The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I’m new to modelers and multi effects units: are there on the web some good guides about how to choose the one which fits your needs?
    and some tips about how to set up tones…

I have a boss me 80 which seems to me just a toy and not a pro tool. But maybe I’m not good enough to set it up.
    I need some smooth overdrive tone and some fat clean (delay, compressor, reverb) that I hear around on the web but I’m not able to replicate.

I’ve always been a guitar-cable-amp guy but lately my taste has changed.

thanks for any advice.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't believe there is a single source for advice on setting up a signal chain. There are lots of videos on U tube. Many are useless or worse (with bad advice). Some are informative.

It requires time, learning, and some investment to get a high quality sound.

User Info Menu

There's nothing for it but to put in the time.

I suggest you set a price target range and then investigate what's available in that price range more closely. Say your price range was US$500-$700, you'd be able to include Line 6 HX Effects, HX Stomp, Boss GX-100, and probably several others. Start watching YouTube videos about those boxes.

There's not much conceptual difference between a bunch of pedals and a multi-effects box. Start simple, with maybe a reverb, and get used to that; then add some modulation, and play with that awhile, and so forth.

One thing to be aware of is that most of the market for multi-effects boxes is for non-jazz players. Amp simulation/emulation is particularly big right now, and many of the manufacturers emphasize that in their promotional materials. But as a jazz player, amp simulation is not going to be of much use to you, especially distorted amp simulation. So be on the lookout for YouTube presentation that feature something other than a distortophile wanking out on every heavy-metal sound available.

Unfortunately, hyperbole and perfectionism are all over product reviews for multi-effects boxes. Be careful about that.

And BTW it would probably help you to have some sounds in mind that you're trying to produce. Is there a player whose sound you're trying to emulate? Find out what they use (effects, I mean, not brands of multi-effects box so much.) Otherwise you might just get lost in the non-useful details and just confuse yourself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gianluca View Post
    I’m new to modelers and multi effects units: are there on the web some good guides about how to choose the one which fits your needs?
    and some tips about how to set up tones…

I have a boss me 80 which seems to me just a toy and not a pro tool. But maybe I’m not good enough to set it up.
    I need some smooth overdrive tone and some fat clean (delay, compressor, reverb) that I hear around on the web but I’m not able to replicate.

I’ve always been a guitar-cable-amp guy but lately my taste has changed.

thanks for any advice.
    I used the ME80 for years. I've seen working pros use the ME series. I liked the reverb well enough, although I still added some at the amp. I never quite figured out the delay. I never could improve my sound with the compressor. And, I never got an overdrive sound I really liked and I tried with the OD/DS module and with the preamp.

I did use the modulation effects, a bit of the delay, the volume pedal and some EQ.

I tried the ME90. It has a lot of positive reviews of the preamps and some built in modeling. I didn't like any of the preamps (unlike many players) and I found the modeling to be confusing to use. Others have advised that higher end products are easier to use, but I don't have any experience with that level of modeling.
    One thing that might work for you is that it has an FX loop, meaning you could add an overdrive to the system and cover what the ME90 might be weakest at.

I traded in my ME80 for the ME90 and then returned the ME90. I still had the ME70 and that's what I'm using now. Perhaps surprisingly, the ME70 has two advantages over the newer models. It has 4 band EQ, not just 3 band. And, it's narrower. It fits in an ordinary rolling briefcase, which the others do not. To my ear and for what I do, it sounds about as good as the ME80.

User Info Menu

I don't know how much I have spent on effects over the last decade. And pedal boards, power supplies, and other bits. Lots of currency has flowed in that direction. Some I use, some I don't. It's actually been a good journey. I have learned a lot and I'm very happy with my tone and the flexibility I've achieved.

That being said.. if I were going to start today, I would buy a Fractal FM3 even if it is a bit pricey. High quality input and output circuits, well thought out, more than you'll ever need as you explore the possibilities.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill View Post

And BTW it would probably help you to have some sounds in mind that you're trying to produce. Is there a player whose sound you're trying to emulate? Find out what they use (effects, I mean, not brands of multi-effects box so much.)
    Good point!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
    I don't know how much I have spent on effects over the last decade. And pedal boards, power supplies, and other bits. Lots of currency has flowed in that direction. Some I use, some I don't. It's actually been a good journey. I have learned a lot and I'm very happy with my tone and the flexibility I've achieved.

That being said.. if I were going to start today, I would buy a Fractal FM3 even if it is a bit pricey. High quality input and output circuits, well thought out, more than you'll ever need as you explore the possibilities.
    I might too, but remember that you (and I) have had extensive experience with all of the real items: amps, OD's, delays, modulation etc. That previous knowledge takes you pretty far with one of these types of units. For others, the Fractal has a very steep learning curve, and sucks up time that might be better spent playing the instrument, instead of twirling buttons. Ask me how I know!

