from the pics to have a nylon nut, which Gibson used from very late 50s through early ( at least) 60s - that one looks like aged bone. Also the truss rod doesn't seem to have the usual Gibson protruding brass threaded nut and washer, though it's difficult to tell from the pic.
    Theory 1??

Nice guitar, in any event.
    It looks to me like there’s a weird truss rod cover on it, hiding the truss rod nut.

I can’t be 100% certain, but it looks like the frets have binding nibs which would be a Gibson thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Sweet guitar.

That sort of truss rod cover was used by some NY-era Epis. If you look throughFelix Wiedler’s site, you’ll see scattered examples.

My NY-era Devon had nibs, until I had it refretted.

I’ll bet this is a Gibson era Epi with a lot of NY-era parts and some Gibson stuff. In the banjo world, this is called a “floor sweep,” where they get an order for a no-longer-common model and they use whatever they can find to build it.

Swapping the tailpiece was recommended in the earliest catalogs containing the Frequensator for specific reasons. So it is a legitimate change.
    Attached Images Attached Images NGD and a Mystery - Epiphone Content-img_0493-jpeg 
    Last edited by stevo58; 05-15-2024 at 08:20 AM.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm thinking Gibson made also. It has been refretted, but you can see remnants of the original fret nibs. Below are some photos of the truss rod and its bulbous cover.

NGD and a Mystery - Epiphone Content-img_0095-jpgNGD and a Mystery - Epiphone Content-img_0093-jpgNGD and a Mystery - Epiphone Content-img_0094-jpg

User Info Menu

I think ”Gibson assembled” would be more accurate.

User Info Menu

That is a totally cool guitar. I love it.

User Info Menu

I agree with the forum consensus that this is an original Gibson factory-assembled guitar using Epi neck, body, and a mix of Gibson and Epi leftover parts. Absence of SN could indicate that it’s a Gibson assembler’s personal project. Could even be put together a few years later than suggested.

It’s such an attractive and, for me at least, desirable combination of features! Do you think that top/back/sides are laminate or solid carved wood? Academic question, IMHO, as that neck and those pickups guarantee a fun party!

User Info Menu

Assuming the body is a Zephyr Deluxe, it would be laminate.

Based on the info on Jim’s site, the neck was made between 1946 and 1954. In 1954 Epi switched to a different peghead inlay.

The top looks like maple, which they went to in 1953. The cloud inlay also started in 1953 on this model.

Of course the body could be Kalamazoo-made, but the neck looks like leftover Epi.

Quote Originally Posted by hidesert View Post
    I agree with the forum consensus that this is an original Gibson factory-assembled guitar using Epi neck, body, and a mix of Gibson and Epi leftover parts. Absence of SN could indicate that it’s a Gibson assembler’s personal project. Could even be put together a few years later than suggested.

It’s such an attractive and, for me at least, desirable combination of features! Do you think that top/back/sides are laminate or solid carved wood? Academic question, IMHO, as that neck and those pickups guarantee a fun party!
    Yes, it's definitely a laminate. The 3 plies of wood are visible in the side of the unbound F-hole.

There is a Reverb listing right now (no affiliation) for what is described as a '59 Epiphone Deluxe acoustic. The neck on that guitar is very similar to mine. Could it be that early on Gibson was making Epi necks in an earlier NY style? The neck profile on both are a bit on the chunky side (mine measure .91"/1.05" at the 1st/9th frets) and NY Epis have a reputation for being slimmer profiles.

The Marketplace for Musicians | Reverb.com

User Info Menu

They were using up Epiphone stock.

User Info Menu

I like the guitar finish. Looks lovely, thanks for sharing the pic and happy NGD.