The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

Hi everybody.

Tag posted this video in one of his recent troll threads, and I must say, I like the more subdued sound of the Les Paul. The PRS has too much abrasive bite for my taste.

Let me know your thoughts.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Different worlds. A non-trem singlecut vs a doublecut trem. Then there’s how the amp is dialed in. Les Pauls and 335’s can sound dark. If you set up an amp to work well with a LP and then switch to something else (whatever it is) then it may not sound as good. PRS is about sustain, clarity and making a guitar ring like a bell. So yes, if you switch from a LP to a PRS (especially a trem version) then it’s going to be a heck of a difference.

Technical stuff aside, people who are totally into Gibson (or Fender) are rarely impressed by a PRS and that’s putting it mildly. Personally I made the switch to PRS long ago and have never looked back, but it’s not because of any A/B videos. You need to hear them in the room and experience how they interact with the amp and with you. Then there’s the clarity, I mean play a 6/9 chord or a Hendrix chord or the James Bond chord and it’s an epiphany. But they’re certainly not for everybody and it’s not uncommon to see big names going back from PRS to Gibson.

User Info Menu

In my guitar journey, I had a PRS (Custom 22) and found it to be a superb guitar. It kind of splits the difference between a Strat and a Les Paul just as a 335 splits the difference between a 175 and a Les Paul.

At the end of the day, I don't need the differences split as I like a 175, Les Paul or a Strat (I own three of each and do almost all my gigs on one of those three models these days) so my PRS and my 335 are both long gone. But I see the attraction to both a 335 or a PRS. (Or Telecasters or an SG. I have had both of those models and prefer a Strat or a Lester).

Bottom like: I am a Gibson/Fender guy who IS impressed by a PRS.

User Info Menu

I’m the other way around, a PRS nut who also appreciates the legendary brands that came before. Apart from the craft and the obsessive pursuit of constant improvement, I appreciate PRS mostly because the guitars have their own voice and aesthetic. I steer away from their models that resemble classic guitars, like the 594 Singlecut or the Silver Sky. My small collection consists of a DC3, an NF3 (probably the most underrated PRS ever), an early SE Soapbar, a core DGT and a 594 Hollowbody which is probably the best electric guitar I’ve ever played, bar none.

User Info Menu

My DGT IS my Les Paul. It does the LP humbucker bridge thing in spades. The neck is also quite nice. Despite the fact it's a trem and a doublecut it's not worlds away from a LP, not even a neighborhood away really. But the DGT has PAFs in it, not whatever is in most or PRSi. That makes a huge difference.

Yes, I've owned a couple of Les Pauls over the years. Was never a fan of the way they felt- the neck angle, the body shape... just felt kind of foreign to me (and I'm a tele guy). I much prefer the way the DGT feels.

User Info Menu

I am like SS, I like PRS guitars they are well made and play fine. However, in the end a basic good playing Les Paul is what I would prefer if given the choice. Les Pauls do many things, and everyone knows them instantly so no need to go any further.
    Last edited by deacon Mark; 05-11-2024 at 02:03 PM.

User Info Menu

I recently tried an S2 Single Cut 594, which I guess is supposed to be as close to a Les Paul as PRS gets. I'd say it felt and played a bit differently. Despite the way they pitch it as out-Gibsoning a Gibson due to the guiding hand of Ted McCarty, don't think it really is a clone of a LP, and is more its own thing.

Anyway, craftsmanship and playability were excellent. It felt good (and lighter than a LP). I like the way the body is beveled and contoured (don't love the sharp edges of a LP). So it's certainly a valid take on this style of guitar, but I have to say I think it's really ugly. The color, figuring and burst all look really weird in person (much more so than in pictures). Ditto for the double cutaway version. The core models are definitely very pretty, though, but way out of my price league.

User Info Menu

This is not the Gear Page.

I find it to be an interesting debate, and want to see what Jazz musicians think about this topic.

I personally don't dislike PRS. Overall I prefer the Les Paul sound. I have heard PRS guitars are easier to play.

