The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Ok here it is the original 1000 no polepieces and the reissue again no polepieces. Here is the specs

Reissue on Gibson 1938. This guitar is set up with roundwounds and essentially very close the Barker that has the original. Note that these two guitars sound at least in some sense similar. Certainly they are different but actually not by huge amounts. Both are 17 inch guitars so I think this comparison is quite relevant and I had fun doing it because I like the tune, Dreamsville. The original on the Barker has been on the guitar since it was new in delivered in March 1965. i will also say this is my favorite electric sound on guitars in general.

For another topic, I am not going to tell you in this post but both guitars are acoustically superior. I certainly will give one of these guitars the edge acoustically. Ask and I will tell you.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    Ok here it is the original 1000 no polepieces and the reissue again no polepieces. Here is the specs

Reissue on Gibson 1938. This guitar is set up with roundwounds and essentially very close the Barker that has the original. Note that these two guitars sound at least in some sense similar. Certainly they are different but actually not by huge amounts. Both are 17 inch guitars so I think this comparison is quite relevant and I had fun doing it because I like the tune, Dreamsville. The original on the Barker has been on the guitar since it was new in delivered in March 1965. i will also say this is my favorite electric sound on guitars in general.

For another topic, I am not going to tell you in this post but both guitars are acoustically superior. I certainly will give one of these guitars the edge acoustically. Ask and I will tell you.

That was fascinating. Both sounded really nice. I was going back and forth and just by coincidence got them lined up at the same spot so the comparison was very clear. The second one was a bit crisper but they were not terribly different, almost like the difference between newer and older strings. In my head I was trying to imagine the sound with flat wound strings and at least in my head the idea is very appealing.

Jim you would love it if you like big darker sound or at least different, given the type of guitars you play. The Barker actually has Dadarrio semi/flatwounds. Not exactly at real flat wound but closer.

I think you prefer solid body guitars and I think a Dearmond can make them sound bigger.

User Info Menu

Jim you would love it if you like big darker sound or at least different, given the type of guitars you play. The Barker actually has Dadarrio semi/flatwounds. Not exactly at real flat wound but closer.

I think you prefer solid body guitars and I think a Dearmond can make them sound bigger.
    Actually I may be thinking about this for an archtop. It's a long story and it ay or may not happen but it's a real possibility. (And yes, I have also thought about it for a solid body).

And thanks a million for going to the trouble.

Interesting guitar but not something I would like. I am sure it sounds and works great. The 1000 are the best really no question in my opinion. Also, you cannot compare the acoustic sounds of these 2 guitars I have based on my video. The video highlights and is picking up the electric sound. Naturally the acoustic sound of the guitar contributes to the final sound, but you can only compare acoustic guitars in a totally acoustic environment. I will also add that it really has to be one in person no amount of video will ever take in the real presence of what is going on acoustically.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Enlightened Rogue View Post
    Hello. I am sure you are aware of Mary Halvorson’s Flip Scipio built guitar. He installed a DeArmond RC 1100 in hers. It looks like he countersunk it. It is a very interesting guitar. He was a luthier at Guild and built the Artist Award models. He is a big fan of the DeArmond RC also.
    Not aware at all.

User Info Menu

I think that if you just adjust the tone on your amp it would really be the same I have P90's that do that they are a little different but adjusting the amp tone just makes them the same.........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Enlightened Rogue View Post
    Hello @deacon Mark. I apologize if my posts looked like a high jack of your thread. I wasn’t trying to sell anybody on Halvorson’s or Okazaki’s guitars. I just noticed you said @Jim Soloway prefers solid bodies and his reply was he was thinking of an archtop. I thought those might be designs he found interesting.

Also, I love DeArmond RC 1000 p/u’s. Reissue and vintage. The Gibson and Barker both sounded great. I just preferred what I heard from the Gibson from the acoustics picked up by the DeArmond RC and recording microphone. Both sound like keepers.

I took my posts down. I will remove this one also after a day. No harm, no foul. Have a good weekend.
    I'm not sure if I missed something but I certainly had no problem at all with your posts. I thought they were pretty much on topic or at the very least within the broader realm of the conversation.

User Info Menu

I just bought both the RC1000 & 1100 for a Guild AA and a Guild Benny JSAA.

User Info Menu

The original on the Barker has been on the guitar since it was new in delivered in March 1965.
    In your other post you say that the RC1100 has been on that guitar since "forever" ... do you have 2 Barkers?

Simplifying the 1000/1100 comparison (hopefully getting it right!):

vs. 1100 DeArmond original

vs. 1100 DeArmond reissue
    Last edited by RJVB; 05-08-2024 at 06:22 PM.

Yes, I have 2 Barker guitars. The oldest one from 1965 has a Dearmond 1000 with the red inset. The other is a Barker from 1971 with a Dearmond 1100. They both sound great what can I say.

User Info Menu

(A Barker might seem a mildy surprising choice for a jazz cat, but what can I say )

[oops]
    Last edited by RJVB; 05-08-2024 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    (A Barker might seem a mildy surprising choice for a jazz cat, but what can I say )

For the sake of the comparisons it would have been interested if the 2 Barkers had the 2 vintage PUs but it is as it is ...
    Your post completely confuses me. The Barkers have the original Dearmonds. Barker guitars are well known among jazz archtop players.

User Info Menu

Your post completely confuses me. The Barkers have the original Dearmonds.
    My bad, sorry. I got the videos right but then mixed up the guitars in my mind.