The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Which Pickguard Looks Better?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Original

8 57.14%
  • Custom

6 42.86%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I recently purchased a Guild Artist Award (I need to do a NGD for it) and I wanted to change the pickguard for two reasons.

1) I'm not a huge fan of that guard and pickup
    2) I have ordered a 1000 and 11000 RC to put on it.

I decided to try and make a new pickguard and did so using some pictures online, CAD and CNC.

I also remember Wintermoon protesting the normal black Guild pickguard, so with that in mind, I tried to make something a bit more interesting.

I'm going to run a poll based on which one looks best (subjective of course).

Here are some pics for comparison and a video of me making the guard (for those interested).

A Custom Pickguard For A Guild Artist Award-screenshot-2024-05-10-213233-pngA Custom Pickguard For A Guild Artist Award-screenshot-2024-05-11-144532-png A Custom Pickguard For A Guild Artist Award-screenshot-2024-05-10-213204-png A Custom Pickguard For A Guild Artist Award-screenshot-2024-05-11-154622-png

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If the original is the one with Guild printed on it, I'm not a fan of that at all.

Custom all the way!

Are you mounting the new pickup on the neck or the PG?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill View Post
    If the original is the one with Guild printed on it, I'm not a fan of that at all.
    Custom all the way!...
    I think you have them reversed.

User Info Menu

I think the custom one looks great, and is a nice nod to Guild’s heritage. I think the logo is a little too big, but it sort of also reminds me of some of the one-offs and promos companies have made for trade shows etc.

User Info Menu

Shape of the custom is nice but there's something a tad too "Goodyear" about the logo for me; it does a disservice to the grace of the headstock. The original captures the distinctive lines of the late Westerly AA's, and it gives a classic look. But it's obviously not your taste.
    They both say something. Which one is closer to your personality? You'll be the one it speaks for. After all, if you like the custom complete with the logo, it makes it a personal statement and each time you pick up the guitar, it'll say "This is MY taste" and not necessarily some guy on a forum who might not even be able to play. Your music, your guitar, your taste, your idiosyncrasies, your ear, your eye.

User Info Menu

I was given a (about 1989) Guild Artist Award some years ago by someone who liked my playing. While i would consider to change the PU to one with adjustable polepieces if i were to play it on gigs, i would never change the pickguard. Maybe on another guitar this pickguard would look mismatched because of it's unique design, but i think it fits the Artist Award perfectly.

PS: if i was in the position of the OP, i'd have one custom made in the shape of the original and fitted to a deArmond PU.

User Info Menu

You did a great job making it. I dig it! It compliments the busy fretboard nicely!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with all the comments made. The logo should be smaller. The issue is working out the best way to cut it. The thinner the lettering the harder it is.
    I also think the pickguard is a little too big and I would prefer the accent to be in gold not white.

I will make some modifications if I get time this week with the feedback given, taken on board.

Regarding the original pickguard, I just don't like the shape although I understand why some do.

User Info Menu

I don’t like the shape of the original but much prefer celluloid over black plastic for a nice guitar.

The new one is interesting but I don’t think it is right for the guitar. I see the reference to the original art deco style from the 60s but your geometry is different and I don’t think it is proportionally suited to the guitar. The guard is too long. Additionally I think the original 60s deco was not well executed, so I am less inclined to want to emulate it than you are.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    I don’t like the shape of the original but much prefer celluloid over black plastic for a nice guitar.

The new one is interesting but I don’t think it is right for the guitar. I see the reference to the original art deco style from the 60s but your geometry is different and I don’t think it is proportionally suited to the guitar. The guard is too long. Additionally I think the original 60s deco was not well executed, so I am less inclined to want to emulate it than you are.
    All fair points. I think it is a tad long, the lettering is a tad too big, the black on white doesn't sit too well with the cream, gold of the guitar. I also like tortious but those are usually bound, which is a process I don't yet have the time to delve into.

Adjustments for the next iteration will be:

- Slightly smaller overall
    - Smaller letting
    - And if I can; paint the white parts an off cream/ivory, to match the guitars binding.

This morning I attached a DeArmond to it. There are several ways to do this but I went for the easiest to start with. I did not want to drill the pole onto the fingerboard extension for several reasons and so came up with a way of attaching it to the pickguard only. I might drill a slot in the guard to allow for position adjustment, closer or further away from the neck. Height adjustment is done via the pickguard mounting screw at the top.

This attachment is crude and I will use CAD to make a new version that contours well with the pickguard as it intersects the guard.

A Custom Pickguard For A Guild Artist Award-screenshot-2024-05-14-213823-png A Custom Pickguard For A Guild Artist Award-screenshot-2024-05-14-213812-pngA Custom Pickguard For A Guild Artist Award-screenshot-2024-05-14-213753-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    All fair points. I think it is a tad long, the lettering is a tad too big, the black on white doesn't sit too well with the cream, gold of the guitar. I also like tortious but those are usually bound, which is a process I don't yet have the time to delve into.

Adjustments for the next iteration will be:

- Slightly smaller overall
    - Smaller letting
    - And if I can; paint the white parts an off cream/ivory, to match the guitars binding.

This morning I attached a DeArmond to it. There are several ways to do this but I went for the easiest to start with. I did not want to drill the pole onto the fingerboard extension for several reasons and so came up with a way of attaching it to the pickguard only. I might drill a slot in the guard to allow for position adjustment, closer or further away from the neck. Height adjustment is done via the pickguard mounting screw at the top.

This attachment is crude and I will use CAD to make a new version that contours well with the pickguard as it intersects the guard.

A Custom Pickguard For A Guild Artist Award-screenshot-2024-05-14-213823-png A Custom Pickguard For A Guild Artist Award-screenshot-2024-05-14-213812-pngA Custom Pickguard For A Guild Artist Award-screenshot-2024-05-14-213753-png
    Great job mounting the pickup! I’m in the minority here, but the only thing I’d change is the length of it. The Guild Benedetto’s had solid white binding pick guard’s so yours adds additional flair that they didn’t possess.

User Info Menu

Thanks G. I agree with you.