The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 80

User Info Menu

Guitars are not a good investment because younger generations show no interest in collecting them. They do not have money and they did not grow up with guitar music. Besides, most collections will be sold as deceased estates, which adds supply to the market. Prices for guitars are likely to go the same way as those for antique furniture and china: down.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick View Post
    Guitars are not a good investment because younger generations show no interest in collecting them. They do not have money and they did not grow up with guitar music. Besides, most collections will be sold as deceased estates, which adds supply to the market. Prices for guitars are likely to go the same way as those for antique furniture and china: down.
    This is an internet canard with no basis in truth. Plenty of young guys want old guitars, and many of them are reaching the stage of life where they can afford them. Plus, they in fact did all grow up with guitar music. Plus, guitars come on and off the market independent of estates. Plus, blue chip (desirable vintage ones in particular) have gone up and down, but mostly up. They are probably at record highs right now.

What has changed will affect all of the folks who bought guitars, new and used, during Covid, and now either don't want to play or don't have the time to play. They expect to make up the money they spent, and be able to resell their new Les Pauls for the same as new ones. Sadly that anomaly of the market appears to be over.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill View Post
    This is an internet canard with no basis in truth. Plenty of young guys want old guitars, and many of them are reaching the stage of life where they can afford them. Plus, they in fact did all grow up with guitar music. Plus, guitars come on and off the market independent of estates. Plus, blue chip (desirable vintage ones in particular) have gone up and down, but mostly up. They are probably at record highs right now.

What has changed will affect all of the folks who bought guitars, new and used, during Covid, and now either don't want to play or don't have the time to play. They expect to make up the money they spent, and be able to resell their new Les Pauls for the same as new ones. Sadly that anomaly of the market appears to be over.
    The Uk market seems to have ground to a complete halt and the £ is likely to crash this year or next.
    If the $ stays stable then the Uk is going to be very attractive to US buyers.

User Info Menu

I have bought exactly one guitar as an investment, and it was a singular one-time opportunity. I wouldn't even consider using guitars as a regular investment vehicle. Some people appear to do so, and some of those are selling guitars here every few weeks. I have no clue as to how much profit they are turning, and don't care. It's not something I'm interested in.

As for the spell check investment, I'm done trying to read the OP's posts. Life is too short to spend time trying to decipher that word salad.

User Info Menu

There’s investment with the intent of making money. Not into that, doesn’t seem like fun. And there’s investment with the intent of enjoying otherwise unused money by temporarily converting it into a few guitars, without losing money. That’s fun provided you buy used and with some common sense.

User Info Menu

I find Reverb to be a good place to buy and sell as long as you do you your homework about prices and are patient. But it has its downsides. For a seller, buyers can be difficult to deal with, and fees can eat away your profits. That said, it’s the biggest marketplace for used guitars, and the site itself works quite well. If I were to actively pursue guitar buying and selling as a moneymaking venture, I would use it rather than trying to build my own e-commerce site.

But I have no intention of doing that, so it’s a moot point. I buy guitars to keep and play. I sell them in order offset the cost of purchases and to keep the “collection” at a limited size (due to limited space and desire to collect).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67 View Post
    There’s investment with the intent of making money. Not into that, doesn’t seem like fun. And there’s investment with the intent of enjoying otherwise unused money by temporarily converting it into a few guitars, without losing money. That’s fun provided you buy used and with some common sense.
    That sounds about right. We all, well at least I do, dream of finding a "closet queen"--a '59 Les Paul or something--that is being sold at an estate sale or by a bereaved relative for an insanely low price. (Same thing with cars--the barn find Shelby Mustang for instance...) That is probably not gonna happen. Almost everyone has access to up-to-date information on market prices. Anything super rare will be sold at consignment by a shop which specializes in such and knows their stuff. Heck, even the pawn shops around here know the market for vintage gear better than most guitar nuts.

I'm sure as with any collectible item there are high rollers who will spend $200K on a guitar and anticipate it will double in price in a few years. Most of those people are not actually musicians though...

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    I find Reverb to be a good place to buy and sell as long as you do you your homework about prices and are patient. But it has its downsides. For a seller, buyers can be difficult to deal with, and fees can eat away your profits. That said, it’s the biggest marketplace for used guitars, and the site itself works quite well. If I were to actively pursue guitar buying and selling as a moneymaking venture, I would use it rather than trying to build my own e-commerce site.

But I have no intention of doing that, so it’s a moot point. I buy guitars to keep and play. I sell them in order offset the cost of purchases and to keep the “collection” at a limited size (due to limited space and desire to collect).
    I have bought on Reverb but not sold anything there. It seems to have "fixed" some of the problems we used to see with Ebay. Of course there are fees, but there are consignment fees if you go through a shop, and of course time is money when you're trying to sell it yourself.

It is a very well-designed website with a lot of information about the products.