User Info Menu

I've been in the Multi-FX game for a good 30 years now , starting out with a 4-preset BOSS pedal, moving on through the follow-up BOSS pedals and ended up with a HELIX Stomp modeler which has been my only unit for the past 3 or 4 years and I don't plan on getting anything new. Now the learning curve is not THAT steep but you have to put in some time and LEARN the architecture of the unit, hook it up to your computer and check out the many VERY informative and time-saving tutorials on the web. No shortcuts - but it will def. be worth your while : the quality of the converters, the layout, the actual models of the amps, speakers, fx etc., the small footprint, the constant updates and all make this an incredible pedal and it's not really that expensive either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman View Post
    I've been in the Multi-FX game for a good 30 years now , starting out with a 4-preset BOSS pedal, moving on through the follow-up BOSS pedals and ended up with a HELIX Stomp modeler which has been my only unit for the past 3 or 4 years and I don't plan on getting anything new. Now the learning curve is not THAT steep but you have to put in some time and LEARN the architecture of the unit, hook it up to your computer and check out the many VERY informative and time-saving tutorials on the web. No shortcuts - but it will def. be worth your while : the quality of the converters, the layout, the actual models of the amps, speakers, fx etc., the small footprint, the constant updates and all make this an incredible pedal and it's not really that expensive either.
    thanks to everyone for the advices.

I think my unit (boss me80) is pretty an entry level multi effect.
    But I like very much the wide availability of knobs and buttons which allows me adjustements on the fly on stage (the tone you could preset at home might be different in stage).

Could anyone address me to a pro multi effect unit (fractal, helix, kemper, etc) which has the same construction?
    something that allows both presets and manual adjustement on stage.

User Info Menu

Gianluca, if I understand your post correctly, you don't need amp modelling, just fx, right?

If that's the case, brands seem to have stopped investing in that type of product (of course you can always use a modeller without the modelling part), so there's not that many options.

The best current unit for that is the Line6 HXFX, which has all the fx from the Helix world minus the modelling. It's fairly small and light and has everything to replace a pedalboard: tuner with center frequency adjustment (very useful for jazzers and rarer than you would think) and lots of overdrives, modulations and time-based fx. There's always a discussion about the quality of the fx and some brands are certainly better on that regard (like Fractal) but you pay a lot more. I find the overdrives to be good but not gread and I like the time-based effects, especially the new Dynamic Reverbs, like the plate and the hall (NOT the Spring). Apparently they were designed by a guy that used to work from Lexicon! I also really enjoy the eqs and the LA-2A compressor is stellar.

Another nice thing is they included an IR loader with mix control - so you can use a preamp pedal before it and then use the IRs for cab simulation. Or use an acoustic and use an IR/mix control to help the sound.

The two main flaws, in my view, are no adjustable input impedance (so it's hard to use the fuzzes if you don't use a buffer before) and no balanced outs, not even TRS. So, if you want to go trough a PA, you might need a DI after the HXFX. If you're going to the amp's input, you're fine.

Hope this helps. And IMO the HXFX is a big step up from the ME80 - others might disagree.

User Info Menu

This is my jazz rig
    I need help about multi effects/ modelers-es-175-polytone-2-jpg
    And my rock/pop and anything else rig. I still use a 1996 boss ME8 and don't consider it to be a toy. No amp modelling required.
    And normally a Gibby LP or SG!
    I need help about multi effects/ modelers-guitar-rig-jpg

User Info Menu

Choice of fx is very subjective and personal. My dream rig might be your nightmare. Therefore, do a hands-on test drive of as many candidates as possible at music stores and jam sessions. Go to live shows to hear what other players use. If you can, ask them in person what they like and don't like about their rig.

You're going to spend a lot of time on this, so make it enjoyable - not doing your homework and trying to shortcut this by just taking someone else's advice is guaranteed to make this project cost more money and take more time for a less-satisfying result.

Whatever you buy, plan on 6 months of "new gear hell" while you learn to use it and to dial in its sound to your liking. Tip: when it comes to fx, less is more. Manufacturer's presets tend to be over-effected to show off the features of the unit at bedroom/demo room levels; at gigging volumes, less fx sounds better. You want your instrumental tone to take its proper place in the band mix, not to be buried in a wash of signal-processing.

Shop used gear. Your money goes twice as far. If you are not confident in your ability to thoroughly inspect said gear for deal-breaking flaws, recruit a more-experienced player to help you make a final purchase decision. For example, suppose you shop all the fx units new and used at all the local stores and then you find what you think you want in a Craigslist ad. Bring your friend with to get a second opinion and a thorough test drive before you part with your cash. This may not be as big a deal if you are buying from a reputable store that stands behind the sale. Buying used can be really cost-effective, but the phrase "caveat emptor" could not apply more.

Lastly, be prepared for GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) that may last a lifetime. What you love this year may not seem so great later on. So don't rush into it. Take your time and do your homework.

User Info Menu

It's been a couple of decades since I used anything, but if those needs returned it would be a Carl Martin Quattro. Very high quality, captive line cord to internal transformer (24V), small footprint, easy to use - just foot buttons and knobs. All analog except for one chip in the echo. About 16" wide, 4 lbs.

I need help about multi effects/ modelers-q-png