Is this guitar ruined? Cheap for a JS
    Attention Required! | Cloudflare

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

To me it is completely ruined.

User Info Menu

That's bad.

User Info Menu

It's not a Johnny Smith anymore. I hope it served the owner well.

User Info Menu

I think people get too caught up in originality. Might work as a nice CES

User Info Menu

I was thinking of buying it and taking it apart for R&D but even at that price, I’m not interested.

Who would you sell it to at £4k?

I could buy a Guild Artists Award for that.

User Info Menu

A guitar like that has to be sold at a garage sale price. That means no risk and that price is mighty low I might add.

User Info Menu

X brace double cut. Those braces are put in there as an integrated part of a carved top, and it's a deadly compromise on intended design and structural integrity to rout a top like that...ESPECIALLY a top like that.
    It's not snobbery to say it's wrong to cut the head off a dog and sew a cat's in its place when you always wanted a cat but your wife had the family dog. It's wrong and jeeze... why didn't they sell the JS and buy a L-5CES?

Maybe something seriously wrong was there before and this was a salvage job. Either way, somebody else's error. Keep it that way.
    THat's my advice as a luthier.

User Info Menu

I don't know much about '70s JSs, and I don't remember ever seeing a JS with a volute. But the pics of this one seem to show one. Is it there and if so, can that be the original neck?

User Info Menu

I have played a 70's Johnny Smith with a volute.

User Info Menu

Structural integrity seems questionable to me at best! How can the top support both pickups? I wouldn’t chance it unless I was a luthier myself.

User Info Menu

Ow, my eyes!

User Info Menu

My L50 was in worse shape. I'd be interested in using that cut-up guitar for a project like this, but the price is still on the high side for me.

Modified Gibson Johnny Smith-aadef312f1c07dd3e9fb83601281b1e4-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57 View Post
    Structural integrity seems questionable to me at best! How can the top support both pickups? I wouldn’t chance it unless I was a luthier myself.
    Well the ad does mention "*(top X-brace cut through to mount replacement pickups, interior pedestal installed between top and back, tailpiece modified for 1/4" jack, mounting holes drilled next to bridge)"

so essentially a "sound-post" or support block holding it together [or apart depending on your viewpoint I guess]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss View Post
    Well the ad does mention "*(top X-brace cut through to mount replacement pickups, interior pedestal installed between top and back, tailpiece modified for 1/4" jack, mounting holes drilled next to bridge)"

so essentially a "sound-post" or support block holding it together [or apart depending on your viewpoint I guess]
    I wouldn't have made these changes, but I have seen similar ones made by a competent luthier. Pete Moreno put a mounted pickup in a gorgeous Heritage that was x-braced. He was able to shim a small amount off the interiors of the braces for a good fit. The bracing was stable and the guitar sounded great, but it was not the same.

Many years ago I was gigging with a Howard Roberts Artist doing blues. I had a post put in because the feedback was menacing. The post was not glued in and could be popped out pretty easily, which in the end I did.

We can judge how we want. We don't know the motives of the owner at the time. He may have loved the neck but needed both mounted pickups. Maybe he played country or rockabilly. I'll bet the guitar is decent, but it is a monster.

Speaking of that, who wouldn't want to own this Les Paul?

User Info Menu

Those kinds of radical mods are things you do when you're in need of a very specific functional requirement. They're things you do because it's your guitar and it makes you happy-and you want it to make you happier. But these things don't often translate to a buyer that wants their guitar, unless it happens to be a freaky coincidence that you're after the exact same thing and can't find it otherwise.
    More so when you've radically compromised the original intended design.

If it served the original owner well, I raise my glass to him. He made music. It made him happy. But to a future owner that will inherit someone else's afterthought repurposed guitar... well, let's just say there's got to be more than a bargain basement price before they can consider this a good match.

'got all sorts of mods I do because I intend to keep an instrument forever and it makes me a better player. But I know in doing them, I lost all hope of it being a viable candidate in a future re-sale.

In the fickle world of mystique and collectibility and the very refined market of custom made and custom tailored guitars (Campy, Wu, Yunzhei and others) and very affordable hand made offerings (Eastman), this guitar may have been loved for what it is, by the person that made it, but it's not a duck, even if someone tried to make it walk and quack like their idea of a duck.

Now if it had been modded by Wes, or Howard Roberts, or John McLaughlin to enable a vision of magic to be realized... maybe I might see it in a different light.

Gotta be a reason for going against good design. Gotta be a special hunger to inherit someone else's abomination.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit View Post
    I don't know much about '70s JSs, and I don't remember ever seeing a JS with a volute. But the pics of this one seem to show one. Is it there and if so, can that be the original neck?
    As SS pointed out, some 70 GJS had volutes. They actually did them both with and without. Most I’ve seen do not have them.

That said, that one doesn’t look like it has a volute to me. It looks there’s a seam line from an overlay on the back of the headstock though. The angled photo shows a glare that makes it look a little like a volute. I’ve personally never seen a voluted Gibson with a true, pointed stinger from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    I wouldn't have made these changes, but I have seen similar ones made by a competent luthier. Pete Moreno put a mounted pickup in a gorgeous Heritage that was x-braced. He was able to shim a small amount off the interiors of the braces for a good fit. The bracing was stable and the guitar sounded great, but it was not the same.

Many years ago I was gigging with a Howard Roberts Artist doing blues. I had a post put in because the feedback was menacing. The post was not glued in and could be popped out pretty easily, which in the end I did.

We can judge how we want. We don't know the motives of the owner at the time. He may have loved the neck but needed both mounted pickups. Maybe he played country or rockabilly. I'll bet the guitar is decent, but it is a monster.

Speaking of that, who wouldn't want to own this Les Paul?

The neck alone looks to have parts from at least three different guitars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Can anyone post a pic of a Gibson Johnny Smith w a volute? like nshsi I can't recall ever seeing one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    Can anyone post a pic of a Gibson Johnny Smith w a volute? like nshsi I can't recall ever seeing one.
    Pretty sure Joe Ds has one. @Max405

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny View Post
    Pretty sure Joe Ds has one. @Max405
    You are correct sir

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit View Post
    My 76 GJS has a volute, this one doesn't. My 1970 L5CES also doesn't have one, i think they came later in the decade.

User Info Menu

Sorry WM.
    I love mine. Volute and all.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Sorry WM.
    I love mine. Volute and all.
    JD
    No sorry needed, glad you like it Joe, I just couldn't recall seeing one w a volute.