The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

I don't dig PRS aesthetically and play-ability wise. The sound is ok I guess, I've heard really cool jazz tones once from someone playing a PRS with f-holes, no idea what model was that, looked like a regular one but with f-holes.

I tried a PRS in a shop once, and its neck was definitely not for me, the opposite of what I like, too wide, too flat, thin back profile... Maybe perfect for someone, but it ain't me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I love them both.

PRS has made some design decisions that make it easier to deliver good quality consistently ... no binding, modern finishes, etc ...

where Gibson has to please most of its fans by trying to come as close as possible to products designed and built in the 1950s.

IMHO

My biggest problem is that I want one of each product from both companies and in every color.

User Info Menu

The original C24 concept was supposed to be a cross between a LP and a Strat, for people who used both and wanted one guitar to cover both. (The 25" scale is in between the two.) To me anyway, it seems much closer to the LP side. Aside from the one split coil setting and the trem, it sounds nothing like a Strat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    The original C24 concept was supposed to be a cross between a LP and a Strat, for people who used both and wanted one guitar to cover both. (The 25" scale is in between the two.) To me anyway, it seems much closer to the LP side. Aside from the one split coil setting and the trem, it sounds nothing like a Strat.
    I don’t think it sounds anything like a LP either. But you may have touched upon the heart of the matter. Ever since their inception, PRS guitars have been judged by how close (or not) they are to a Gibson or a Fender. Those two are so ingrained as cornerstones… if someone makes a guitar that’s close to that, people go “copycat”. If it’s far from that, they go “nah, it’s not a LP”. Personally, my brain isn’t wired like that. A LP is its own thing. A Strat is its own thing. A PRS is its own thing and I find it to be a thing of beauty.

Having said that, to me the Custom 24 is the least appealing PRS. They strike me mostly as clever, not necessarily inspiring.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    The 24-fret neck makes it more like a cross between a super-strat and a LP. The effect on the neck pickup tone may be the main reason PRS wound up having more appeal to metal players (at least until their 22-fret models came along).

User Info Menu

I found my Custom 22 PRS to be closer in tone and feel to a Les Paul than a Strat. Mine had their "wide-thin" neck and Dragon Humbucker pickups. It was one of those guitars that on certain days, I wish I had kept. Les Paul vs PRS-prs-custom-22-jpg

User Info Menu

I have an early days PRS Custom 24. It was a wedding gift from my wife (how 'bout that, fellas?) and I like it a lot. In some ways, it is similar to my Sadowsky Jim Hall, oddly enough. The feel of both guitars is just so precise. Easy to play. Flawlessly level fretboard and frets, no dead spots, no string dinkiness, every note articulates nice and clean.

Entirely different than my 1944 Gibson L7 non-cutaway with reissued DeArmond. Now that's a guitar I have to fight a little to play. Fat neck. The guitar has been around the block. Some previous owners must have played it pretty hard. The fret wires are low and thin. A couple inlays have been chipped.

And somehow I love them all the same.

User Info Menu

... After not having had a Gibson of any flavor for many years, I just today bought a Les Paul. So I guess now that I'm back in Tribe G, I'm honor-bound to shout PRS Sucks! I hate PRS! Les Paul roolz!

Did I get that right?
    Last edited by John A.; 05-30-2024 at 06:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    ... After not having had a Gibson for several years of any flavor for many years, I just today bought a Les Paul. So I guess now that I'm back in Tribe G, I'm honor-bound to shout PRS Sucks! I hate PRS! Les Paul roolz!

Did I get that right?
    Almost right,you forgot to say how awful the bird inlays on the neck look.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz View Post
    Oh man, they're so ugly I can't even speak about them. Scary, too. Like that Hitchcock movie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz View Post
    LOL yeah people are so whiney

User Info Menu

PRS has 2 models I think are soooo freaking cool, the original Mira and Starla.

Now they glossed up the Starrla and put a damn Bigsby on it. Criminal.

User Info Menu

I'm happy with this sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    PRS has 2 models I think are soooo freaking cool, the original Mira and Starla.

Now they glossed up the Starrla and put a damn Bigsby on it. Criminal.
    Bigsby is the coolest thing. But that Starla is trying really hard to be a Gretsch Corvette, and it's not getting there.. Now I just remembered the Silversky monstrosity, and I start to gravitate towards the haters camp. I think PRS is douchebag of the guitar manufacturers.

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of PRS guitars, would love to have another Custom 24. Given the choice I'd take a Custom 24 over a Les Paul any day, simply for the inconsistency of modern Gibsons. I traded my last Les Paul in 1980 for an Ibanez AR300, and haven't looked back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    PRS has 2 models I think are soooo freaking cool, the original Mira and Starla. Now they glossed up the Starrla and put a damn Bigsby on it. Criminal.
    I had an original Core-line Starla and sold it . That wasn’t smart. I had a wonderful S2 Mira and sold it, but at least that allowed me to afford my DGT. Anyway, both are great guitars. They were designed by Joe Knaggs before he left PRS. Solid, resonant slab of mahogany, no top, mahogany neck, rosewood board. The Mira has been in the Core and S2 ranges. The Starla has been in all three ranges. Both models have now been dropped completely. Good deals can be found used…

User Info Menu

I prefer the 22 fret PRS guitars. The "594" guitars especially.

I have an older standard McCarty that I love, but I'd love to add a McCarty 594.

We also picked up an SE Zach Meyers that is becoming my preferred axe for my guitar gigs. Most of my recent gigs have been playing bass.

I have a beautiful quilt blonde Custom 24 that I've been thinking about selling for many years. Not because I don't like it, but I haven't really played it and I could use the money ...

and, perhaps more importantly, I need the space for other guitars that I'm expecting to pick up soon. LOL

User Info Menu

PRSs are best heard and not seen, Les Pauls are best seen and not heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I am firmly in the Gibson camp. While the PRS may sound good(not denying that), I don't like how they feel/play, and don't like the look(esthetics). This is something that will never change for me. I own two Gibson's...a LP and a 335. They sound great, play great and look great. Love them.