The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

It's 17" wide by 43" long by 3" deep. It's got the extra long headstock so my RB continental doesn't quite fit it.

Probably going to order the gator GL Jumbo but seeing what else is out there in 2024...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are a few gig bags out there for 17” twelve string dreads that should fit. Alvarez comes to mind. Unfortunately, Martin 12s are 16” IIRC. For a guitar as good as your BK, I’d consider a custom Kronkhite nylon bag. There’s a 25% off coupon on their website.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    That's a great bag. I looked at it for my 17" Eastman but decided to go for the biggest Mono M80 because it's a bit smaller in outside dimensions and I really like the latest Mono neck support system (I have two 16" Vertigo M80s too). The Gator is spec'ed at 16.7" aross the lower bout, but the lining should be soft enough to accommodate 17". And the depth should be enough to clear the bridge with gentle contact against the top, which is how my Eastman AR810CE7 fits the big Mono. If it's a struggle to seat the guitar in the bag or to close the zipper around the body, you can return it. The Gator's storage pouches offer a bit more room to carry thicker stuff than the Mono pouches. So if you carry a pedal or a little class D head and a cable or two in your gig bag, the Gator's a better choice.

I've never measured a Kessel's headstock, but it looks to me like it's no longer than that of my 810. If that's correct, a Kessel should fit in the large Mono M80 acoustic bag too. They no longer show this one on the monocreators website, so I assume it's been D/C'ed. I'd call or email Mono directly and ask them if that bag will fit the Kessel. They've been able to tell me which bag to buy for each of my 4 hollow bodies. If I'm right and the biggst M80 (which is a standard bag design, not a vertical bag) will fit the Kessel, I'm sure there are big shops online that still have them in stock. I got mine last year from MF and it's been excellent for both my flattop and my archtop 17s.

User Info Menu

Mono makes a Jumbo-size bag, and it fits my 17" L-5 with room to spare:
    Revisiting - Gig Bag for a Barney Kessel-monoopen-jpg

I've been using it for 5 years, and I'm very happy with it.

User Info Menu

Jonathan,

Do you think a Super 400 would fit in that bag?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    It's 17" wide by 43" long by 3" deep. It's got the extra long headstock so my RB continental doesn't quite fit it.

Probably going to order the gator GL Jumbo but seeing what else is out there in 2024...
    This looks interesting and it might fit
    RB Continental Voyager Semi/Hollow Body Electric Guitar Case

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    Jonathan,

Do you think a Super 400 would fit in that bag?
    I don't know conclusively, but it seems plausible.
    I know anybody, in town at least, with a 400 or Emperor to try to see.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive View Post
    Mono makes a Jumbo-size bag, and it fits my 17" L-5 with room to spare: I've been using it for 5 years, and I'm very happy with it.
    That's the one I have for my 17" seven string archtop. They're 44" long inside, and my 7's extended headstock fits fine. When I checked the Monocreators website earlier, this bag did not appear in the "series" listings. But I just used their search function and "jumbo acoustic" does bring it up, It's in stock both at Mono and at Musicians Friend. I love it, and I'm very happy to have my judgment validated by one of our resident experts If it's good enough for Jonathan Stout, it's definitely good enough for me!

I don't think a 400 would be an easy fit. My Eastman 810CE7 is a hair over 17" and it's a snug fit. The zipper closes without having to scrunch the bag together, but not by much. I think an extra inch would stretch it beyond a comfortable fit. If zipping it pulls the sides up over the rim, I fear it would put additional downward pressure on the bridge.

User Info Menu

I can't imagine there's too many bags made for 18" guitars as there's little demand for them, just like it's difficult to find 18" hard cases.
    As mentioned, you can have Cronkhite make you a custom bag. I have a couple older leather ones made by Glenn himself though I have no idea what quality is like since he sold the company, but I know prices almost doubled when he sold.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    I can't imagine there's too many bags made for 18" guitars as there's little demand for them, just like it's difficult to find 18" hard cases.
    As mentioned, you can have Cronkhite make you a custom bag. I have a couple older leather ones made by Glenn himself though I have no idea what quality is like since he sold the company, but I know prices almost doubled when he sold.
    I have a cloth bag made by Glenn for my 18 inch archtops. The foam is no longer 100 percent in that one, but it works OK. I also have a cloth 17 inch bag made by Glenn that really needs to be re-foamed as well. The Mono bag looks good and could replace my 17 inch bag and it is a possibility for me. If it could handle the 18 inch guitars, I would have already pulled the trigger. I used to have a leather bag for my 16 inch guitars, but the leather started to sag and I sold it. I use my 17 inch bag for the 16 inch guitars and it works fine. I have a Reunion Blues Sonoma bag for my solid body guitars that works great. The only guitar that I do not have a gig bag for is my classical, but seeing as I don't gig with that guitar, no bag is necessary.

I have not left the house carrying a guitar case in years. Hell, with my super portable Henriksen amps, I go to my gigs with a guitar on one shoulder and the amp on the other. And both hands are free.

User Info Menu

"The foam is no longer 100 percent in that one"

The first one I had him make me was Cordura nylon, when I noticed the foam breaking down I sold it.
    Then I ordered two leather bags for my old L-5 including one for a friend that wanted one for his ES-350 which is the same size. He literally never used it so I bought it back from him a year later. It was so long ago Glenn didn't even have a template for an L-5, I had to send him one. Those bags are still in great condition and I haven't noticed any degradation of the foam, not sure if he started using a different type due to the failure of the earlier stuff.
    I also ordered a leather bag for my longtime bandleader's tenor sax. Our trio chipped in for his 80th birthday as a thank you for the countless gigs he got us over the years. He loved it so much he ordered one for his alto.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco View Post
    This looks interesting and it might fit
    RB Continental Voyager Semi/Hollow Body Electric Guitar Case
    Their website says 43" interior, so is yours a different model or are they wrong? Id like to know cause I was considering one.

User Info Menu

just an update, i bought the Gator GL-Jumbo, found it on sale for $119 shipped, used it on the gig last night. It's very stout. I wouldn't put it in cargo on an airplane but i'm very happy with it. It's also super light weight.