My main guitar is currently a Stratocaster, which I love dearly.

I do enjoy a good archtop as well.

User Info Menu

I have several of both. PRS overall quality is better than even the gibson Custom shop ( I have 3 ). All are fine instruments.
    Comparisons outside of that are highly subjective . What really matters is the person playing it, not the instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67 View Post
    Different worlds. A non-trem singlecut vs a doublecut trem. Then there’s how the amp is dialed in. Les Pauls and 335’s can sound dark. If you set up an amp to work well with a LP and then switch to something else (whatever it is) then it may not sound as good. PRS is about sustain, clarity and making a guitar ring like a bell. So yes, if you switch from a LP to a PRS (especially a trem version) then it’s going to be a heck of a difference.

Technical stuff aside, people who are totally into Gibson (or Fender) are rarely impressed by a PRS and that’s putting it mildly. Personally I made the switch to PRS long ago and have never looked back, but it’s not because of any A/B videos. You need to hear them in the room and experience how they interact with the amp and with you. Then there’s the clarity, I mean play a 6/9 chord or a Hendrix chord or the James Bond chord and it’s an epiphany. But they’re certainly not for everybody and it’s not uncommon to see big names going back from PRS to Gibson.
    Well Santana and McLaughlin certainly went whole hog with PRS. And John Mayer (though he was a Strat guy previously).

I like McLaughlin’s sound on PRS. He even plays it with Shakti these days - prefers it because of hand arthritis.

Santana’s best tone IMO though was his Yamaha SG, e.g., Moonflower.

I’ve never even held a PRS though. Probably best I don’t because then I’d want one LOL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    Well Santana and McLaughlin certainly went whole hog with PRS. And John Mayer (though he was a Strat guy previously).

I like McLaughlin’s sound on PRS. He even plays it with Shakti these days - prefers it because of hand arthritis.

Santana’s best tone IMO though was his Yamaha SG, e.g., Moonflower.

I’ve never even held a PRS though. Probably best I don’t because then I’d want one LOL.
    That's funny, I've never held one either!

I've always just had an LP, strat and telecaster for solids, they have the classic sounds and always worked for me.

I'm not crazy about the PRS asthetics, and I'm a bird lover!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    I have several of both. PRS overall quality is better than even the gibson Custom shop ( I have 3 ). All are fine instruments.
    Comparisons outside of that are highly subjective . What really matters is the person playing it, not the instrument.
    +1!!

I also own PRS and Gibson solid body guitars, and never compare one to the other. I play them for enjoyment and appreciate what each brand brings to the table. I've gigged them both over the years and have not found fault with either in tone or feel...they're just different interpretations on the solid body guitar with unique designs and electronics.

That said, I think PRS (USA) build quality equals or surpasses Gibson 'Custom Shop'. As far as tone, feel etc. that's more of personal preference in my view.

User Info Menu

I have a PRS and am happy with it. Never had a Les Paul, though I have played a friend's.
    Had a Strat for a long time and miss it sometimes. Have a cheap Tele that I like fine too.
    But the PRS (SE Custom) has become the guitar I pick up every day now.
    To each his own.

I should probably change my avatar!

User Info Menu

I have one PRS JA-15. I have no desire for another PRS.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    I have one PRS JA-15. I have no desire for another PRS.
    That might be my ultimate bucket list guitar. Never saw one, never played one. How do you like it?

User Info Menu

I've only ever tried 2 PRSs and that was decades ago. The first was briefly for a couple of numbers at a jam night. Didn't know what model it was. The amp was a Rivera. Both beautiful pieces of kit but I was mostly a Tele player then and was more comfortable with my 80s Tele and Musicman rp65.
    The 2nd was a new 513 which I'd read about and was really interested in. It was in a store at about £2500 back then. Unfortunately the set up was appalling and I couldn't get it it tune. When I mentioned to the assistant that it needed a set - up he got shirty with me. I lost interest after that. Bought my first real LP in 2010 - a 2004 std. I'm still using the LP with the MM!