The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Since we are discussing the gig bags of noted guitarists, I thought I would provide one of my favorite stories from Steve Wallace about Ed Bickert and his gig bag:

(The Madeline mentioned here is of course his beloved wife, almost as much of a character in her own way as Ed, and who passed away in June 2000): One Christmas Madeline asked me if a new case for Ed’s guitar would be an appropriate gift for him. (As I’m sure you remember, his gig bag was a really flimsy, plastic beige thing that looked like it came from K-Mart). I told her to go to the Twelfth Fret because they knew his guitar, and would know exactly what was needed. I did tell her that it would have to be a soft gig bag and something not too bulky for Ed to find it acceptable.
    Sure enough, when I was working with Ed at the Top ‘o the Senator just after Christmas, he showed up on the first night with a new gig bag. I commented on how nice it looked. However, a few nights later I came in to find Madeline at the bar looking rather unhappy. When I inquired as to her problem she informed me that Ed had taken the gig bag back to the Twelfth Fret. He told her that it affected the sound of his guitar. That didn’t sound right to me so I went up to the bandstand to ask Ed what happened to the new case. He told me that it affected his sound and went on to explain that his old case was so flimsy that he could fold it up and put it in the back of that old orange Roland amp of his. It muffled the speaker slightly and he liked that. The new case of course was far too big and bulky to go in the back of that little amp. I asked why he didn’t just keep the crappy old case folded in the amp permanently and use the new case to protect the guitar. But, as the words were coming out of my mouth I knew that was far too complicated a solution. He kept using the old gig bag until he retired.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just like the guy more and more.

User Info Menu

Practicality personified. Yeah, he could have left the old bag in the back of the amp, but then the new bag is taking up space on stage somewhere.

User Info Menu

And here I thought he didn't use a gig bag at all, just tossed the guitar into the trunk of his car. The Tele looks like it.

User Info Menu

I think Mike Bloomfield showed up at a session with his tele in a garbage bag.

User Info Menu

Ed Bickert's gig bag-img_3737-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Bloomfield was known to carry his Tele with no case or cover……through snow.

User Info Menu

Rather thoughtless; no wonder his wife was unhappy.

User Info Menu

That's what I'm saying; Tone is in the case. Papa's got a brand new bag.

User Info Menu

It's a tele. It don't need no stinkin' case. Nothing can hurt it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I’ve got mine laying on the fireplace mantle right now. I use it to run scales and arpeggios while I’m on the treadmill.

User Info Menu

They also make great cheese boards.

User Info Menu

The slices are rather thick, though.

User Info Menu

The slices are rather thick, though.
    Use the back for serving most cheeses. But the strings are spaced right for mozzarella slices to go on pizza. And a thin Tele also works well as a pizza peel, especially if you add a belly cut and run it around the end. Of course, you do have to remove the strings and body hardware.

User Info Menu

Let's not forget the ash tray!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Ed Bickert's gig bag-img_3737-jpeg
    I saw those guys well over 100 times. Almost always a good time

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
    I saw those guys well over 100 times. Almost always a good time
    Man, I'm jealous of you. They were broken up before I had the chance.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    Let's not forget the ash tray!
    Which Ed actually used as an ash tray...

User Info Menu

It has been said that the reason Ed stopped playing gigs the last few years of his life was because he wasn't allowed to smoke while playing anymore. I don't know the truth of that but he did smoke all the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamScott View Post
    It has been said that the reason Ed stopped playing gigs the last few years of his life was because he wasn't allowed to smoke while playing anymore. I don't know the truth of that but he did smoke all the time.
    He injured his wrist badly on tour and had to stop playing for a while, then his wife’s MS worsened and she died shortly thereafter. It was time to retire.

User Info Menu

Some peers have said be quit smoking some time before he died, and chewed gum instead. He has also talked about getting depressed and drinking heavily after his wife's death, which he said kind of finished him off. I think I have read he was being or had been treated for cancer at the time of his passing.

There is a set of videos made by one of his sons towards the end of his days. I think they are on Vimeo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz View Post
    He injured his wrist badly on tour and had to stop playing for a while, then his wife’s MS worsened and she died shortly thereafter. It was time to retire.
    I visited Ed at his home after he retired. He was not smoking anymore. Also, his injury happened at home, shoveling snow. I can’t say enough about what a nice person Ed was. Quiet and very humble, in spite of his incredible talent. He had just decided that the time had come to retire from the music business.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    And here I thought he didn't use a gig bag at all, just tossed the guitar into the trunk of his car. The Tele looks like it.
    That's what I read somewhere.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    A saxophonist friend of mine lived in a dangerous neighborhood here in Buenos Aires and he carried his sax in a garbage bag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Arnesto View Post
    A saxophonist friend of mine lived in a dangerous neighborhood here in Buenos Aires and he carried his sax in a garbage bag.
    Oh, that could be problematic....

Q. "Where'd my saxophone go, I put it in the corner there last night?"

A. "In that corner? I saw a garbage bag there this morning so I put it in the trash can, and the garbage collector just picked it up!"