The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My Ibanez AF75G has got Classic Elite ceramic pups. They're good, though I don't know if they have that classic "warm, mellow" jazz tone. Still using my stock strings -- 10-52 nickel roundwound, so maybe that's why the guitar seems more like a blues guitar than a jazz box.

Got to play an Ibanez GB10EM at Guitar Center, which has Magic Touch mini-humbuckers and 11-50 flatwounds. Did have that warm jazzy tone, and maybe some bluesy sound, as well.

Can Magic Touch mini-humbuckers be installed on an AF75? Was thinking about turning my guitar into something like the GB10EM, though it has two less frets than the GB10EM. It does have the same walnut fretboard and seems to play as easily as the Benson model.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lydian_dorian View Post
    My Ibanez AF75G has got Classic Elite ceramic pups. They're good, though I don't know if they have that classic "warm, mellow" jazz tone. Still using my stock strings -- 10-52 nickel roundwound, so maybe that's why the guitar seems more like a blues guitar than a jazz box.

Got to play an Ibanez GB10EM at Guitar Center, which has Magic Touch mini-humbuckers and 11-50 flatwounds. Did have that warm jazzy tone, and maybe some bluesy sound, as well.

Can Magic Touch mini-humbuckers be installed on an AF75? Was thinking about turning my guitar into something like the GB10EM, though it has two less frets than the GB10EM. It does have the same walnut fretboard and seems to play as easily as the Benson model.
    Based on pics Your guitar has full size humbuckers. I am not sure if there is a MT mini hum that can be installed to a humbucker ring with the side screws, all I find on the net are meant to attach to the end of the neck or to pickguard.

Of course it can be tinkered to fit, but I guess it would be easier to try to change the strings first. Maybe they give You the warm jazz sound with Your stock pickups.

User Info Menu

A cheaper alternative might be to replace the volume pot (a 500k, I believe) with a 250k. That might just give you the warmer tone that you’re looking for.

User Info Menu

or
    just try an Alnico2 humbucker
    in the neck position

that should warm it up cp to
    ceramic ….

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lydian_dorian View Post

The short answer is no. The longer answer is yes with a lot of expense and trouble if you can even buy the pickups separately, it would probably be cheaper to buy the GB10EM.

The cheapest answer is experiment with pickup height adjustment, try different strings like the 11-50 flatwounds or pure nickel roundwounds, twiddle the knobs on your amp and guitar, try different picks (the D'Andrea ProPlec picks tend to give a dark, round tone). If your guitar has a metal Tune-O-Matic type bridge, try a wood bridge (some Ibanez models come with both).