As an aside back in the day I used to troll Ebay and look for items that were misspelled. For instance, "Gisbon guitar", "Stanely handplane". Sellers were probably wondering why they only had 2 bids instead of 100 and their item sold for a fraction of what they thought it would.

Not sure if the fuzzy logic has fixed that, but somehow I'm not surprised to see that people still put "Gisbon" or "Stanely" in their listings...

i have a number of USA ,ade guitars i picked up mostly because the price was rite and i figured since i have allways done so poorly in the stock market i would rather stock pile guitars?
    i love guitars of all differant modals so its easy for me to justify haveing them.
    but i am temped to trying m hand at flipping a few?
    i am old so its not like i would be building a career out of it mostly just maybe make a little burger money and get some nice guitars through my hand and maybe keep one i fall for from time to time.
    i a few hand invention in the music industry made and designed some things. i am not super well off but i do okay so it would be more of a hobby for me?

User Info Menu

To the OP:

Reading your posts feels a bit like reading a ransom note in a kidnapping.

Just saying......

guys if you dont care to read my post you dont have to.
    i admit i am very little education i strugle with spelling i am not a compuer guy i tried for years typeing respeonces in text edit and spelling checing them copy and post and i am old i am not doing ing i have to much in life that i love and i am done strugle for someones grammer aprovale.
    my editor usse to corect my artlcles but i am not writing much if any so i just am over it.
    you do not have to degrage or barade or publicly scold me.
    if you choose not to take me seriously them you will not hurt my feelings i have the apoval of my peers i am good.

you WILL not run me off if i leave it will be my choise because there nothing of interst left here.
    i have friends that told some you where snooty but i figure i can take it.

so ignore me if it makes you feel better, but i would but demean scold or barade any of you if you where ingrant to something i found stupidly simple.

its just childish IMHO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
    i admit i am very little education i strugle with spelling i am not a compuer guy i tried for years typeing respeonces in text edit and spelling checing them copy and post and i am old i am not doing ing i have to much in life that i love and i am done strugle for someones grammer aprovale.
    my editor usse to corect my artlcles but i am not writing much if any so i just am over it.
    if you choose not to take me seriously them you will not hurt my feelings i have the apoval of my peers i am good.

you WILL not run me off if i leave it will be my choise because there nothing of interst left here.

so ignore me if it makes you feel better, but i would but demean scold or barade any of you if you where ingrant to something i found stupidly simple.

its just childish IMHO
    Pan 60, as on any online forum, you will find "snooty" members and just regular folks. The majority of the replies you have received have been constructive and informative. No one is trying to run you off for asking a valid question.
    Many of the posts on this forum are from English as a second language members, and while they can get a bit convoluted at times, other members try their best to answer questions to the best of their ability.
    The forum does have a spell check feature in place and it is very easy to use. Quite a few members of this forum, including myself, struggled to get through University by doing odd jobs, dead end tasks and crappy gigs. Nobody is expecting Tom Wolfe quality descriptions here, however, many members here are excellent writers.
    As far as your initial question, it really can be answered best by you. If you love guitars and are willing to take a few intelligent risks in your senior years, I'd advise you to invest in Guitars till the cows come home.

well i have not notice the spell check feature maybe i am just not seing it?
    were is that found?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pan60 View Post

its just childish IMHO
    Please consider that I'm not saying this to attack you or police your grammar ...

The purpose of writing is to communicate. If you write in a non-standard way full of eccentric spellings and punctuation, you sabotage communication. Assuming you're asking questions in order to seek information, and doing so in a forum in order to participate in a community, perhaps consider that making a greater effort to have your writing be more readable would greatly improve the chances of you getting what you want. I can guarantee you that there are otherwise friendly and informative people not responding to your posts because of the effort involved in deciphering them.

User Info Menu

Remember, a good investment is where you buy low and sell high. Prices are high right now. We came out of a COVID influenced bubble so they seem to be trending down, but it's still high. Don't buy high, the only place to sell then is low.

Invest using a 10 or 20 year view.

Flipping guitars is a different thing. Just open craigslist in one browser and reverb in another, look for things on CL that are at least 25% cheaper than Reverb. You'll need a buffer of at least 25% for shipping and fees to break even. It costs about $100 to ship a guitar.

At the end of the day, it's easier to just get a job and dump your money in a 401k.

User Info Menu

I feel like we should let Pan60 write how he/she likes.

I left school with no qualifications and am dyslexic. I can't spell for toffee. I'm nervous every time I write in case it's not good enough.
    When I use a PC there is no auto correct. I assume the same for Pan.
    It took me 3 attempts just now to correctly spell 'qualifications'; and I nervously sat waiting for the red line to pop up each time.

Communicating is not easy.

As Churchill would say, "jaw jaw is better than war war".

I appreciate others want him to improve his communicating because they're eager to have a fellow member with something to contribute and poor writing, does make that harder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr View Post
    A few years ago I added an inflation calculator to the spreadsheet that lists all my guitars.

