The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

A little Ibanez Pat Metheny PM-120 over Night and Day

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds great and really nice lines. What amp and what neck humbucker is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Boze View Post
    Sounds great and really nice lines. What amp and what neck humbucker is that?
    Thanks!

it's my fractal FM9 (vibroverb amp model) and the neck humbucker is an ibanez super 58 (stock)

User Info Menu

The perfect jazz guitar sound for my liking, woody and articulate, but still warm.
    Funny but reminds me of Bensons sound. So maybe it's the Ibanez signature sound ?
    And of course over the top playing !

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510 View Post
    The perfect jazz guitar sound for my liking, woody and articulate, but still warm.
    Funny but reminds me of Bensons sound. So maybe it's the Ibanez signature sound ?
    And of course over the top playing !
    thanks, yeah it's a brighter guitar than I expected. Perhaps exacerbated because i pick a little closer to the bridge

User Info Menu

Funnily enough, I saw a recent thread where you were looking for one of these and did a quick search as I really like the Ibanez Metheny models in general, and wanted to check out the single pup version also. So I came across an old JGO thread where you were saying that the tone (of one you possessed then?) was too dark - a bit "dead" IIRC.

Anyway, nice bright 'nuff tone on this one and I enjoyed the relaxed, bouncy feel to the playing.

User Info Menu

Sounds great Jack. It's no BK of course, but...what is? :)

How's the feel and comfort level?

User Info Menu

BK. You mean Barney Kessel ?

User Info Menu

Listening once more to your demo. Now this recalls very obviously to me the sound of the Belge guitarist Rene Thomas.. and the phrasing, airy and jumpy. The backing track reminds me the happy mood, Spring vibe, of a great Rene Thomas album "Sessions in Paris" .
    His tone and phrasing is an all time favorite for me, and your tune is really in that vein

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510 View Post
    Listening once more to your demo. Now this recalls very obviously to me the sound of the Belge guitarist Rene Thomas.. and the phrasing, airy and jumpy. The backing track reminds me the happy mood, Spring vibe, of a great Rene Thomas album "Sessions in Paris" .
    His tone and phrasing is an all time favorite for me, and your tune is really in that vein
    I'm listening to Rene Thomas now, since you mentioned him and I hadn't heard his playing before. My initial thought is that he never finishes a sentence. There's almost no call and answer in his improvisations.
    If you listen to JZ's playing, there is almost always a call back to the line before, so there's not much that is random about it.

Interesting how we can draw different conclusions from the same thing and always happy to hear a new (old) name.

User Info Menu

Sounds good. Very much like the GB10. Would be nice to have a side by side comparison between them, if you still have the 10?

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    Sounds great Jack. It's no BK of course, but...what is?

How's the feel and comfort level?
    yeah, the BK's in a league of it's own. Even the L4CES has to kneel to the BK.

But feel and comfort-wise, the Ibanez 120 and GB10 are 1 and 2. The high end japanese guitars just have a fit and finish that is hard to match. Necks are super stable and action is super low with little to no buzzing. And the necks are slim which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Sounds good. Very much like the GB10. Would be nice to have a side by side comparison between them, if you still have the 10?
    Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I have to get a pickguard put on the PM120 before I'm totally comfortable with it. I'm taking it in thursday and it'll probably be 10-14 days before I get it back but when I do, I'll do the comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C View Post
    Funnily enough, I saw a recent thread where you were looking for one of these and did a quick search as I really like the Ibanez Metheny models in general, and wanted to check out the single pup version also. So I came across an old JGO thread where you were saying that the tone (of one you possessed then?) was too dark - a bit "dead" IIRC.

Anyway, nice bright 'nuff tone on this one and I enjoyed the relaxed, bouncy feel to the playing.
    Yeah, i'm not sure what was going on with the original one I had. Was it just my amp that was too dark? Did my tastes change? Or was it really the guitar? Hard to say. I even changed the pickups in my 120 over to classic 57s and it was still too dark. But this one sounds almost as bright as my benson...

User Info Menu

Jack,
    This guitar compliments your playing style to a T.
    I just think you are very comfortable playing this guitar. I think because responds quickly, and it matches your fast clean lines. You add tricks, not to make it easier, but to make it sound better and more interesting.
    I think the construction of this guitar and all your Ibanez guitars for that matter are perfect tools for your artistry.
    Love it!
    JD

User Info Menu

yeah , that’s a really nice sound Jack

Surprising the amount of warmth
    on that one (for a thinner archtop)

is the upper fret access any better
    than a standard type 14th fret neck fitting ?

like for playing bluesy stuff in F
    at the 13th fret etc , is it any less cramped up there ?

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    Jack,
    This guitar compliments your playing style to a T.
    I just think you are very comfortable playing this guitar. I think because responds quickly, and it matches your fast clean lines. You add tricks, not to make it easier, but to make it sound better and more interesting.
    I think the construction of this guitar and all your Ibanez guitars for that matter are perfect tools for your artistry.
    Love it!
    JD
    Thanks Joe. Unfortunately, i need to get a pickguard put on it to play it. Otherwise, it puts my pick at a weird angle and I have a problem with accuracy on the bottom strings. But just as important is that it's a feedback machine. Feeds back more than my L4, Kessel, 175 or GB10. So unless I find plugs, it's unlikely to become my #1...Even on my duo gig, it feeds back... The original one I had - i ended up stuffing with cotton ala martino...

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    yeah , that’s a really nice sound Jack

Surprising the amount of warmth
    on that one (for a thinner archtop)

is the upper fret access any better
    than a standard type 14th fret neck fitting ?

like for playing bluesy stuff in F
    at the 13th fret etc , is it any less cramped up there ?
    Yes, upper fret access is the best of any of my archtops.

the ranking upper fret access on my archtops:
    1) PM120
    2) BK
    3) 175
    4) L4
    5) GB10

On the PM120, I can access the 22nd fret without thumb position. Which it was 25.5" though...
    On the BK, i can access the 20th fret with slight extension into thumb position

User Info Menu

thanks Jack

i might try a pm120 out someday
    the 24.75” suits me ….

twould be nice to play
    a blues in F up there I think

it can be done but bit of a cludge on a ‘normal’ jazz box neck join

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    thanks Jack

i might try a pm120 out someday
    the 24.75” suits me ….

twould be nice to play
    a blues in F up there I think

it can be done but bit of a cludge on a ‘normal’ jazz box neck join
    yeah, it's a great guitar for doing stuff like transposing or reading because of the fret access. Wish I knew why it feeds back so much. It's weird because my BK guitar has the thinnest top of any of my archtops and it feeds back the least whereas the PM120 has the thickest top and feeds back the most.

but it's my most comfortable archtop. Neck is amazing, action is ridiculously low, fretwork is fabulous. Gibson should take note.