The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Hey folks,

I have a 1977 ES-175 that I'd like to get a replacement rosewood bridge base for a Faber ABR1 TOM bridge.

I realize there are a bunch of bridges with rosewood bases out there that I could use but I'd like to stick with the Faber TOM. I haven't been able to find one that has the same measurements as an original Gibson ABR1 bridge, and certainly not one that is the same as the base they used in 1977 with the slightly angled post holes.

Has anyone else found a rosewood two footed base that fits the Faber ABR1 TOM bridge?

Thanks for any info!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks! Been lurking for years on and off but never posted.

Lately I'm returning to the sounds of my youth and am playing my archtops more and more.

I'm sure I'm not alone.

User Info Menu

Really? The Faber isn't a drop-in replacement for a longstanding standardized item like this?

Thanks for the reply. You're correct in that the Faber is a direct replacement if you have the correct base to mount it on.

That is what I'm looking for ... the correct base. It seems like all of the new rosewood bases do not have the same dimensions as the older Gibson bases.

I can find a base that will work, but I haven't been able to find one that will work with that particular bridge.

User Info Menu

I have new and old Gibson archtops, and standard ABR style saddles fit perfectly. Are you sure you have the original base on that guitar?

User Info Menu

Forgive my ignorance, but why doesn't Faber sell wood bases for their ABR1? Is there any reason why this particular TOM might not be the best choice for a floating bridge setup?

Thanks for the replies folks. I realize it's a pretty specific question.

@Bebop Tom, it's not the saddles that are the issue. It seems that it's hard to find a new 2-footed bridge base (be it rosewood or ebony) that has the same specifications as the original Gibson ABR1. That includes the radius, post spacing, and post hole dimensions. The Faber ABR1 is a direct replacement for an original Gibson ABR1 IF you have the original bridge base.

As to why Faber doesn't make one of their own, I suspect that there isn't a very large market for them. My guess is that they sell a lot of these bridges to folks with Les Pauls. My own web search shows only 2 NOS Gibson ABR1s with a rosewood base, but they are around $240 or more. I only want the base and don't really want NOS, just something that fits the Faber. Seems that everything else made in Japan or China has different specs.

So there are more folks here that use archtops and I thought I'd ask if anyone else has found a replacement bridge base that fits an original spec ABR1.

I really like the Faber stuff, but might have to go another route if I can't find a base with those specs.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Why not take an easily available base, and plug/redrill the threaded stud holes, to fit your Faber base? If you are not experienced to do this, have a luthier do it for you.

@daverepair, thanks for that. I'd considered it and it's probably my best option. Sometimes I just want the easier, softer way and I think your suggestion might actually be that way.

User Info Menu

Hard to tell. The post spacing is very close but no idea if the post diameter is too big. Original ABR1 posts are smaller in diameter than most replacements. I contacted the seller to find out.

Thanks for spotting that and providing the link. The idea of buying a bridge base and re-drilling the holes is becoming more and more appealing.