Most of the guitars are not appreciating. However, some do hold their value and some have depriciated.

For example here. The hand made Yamaha classical GC-50 would probably only sell for $2000, maybe less. (Purchase price today's dollars $6008.97) while the Korina flying V re-issue might sell for $8000 (purchase price in today's dollars $4092.04), and the Ibanez ES-175 might sell for $1200 (purchase price today's dollars $763.04).

Attachment 111482

There seems to be some basic confusion on buying and selling guitars versus actual investments. If you had put that $2835 for the Yamaha in a very basic interest bearing account earning 4% it would have grown to $9412. If you had taken that $2835 in 1994 and put it in a S&P 500 index fund, it would be worth $55,062. Simplistic view.. taxes play a part both on investments and selling guitars. Still..

Guitars are to be enjoyed and they are part of why we work hard and make good investment choices. However, guitars are not investments.

User Info Menu

As a non native-english speaker, the inherent spelling discussion in this thread reminded me of this hilarious video I came across some time ago

User Info Menu

(and the follow up)

User Info Menu

As for the main topic: buying guitars as an investment, I've never done that as I buy guitars for the love of guitars and playing them (and have sold lots of them, over the years, for the need of money at the time), however, I caought myself once thinking that, if I could afford it I'd probabily buy a Gibson Citation as and investment, play it (very cautiously) for one or two days and then store it an bank caveau. Though I'm not an expert on investments... would that be a good investment, in theory? Well, I did hear the story about people (back in the 70's and 80's) buying Les Pauls and keeping them in the caveau of a bank (may of them could not play guitar BTW). I guess that was good as an investment... no?

User Info Menu

The value of your investments might also be affected by events beyond your control:

'Many of the scientists envisage a “semi-dystopian” future, with famines, conflicts and mass migration, driven by heatwaves, wildfires, floods and storms of an intensity and frequency far beyond those that have already struck.'

User Info Menu

I was fortunate enough to acquire some great gear in the '80's and '90s. A couple of vintage Fenders and a nice '60 ES345, late '60's L5CES etc. I got them all because I needed them for the musical work I was doing, and I needed a variety of sounds. One day I walked by a store and saw a '60's strat like mine in the window for $5K- I was totally shocked. I hadn't followed the market for some years, and the prices just exploded.

Fast forward to today, and of course the prices are even higher, despite the big downturn following the dot com bust. I was able to sell a nice telecaster and a rare amp back then for a tidy sum- in fact I feel that I have funded a lifetime of guitars with those sales- except of course the money is gone! But I kept several guitars and amps in the arsenal to this day.

With fine vintage gear, I feel that the easy money has been made. However, if you can afford a blue chip item, I believe you will break even or even make a little going forward. They aren't making any more of them.

With new gear, not so much. I have a custom ordered archtop (Campy) and I don't expect to make any money on something like that, as great as it is. But I bought it to play and have no regrets. Guitars were depreciating assets for decades, only the rare ones have held their value as far as I can see.

As others have said: prices depend on a lot of factors beyond your control or knowledge, such as what rock star is playing it. They are a pain to sell, even with Reverb. No way I have any interest in getting into flipping guitars!

As has been said, buy it because you want to play it. Your profit is the pleasure and musical progress that playing it will give you.

Hey- maybe John Mayer will pick up a Campellone!

User Info Menu

Guitars are tools to make music; buy a painting, or a classic car (?).

I'm ok with the OP's spelling as it's easy to follow if you read it aloud. A lot of English spelling is a joke, anyway, and a waste of photographic memory. But dude: "i have been think"? That ain't natural sounding.

Frabarmus, I had seen that Aaron Alon video before, he's great. Ciao

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus View Post
    As for the main topic: buying guitars as an investment, I've never done that as I buy guitars for the love of guitars and playing them (and have sold lots of them, over the years, for the need of money at the time), however, I caought myself once thinking that, if I could afford it I'd probabily buy a Gibson Citation as and investment, play it (very cautiously) for one or two days and then store it an bank caveau. Though I'm not an expert on investments... would that be a good investment, in theory? Well, I did hear the story about people (back in the 70's and 80's) buying Les Pauls and keeping them in the caveau of a bank (may of them could not play guitar BTW). I guess that was good as an investment... no?

Not a good investment. A Gibson citation is not a vintage Les Paul, it'll never be in as much demand as a vintage Les Paul. And back in the 70s a Les Paul wasn't $10,000.

If you want to play a citation, buy it. If you want to invest in something, drop your money in an IRA.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus View Post
    As a non native-english speaker, the inherent spelling discussion in this thread reminded me of this hilarious video I came across some time ago

User Info Menu

As long as the writer doesn’t misuse the apostrophe—I bought 2 guitar’s today—I’m OK.

I like a bit of a linguistic challenge.