The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, I'm a fan of old tube amps, they're all I use, but I'm talking about a small cooling fan. After a gig my old Twin or Vibrolux would be very warm, almost hot to the touch on top of the amp above the power tubes.
    Though I've been aware of the concept of a fan for a long time it's only been the last few years that I've used one. Some guys have a small computer fan mounted inside the cab, I just use one of those 6" clip ons pointed right at the power tubes. After the gig the amp is barely warm to the touch. This of course extends the life of the tubes and other components as heat is their enemy.
    I don't know why it took me so long to use one but better late than never.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've put a Rotron Whisper Fan in all my big tube amps since I got my Boogie hunree in '78. They're bulletproof, light, silent (44 dB) and efficient (110 cfm+). I use the 110V model and plug it into the aux outlet on the amp chassis with a 90 degree plug. I mount them on the inside of the end panel where the power tubes are, blowing upward. You can hardwire them into amps that don't have an outlet or use a Y connector for those that have a detachable power cord.

I've also cut a hole in the side panel of a few level with the tubes, put a grill over the outside of the hole, and mounted the fan on the inside surface so they sucked air in and blew it horizontally. This works great, but it destroys the originality of the cab.

I think Rotron is gone. But there are now almost identical pancake fans from multiple sources. I just hope at least one is as good as the originals because I want to put fans in the Twin, Princeton, and 2x6L6 2x10 reverb / no trem Fender clone I got from Jazzkritter's family.

User Info Menu

My Mesa Blue Angel came with a fan. Although that is the only amp I have with a fan.

User Info Menu

I've had tube amps with and without fans... in general, I like the added durability(?) a fan can add... even tho it also adds weight. Given a choice, all my combos would have fans, but they would also have a switch to turn them off at certain times (like for recording).

User Info Menu

My experience is that most Boogie amps have fans. I am a big Boogie fan and so I am use to using a fan.

Compared to the volume of the amp, I never really hear the fan.

User Info Menu

Neil Young uses a fan in his famous Fender tweed Deluxe, which his tech says is basically always on the cusp of melting, so the fan is essential. I have never used a fan in a tube amp, given that all of them have open backs and plenty of passive air circulation....

Now that I think on it, my Engater Rebel 30 does not really have a very open back. That is, BTW, a surprisingly good amp for jazz if you are looking for a compact medium-power (30W) tube amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SoftwareGuy View Post
    My experience is that most Boogie amps have fans. I am a big Boogie fan and so I am use to using a fan.

Compared to the volume of the amp, I never really hear the fan.
    Same, I've never heard the fan in my Mark IV combo.