The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Thought I'd share this ebay purchase. Took 10 days to the UK. Total cost $16.66. Seems a really nice product. Packed well. Just checked, it's now out of stock.Rosewood compensated bridge from India-20240510_135116-jpgRosewood compensated bridge from India-20240510_134954-jpgRosewood compensated bridge from India-20240510_134650-jpgRosewood compensated bridge from India-20240510_134246-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Thanks for the few likes I've had.
    Thought there may have been a bit more response to this thread!
    I've posted about this on a couple of fb archtop groups and have been inundated with responses - some pretty colourful!
    May be it's because I suggested that I would be trying it out on my 1963 ES175!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy View Post
    Thanks for the few likes I've had.
    I've posted about this on a couple of fb archtop groups and have been inundated with responses - some pretty colourful!
    May be it's because I suggested that I would be trying it out on my 1963 ES175!
    Perhaps you'd get more responses if you provided a link to the item (even if it's sold out).

User Info Menu

I’m also interested in where you got it from.

User Info Menu

There are hundreds of those on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink View Post
    Perhaps you'd get more responses if you provided a link to the item (even if it's sold out).
    Since you ask Guitar Bridge Rosewood Archtop model with Golden hardware GRETSCH GIBSON GUILD | eBay
    I think they still have the Ebony.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67 View Post
    I’m also interested in where you got it from.
    Guitar Bridge Rosewood Archtop model with Golden hardware GRETSCH GIBSON GUILD | eBay
    It seems to be of better quality than a similar looking one that is plentiful from China via Ebay and may be Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    There are hundreds of those on ebay.
    The Chinese one's, yes but I haven't seen so many of these slightly better (looking) ones from India.
    I can't find any repros without the cut outs for the thumbwheels. Even Stewmac, Allparts, Teller, Thomann ones have the cut outs.
    The makers need to stop doing the cut outs and also add the small metal bushes in the saddles a la Gibson.
    Last edited by garybaldy; 05-11-2024 at 02:32 PM.

User Info Menu

...I can't find any repros without the cut outs for the thumbwheels...
    Don't the cut outs give you a little more room when lowering the bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink View Post
    Don't the cut outs give you a little more room when lowering the bridge?
    Yes, I guess so. It will also depend on the height of the saddle itself. The point I'm making though is that it's become apparent that a lot of people (not necessarily me included) don't like these repros as they are not like the original Gibsons. I thought I'd find at least one maker/supplier that did a true facsimile.

User Info Menu

Sorry, but I thought I'd better not state how I prefer full-contact bases and ebony for the saddle and that this one seems much too high for my guitar (plus I just put on a new bridge)

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    Sorry, but I thought I'd better not state how I prefer full-contact bases and ebony for the saddle and that this one seems much too high for my guitar (plus I just put on a new bridge)
    Ok, you are excused. I guess you don't have a 175 with a footed bridge then. ps can I see your new bridge please?
    And BTW the bridge I bought will have some height reduction from sanding the feet to the correct arch and possibly some off the saddle to match the f/b radius. Better to have too much than too little which aslo helps if you need to tweak the intonation.

User Info Menu

I haven't looked lately, but the bridges from India used to be common. Maybe the Chinese have taken over in the past couple of years.

User Info Menu

ps can I see your new bridge please?
    This is the saddle discussed here: Bone-insert saddles & AllParts/Foley bone-top adjustable bridge

Rosewood compensated bridge from India-img_9537-jpg

Rosewood compensated bridge from India-img_9535-jpg

I have the matching ebony saddle too but it doesn't have a sufficient radius and for now the bone insert saddle suits me. And the ebony/EIRW mix doesn't look half as bad as I had thought.

I had to take a considerable amount of wood off the base (it's still about 1/3 heavier than the original despite now having the same footprint) and also about 1.5mm (should have been more!) off the bottom of the bone insert, just to get the action low enough.