The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Dear all, I'm pretty new to guitar and VERY new to jazz guitar and have an itch for an archtop. My criteria is one with a single pickup, 3.0" thick maximum (a bit less is fine and maybe better given my body and bum shoulder!!), 16" bout, and a price (in the U.S.) of no more than $2,500.

I'm leaning strongly towards a new guitar - I've looked at specs on Eastman, Guild, Peerles. Comins and Conti. A few that stand out are the Eastman AR503CE, the Guild Newark Street A50, Peerless Monarch Custom 16, Conti Heirloom and a Comins GCS-16-1 (which is particularly attractive to me), so any comments on any of those would help.

But I suspect folks here will know of many others that fit my criteria.

Thanks for any suggestions, comments, recommendations, etc

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wmlaven View Post
    Dear all, I'm pretty new to guitar and VERY new to jazz guitar and have an itch for an archtop. My criteria is one with a single pickup, 3.0" thick maximum (a bit less is fine and maybe better given my body and bum shoulder!!), 16" bout, and a price (in the U.S.) of no more than $2,500.

I'm leaning strongly towards a new guitar - I've looked at specs on Eastman, Guild, Peerles. Comins and Conti. A few that stand out are the Eastman AR503CE, the Guild Newark Street A50, Peerless Monarch Custom 16, Conti Heirloom and a Comins GCS-16-1 (which is particularly attractive to me), so any comments on any of those would help.

But I suspect folks here will know of many others that fit my criteria.

Thanks for any suggestions, comments, recommendations, etc
    I think you might mean Guild A-150, not A-50 (the A-50 is a vintage acoustic, not a current production electric)? Anyway, the A-150 is a 17" guitar, not 16". I tried a couple, and liked , but for me lack of a tone control and 17" body were deal breakers

I've played the Eastman ar503 and the Comins GC-16, but not the others you've listed (I played a couple of different Peerless archtops, but don't remember whether one was a Monarch). Those two are actually very similar, IMO, with the 503 being a bit louder unplugged due to the carved top; the two sound basically the same to me plugged in. They're both a bit bright for my tastes, but a lot of people like both, and that's really a matter of preference. There are slight differences in dimensions between the two, but I don't think those are noticeable. Basically, I think it's a coin flip. Eastman also makes the ar403 with a laminated top, which is warmer sounding than the 503 (or the Comins for that matter)

I couple of others I'd suggest looking at in that approximate size and price range are the D'Aquisto Jazz Line and the Eastam ar580ce. Other than that, I think you'll find a lot more options and better value used, but that has its own pitfalls.

User Info Menu

I have the Comins-16-1 and I had frozen shoulders. This is an excellent guitar and very comfortable to play. Shoulder pain is no joke and the position to play guitar is not ideal no matter what. A tele shaped guitar helped me while dealing with my shoulder issues. Now my Comins is the go to guitar for all occasions. I really wish I just started out with Comins instead of the various ones I tried. Perfect setup, balanced sound and comfortable. The one for sale here is a steal!

User Info Menu

Id be voting for the Comins, however I must mention I bought a Guild T50 very recently (the black dynasonic) and the quality was superb. Not sure if I just got lucky but the fret work and setup is as good as ANY guitar Ive played and it easily held its own in comparison to an original '60 SF III (in fact preferred!) only a sample of 1 so who knows but it definitely put Guild on my list of new guitars worth considering. Dont know if it matters but these are Korean as opposed to their lower cost models which are made in China. I would also mention D'Angelico semi hollows which are getting very good reviews.
    the hunt is really most if the fun!

User Info Menu

As someone with a right shoulder issue, I think I might make this decision on the basis of which guitar is most likely not to irritate the shoulder. That depends on the exact physical issue and the geometry of the guitar. Some love the way archtops feel and some (me, for example), don't.

I play a Comins GCS-1. It's a semihollow, so it's not relevant to your search except to say it's a well made instrument and Bill Comins has been available by email to support it post-sale.

User Info Menu

Did you see the Comins listed here for $1495? personally Id be pouncing on that if I was in the market and not up to my ears in guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco View Post
    Did you see the Comins listed here for $1495? personally Id be pouncing on that if I was in the market and not up to my ears in guitars.
    Dear everyone, First, I really appreciate your suggestions re: archtops and I just purchased the Comins GCS-16-1 for sale on this forum! I'm excited to have it in my hands...

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat View Post
    I have the Comins-16-1 and I had frozen shoulders. This is an excellent guitar and very comfortable to play. Shoulder pain is no joke and the position to play guitar is not ideal no matter what. A tele shaped guitar helped me while dealing with my shoulder issues. Now my Comins is the go to guitar for all occasions. I really wish I just started out with Comins instead of the various ones I tried. Perfect setup, balanced sound and comfortable. The one for sale here is a steal!
    I just bought the Comins GCS-16-1 on sale here and it was great to hear it worked fine with your bum shoulder. With guitars that aren't quite right for my body I have to get up every 30-40 minutes and hang from a chin-up bar until my shoulder pops out, but I haven't had that problem with two 16" semi- and hollow bodies that I have so I'm expecting the Collins will be great for me. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! I've never played one of those guitars, but I've heard positive things about them from everyone who has. Enjoy and may it inspire you playing for years to come!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wmlaven View Post
    I just bought the Comins GCS-16-1 on sale here and it was great to hear it worked fine with your bum shoulder. With guitars that aren't quite right for my body I have to get up every 30-40 minutes and hang from a chin-up bar until my shoulder pops out, but I haven't had that problem with two 16" semi- and hollow bodies that I have so I'm expecting the Collins will be great for me. Thanks.
    Yes! A fellow pull up bar hanger. One of the better non surgical things one can do to alleviate impingement issues (in my humble meat head opinion.) Enjoy the new guitar!

Quote Originally Posted by StoneWaller View Post
    Yes! A fellow pull up bar hanger. One of the better non surgical things one can do to alleviate impingement issues (in my humble meat head opinion.) Enjoy the new guitar!
    Yes, it really help. I saw a physical therapist who had my wife take pictures of me while playing the guitar and the PT made some good recommendations about correcting my sitting position while playing which helped. I've found that 16" hollow and semi-hollow guitars are a good height for me to rest my arm on the lower bout and that helps. Good luck with your shoulder and playing.

User Info Menu

I've been well pleased with my Guild Savoy X-150. Mine is a 2003 made in Corona. A nice used one pops up now and then and they're very comfortable to play. Usually reasonable as well. Nice tone too. Best of luck!

Need help finding an archtop suitable for me-burst2_zps702c47a3-jpg