The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I‘d like to share my impressions about my latest discovery with you guys. Ir‘s the Kissmystrings (KMS) Whiptail Wraparound Bridge:

KMS Whiptail Wraparound Bridge (Review)-img_4209-jpeg

This bridge is made from one piece of 7075 Aluminum- ultralight (30 grams) and dense. It‘s precisely compensated and available in three different styles (straight, angled, 50‘s angled) to fit different guitars and comes optionally with steel studs and anchors. The bridge is masterfully crafted and beautifully finished.

KMS Whiptail Wraparound Bridge (Review)-img_4214-jpg

I‘ve tried the Whiptail on my Gretsch Jet and I‘m really impressed:

Intonation is spot on (two small Allen keys for finetuning), in one word: precise. Every string intonates close to perfect.

But most impressive is it‘s tone- this bridge adds sustain, it really opens up the guitars tone- more volume, more complex harmonics, more string separation. Fantastic!
    The wraparound construction is the most elegant solution by itself with the best tone transfer, no doubt, but the Whiptail is in it‘s own league.

KMS Whiptail Wraparound Bridge (Review)-img_4213-jpeg

I guess the reason for this beautiful tone is the superlight high end aluminum. It‘s honestly a game changer. The lack of string slots may also have a positive tonal influence. First I was a bit sceptical if the strings may move on the bridge thru bendings- nothing, the strings are „glued on“, so to say.

Check it out if you’re looking for a Wraparound bridge- highly recommended!
    Last edited by Stefan Eff; 05-12-2024 at 10:08 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In my opinion, the wraparound bridge is the most elegant solid body bridge option.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Eff View Post
    The wraparound construction is the most elegant solution by itself with the best tone transfer
    If I may be a bit pedantic - what tone transfer? If I interpret the picture correctly there isn't even any vibration transfer through the bridge.

Which may be what explains the sustain you noticed: vibrations not siphoned off by the body means they stay in the string andthus continue to be picked up by the PU.
    Aluminium is also very stiff/rigid which I guess could explain the effect on tone separation you note. It's also quite soft and easy to machine: I wouldn't be surprised if you find scoring when you take the strings off, enough to keep them in place even during bends or (more so) when you dig in deeply with your RH, close to the bridge.

The "wraparound" design is a clever way to allow some compensation fine-tuning with fixed saddle posts. I don't think there's anything else to it.

User Info Menu

Have you had a chance to compare it to the Mojoaxe wraptail?

Attached Images Attached Images KMS Whiptail Wraparound Bridge (Review)-mojoaxe-wraptail-55-junior-jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    Have you had a chance to compare it to the Mojoaxe wraptail?

Unfortunately not, they’re not available here in germany. Afaik they’re pretty similar (high grade aluminum for example).

User Info Menu

Sounds interesting. I have two LP’s with wraparound bridges (a Special and a ’54 Reissue) and I have thought that the ABM wraparound bridges has been a huge improvement for them. In intonation, sustain and clarity.

KMS products are rare things, there is no dealer in northern Europe nor here in Finland. There is no second hand market for them and their price is double to the ABM products.

But of course these kind of reviews keep me interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    Sounds interesting. I have two LP’s with wraparound bridges (a Special and a ’54 Reissue) and I have thought that the ABM wraparound bridges has been a huge improvement for them. In intonation, sustain and clarity.

KMS products are rare things, there is no dealer in northern Europe nor here in Finland. There is no second hand market for them and their price is double to the ABM products.

But of course these kind of reviews keep me interested!
    You can only order via website:

https://www.kissmystrings.de

Nice and helpful guy!
    Schwarz Custom Guitars uses in all his models KMS bridges, I‘ve played their TOM in my Guild and use the Telesaddles in my own Tvcaster Guitars. So far, high performance bridges and worth every cent!

User Info Menu

You can only order via website:

https://www.kissmystrings.de

Nice and helpful guy!
    Schwarz Custom Guitars uses in all his models KMS bridges, I‘ve played their TOM in my Guild and use the Telesaddles in my own Tvcaster Guitars. So far, high performance bridges and worth every cent!
    Thanks! Although I think I'll still wait that someone is selling his/hers KMS for a fraction of a new one...

