The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Robben Ford sounded absolutely wicked on a Super 400 playing blues with Jimmy Witherspoon!

I've never tried one, but it's such an elusive dream guitar for me. There's something about it that's just like a grand piano. I'm 28 this week so still young!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Enlightened Rogue
    T-Bone Walker squeezed some sweet blue notes out of his archtop guitar.
    Fenton Robinson had his own sound with an archtop.
    Nice, but if I only listen I'm just hearing electric guitar.

Louis Nowak is a talented young guitarist who plays an acoustic archtop often.
    Olli Soikkeli is another young guitarist who plays archtop guitars regularly also.
    Yeah, indeed, the thread title doesn't say it's about young people who discovered the jazz box ... to play jazz on...

Two of my favourite young archtop players using a somewhat different kind of box outside the box:

User Info Menu

Turned 29 this year and I suppose 'young' is a relative term (I feel old, or at least 'older') and I played strats for the longest time. When I got into Joe Pass and got my first archtop I found I played it all the time simply because I'm lazy and don't like plugging it in or dealing with the amp and signal chain. I love the sound of archtops and there is really something about having a big mass of wood vibrating against your torso as you play

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chris32895
    there is really something about having a big mass of wood vibrating against your torso as you play
    Good vibrations indeed (esp. in "classical position" )

User Info Menu

Not exactly a full jazzbox but almost – and the artist-composer-producer SANNI is definitely not jazz! She is one of the most succesful Finnish pop artists in last decade.

Younger guitarists are discovering the joys of having a jazz box. Good!-sanni-jpeg

User Info Menu

And the counter to this trend is that all the rock/blues guys who are brand new and have only heard jazz once in their entire life all think that a Telecaster is a jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

But a telecaster...never mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood View Post
    And the counter to this trend is that all the rock/blues guys who are brand new and have only heard jazz once in their entire life all think that a Telecaster is a jazz guitar.
    No, they think big jazz boxes are jazz guitars. They think Telecasters are "old man" or "Grandpa" guitars (Also, "the guitar the lead singer who only knows 3 chords plays to look cool" )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    But a telecaster...never mind.
    yeah i know....Ed Bickert....right....