The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

The first and last Guild Artist Award.

Family Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-8-13-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-9-13-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-1-13-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-2-13-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-5-13-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-4-13-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-6-13-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-7-13-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-10-13-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-11-13-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-12-13-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-13-13-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-10-13-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-11-13-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-12-13-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-artist-award-13-13-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitars! What are the years?

I assume you're doing some work on the burst guitar and will string it up eventually?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    Beautiful guitars! What are the years?

I assume you're doing some work on the burst guitar and will

string it up eventually?
    Hey DJ

The years are 1961 and 1994. The burst is a Johnny Smith Award and it likely wont be restrung for some time; It needs to be re-fretted.
    I'm also happy to take the tension off the neck. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

User Info Menu

Wow Archie!
    Those guitars are amazingly beautiful. Great condition too!
    They must be great to have. Thanks for sharing bud.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Wow Archie!
    Those guitars are amazingly beautiful. Great condition too!
    They must be great to have. Thanks for sharing bud.
    JD
    You’re welcome mate.

I’m gonna do a proper video and deep dive. Specs, measurements, internals etc..
    Plus I have the benny artist too, so all 3 will be part of it.
    Last edited by Archie; 05-07-2024 at 08:52 AM.

User Info Menu

No wonder it's taking so long to build one... :)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    No wonder it's taking so long to build one...
    It might sound foolish but my videos on archtops often get thousands of views.

My videos on the workshop get hundreds.

I see the archtop videos as my best form of marketing. When people outside of this place are watching my archtop videos on Youtube, I can link them to my building operation.

That’s why I’m putting together interesting collections of archtops to not only use them for R&D but for attention/marketing.

I need to do both at the same time and marketing is a one way expense. There are no refunds.
    A machine you can sell and get some money back, marketing is like burning money. This way I’m trying to minimise my costs but that also means increasing time, however it is an effective device for growing my platform.

User Info Menu

Just subscribed to your channel. Can’t wait to see you get up and running! Best of luck to you Archie!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    Just subscribed to your channel. Can’t wait to see you get up and running! Best of luck to you Archie!

Thanks G

User Info Menu

Great pics, thanks. So is the first one Hoboken and the last one Westerly?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco View Post
    Great pics, thanks. So is the first one Hoboken and the last one Westerly?
    Hey Rickco

Yes the JSAA is from Hoboken and the AA is from Westerly.

User Info Menu

I made a pickguard for the 93 Artist Award.
    Not a fan of the later style and I have a Dearmond RC1000 on the way so thought it best to make a new guard.
    It’s an amalgamation of 3 different Guild type guards from 3 differing eras.

I wanted the guard to have the same shape as the AA’s from the 70’s, which was like a D’Angelico, in the art deco style.
    I also wanted to have the old Guild logo in the traditional 60’s font and I wanted the offset gold piping from the 50’s, although they carried that through till the late 70’s.

Here are the pictures I used to build the guard.

Family Reunited After 33 Years.-pickguard-png Family Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-logo-pngFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-offset-pipiing-jpg

And this is what came of it.

Family Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-aa-pickguard-3-4-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-aa-pickguard-4-4-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-aa-pickguard-2-4-jpegFamily Reunited After 33 Years.-guild-aa-pickguard-1-4-jpeg

This is my first attempt at making a pickguard. Happy with the results but there is s reasonable amount of room for improvement.
    I’ll likely machine a final version tomorrow and make it just a little bit smaller.
    Attached Images Attached Images Family Reunited After 33 Years.-7f04cc3e-3bad-4c42-9102-b3fbc79e2d6f-jpg 
    Last edited by Archie; 05-08-2024 at 06:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Dagnab!

Back in 1982 the guy I was apprenticed to said something about fret-mills that has proven true about everything else:
    "Sam, the first two hundred are the toughest."

You are so well on the way, maestro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
    Dagnab!

Back in 1982 the guy I was apprenticed to said something about fret-mills that has proven true about everything else:
    "Sam, the first two hundred are the toughest."

You are so well on the way, maestro!
    Thanks Sam, you're too kind.
    In comparison to making a guitar, this pickguard build was a bit of playtime.
    As my journey continues, my respect for luthiers (which was already high) and production managers, gets higher and higher.
    The further I get into this, the less sure I am that I can pull it off.
    Ignorance is bliss; I'd like 5 minutes of that.
    Last edited by Archie; 05-08-2024 at 06:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Archie! That is crazy bro! I am proud of you man. You had a vision and put a tremendous amount time and money into this.
    I sincerely hope you make it big. Plus, you have one of those voices that makes ANY thing you say sound great!
    You are a good guy. Smart. Great ideas.
    I can’t wait to see/hear some product!
    Awesome.
    JD

User Info Menu

That sunburst model is dinged. Forget it!

I'm kidding I'm kidding lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Archie! That is crazy bro! I am proud of you man. You had a vision and put a tremendous amount time and money into this.
    I sincerely hope you make it big. Plus, you have one of those voices that makes ANY thing you say sound great!
    You are a good guy. Smart. Great ideas.
    I can’t wait to see/hear some product!
    Awesome.
    JD
    Thanks Joe,

You've always been a source of positive energy and I'm hoping that if I get to actually make a damn prototype, I'll send it out your way for feedback.

I want to add that I appreciate that just because I've spent money, it doesn't mean I've bought the right to be anything other, than what I can try and do through hard work.
    I'm not trying to buy my way in, or spend my way to something I can't rightfully earn. Guitar building is far too complex for that even if I wanted to.

I just wanted to hit a certain sector of the market and it required that level of investment/commitment, for me to have the slightest chance. I'm a not a luthier but I hope to be a respected manufacturer.

P.s I know your money comment wasn't a negative one.
    Last edited by Archie; 05-08-2024 at 09:13 PM.