Did You change the studs too? Or those things that are inside the wood, in where You screw the studs?

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    If I may be a bit pedantic - what tone transfer? If I interpret the picture correctly there isn't even any vibration transfer through the bridge.

Which may be what explains the sustain you noticed: vibrations not siphoned off by the body means they stay in the string andthus continue to be picked up by the PU.
    Aluminium is also very stiff/rigid which I guess could explain the effect on tone separation you note. It's also quite soft and easy to machine: I wouldn't be surprised if you find scoring when you take the strings off, enough to keep them in place even during bends or (more so) when you dig in deeply with your RH, close to the bridge.

The "wraparound" design is a clever way to allow some compensation fine-tuning with fixed saddle posts. I don't think there's anything else to it.
    I don‘t want to start a time consuming discussion (and I‘m no scientist) but a guitar bridge acts as a transmitter of the guitars string vibration, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    Thanks! Although I think I'll still wait that someone is selling his/hers KMS for a fraction of a new one...

Did You change the studs too? Or those things that are inside the wood, in where You screw the studs?
    Yes, I‘ve changed also the studs but not the bushings inside the guitar. KMS is expensive, that’s true but the bridges are worth it. Honestly, I‘ve never seen a 2nd hand offer.

User Info Menu

What is the advantage when compared with an adjustable Wraparound bridge?

KMS Whiptail Wraparound Bridge (Review)-adjustable-wraparound-png

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden View Post

One part vs. 13 parts.

User Info Menu

a guitar bridge acts as a transmitter of the guitars string vibration, no?
    On an acoustic guitar, yes, because on those instruments the string vibrations have to be transmitted mechanically to the part that converts them into sound.
    On an e-guitar those vibrations are not transmitted mechanically but electromagnetically.

I didn't want to claim that no string vibrations are being transmitted through the bridge though but I would expect that you'd need a stethoscope to hear the sound that produces on this type of e-guitar.

On an acoustic guitar, yes, because on those instruments the string vibrations have to be transmitted mechanically to the part that converts them into sound.
    On an e-guitar those vibrations are not transmitted mechanically but electromagnetically.

I didn't want to claim that no string vibrations are being transmitted through the bridge though but I would expect that you'd need a stethoscope to hear the sound that produces on this type of e-guitar.
    what causes the body to vibrate (electric guitar)? Only the neck?

User Info Menu

Unfortunately not, they’re not available here in germany. Afaik they’re pretty similar (high grade aluminum for example).
    I believe you can simply order them through their website. Excellent hardware. I use one on my R4 Tonequest.

Attached Images Attached Images KMS Whiptail Wraparound Bridge (Review)-gib-lp-r4-tonequest_2531-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-13-2024 at 03:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden View Post

That’s not aesthetically pleasing to me.

User Info Menu

what causes the body to vibrate (electric guitar)? Only the neck?
    No, I suppose that some vibration does get transmitted via the bridge too. But again, in a typical "pure" electric (aka plank) guitar you don't want the body to vibrate: all the string energy that goes into that cannot also go into producing sound.

No, I suppose that some vibration does get transmitted via the bridge too. But again, in a typical "pure" electric (aka plank) guitar you don't want the body to vibrate: all the string energy that goes into that cannot also go into producing sound.
    Hm. All my electrics vibrate in total when they’re played and they all sound paramount. Okay, they‘re all chambered.

User Info Menu

Hm. All my electrics vibrate in total when they’re played and they all sound paramount. Okay, they‘re all chambered.
    Well, maybe I was a bit overly affirmative. I only have an acoustic archtop that also happens to have a floater which I never use, but I did noticed that its electric sustain isn't handicapped by all that string vibration energy being pumped into the top.

I've seen Les Pauls (or clones thereof) being built. I can't say anything about the effects those chambers have on how these guitars sound when you pluck them but don't plug them (in). But my hunch is that the effect of chambering is most noticeable in the weight department.

But my hunch is that the effect of chambering is most noticeable in the weight department.
    Sorry, I really don’t think so.