The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

FYI: Gibson L-4 HSL4 Light Cherry Burst, 2022

https://www.12fret.com/instruments/g...ry-burst-2022/

You read that right-2022!
    Last edited by Doug B; 05-04-2024 at 07:31 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Gibson L-4 HSL4 Light Cherry Burst, 2022
    https://www.12fret.com/instruments/g...ry-burst-2022/
    You read that right-2022!
    I read it, but I'm not entirely convinced. This was posted on the Gibson Brands forums last week:

Hello All, hoping to get some commentary on a guitar we have received for consignment, what would be a reissue of an L-4C. We handle more than a few guitars of all ages and types, this one is presenting questions I'd like to answer accurately. The guitar in question has a label reading ‘L-4’ as the model, but is otherwise an L-4C in a light cherry burst, with pickguard mounted pickup. The COA, unlike the label, lists the model as HSL4, which I assume means ‘Historic Series L-4’. The serial number is 20412001, which seems to suggest 2022 construction (Feb 10 2022). Would this be correct, were these available in 2022 and is this model still offered? The very light wear and finish condition do support that year and light to moderate professional use. Also, is there any general information about the Historic Series, if that’s the correct name? Web searches mostly return Les Paul models, and the Gibson site does not really mention traditional archtops anymore. Best Regards! Any light shed is greatly appreciated.

Interestingly, this post received no replies. Also, there's no mention of this model on the Gibson website.

User Info Menu

I would not be at all surprised if it was fake. I've seen some really convincing ones, and not just from China. It's been happening for decades.

User Info Menu

That's one less digit than a modern serial number format. Gibson's serial numbers are weird and inconsistent. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's actually a 2002. That better lines up with the Historic Series era. See the lacquer cracking around the inlay on the headstock? That's another '90s-early 2000s hallmark right there. A photo of the case could help clear things up more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    ...A photo of the case could help clear things up more.
    I wouldn't mind a peek at the COA as well.

User Info Menu

I would think a call to Gibson is in order. Authentication through a guitar form is rather odd for a guitar shop. I have never seen one of these.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

Save your money and get a Herb Ellis 165 with a floater BJB.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by powerwagonjohn View Post
    I would think a call to Gibson is in order. Authentication through a guitar form is rather odd for a guitar shop. I have never seen one of these.
    Thanks John
    You've never seen a certificate of authenticity?

User Info Menu

I'm going with 2002.

Based on this web page:

Gibson | Serial Number Search

Carved Top models (serial number on orange label)
    YDDDYRRR
    YY is the production year
    DDD is the day of the year
    RRR indicate the guitar's place in the sequence of carved tops made that day.
    NOTE - as of 2000, 1st digit will be a "2"

I have a 2008 L5CES with 2DDD8RRR as the serial number. Only 8 digits, not 9.

I have a 2010 L5WES and a 2011 Super 400. Their serial numbers start with 1 and are also only 8 digits.

A 2022 is not out of the question. There have been some L5s and maybe a Byrdland show up on the forum here that were built since 2020. I don't remember their serial number format, though.

There have always been models and special runs that were never mentioned on Gibson's web site or in their printed catalogs.

User Info Menu

Looks good. Not sold on the tail piece, looks a little oversized for the body but I get the choice to use it.

That mahogany has some serious pores!
    FYI: Gibson L-4 HSL4 Light Cherry Burst, 2022-screenshot-2024-05-01-17-30-23-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Looks good. Not sold on the tail piece, looks a little oversized for the body but I get the choice to use it.

That mahogany has some serious pores!
    FYI: Gibson L-4 HSL4 Light Cherry Burst, 2022-screenshot-2024-05-01-17-30-23-png

Same tailpiece that's on my 1988 L4CES. FWIW

Seems to be the standard modern L4 tailpiece.

User Info Menu

It would take 10 minutes to call gibson customer service and confirm the serial number and specs match their records.

1-800-4GIBSON

Even if it's real, I feel like this is overpriced for an L4.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    It would take 10 minutes to call gibson customer service and confirm the serial number and specs match their records.
    1-800-4GIBSON
    Sounds easy. Are you going to call them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink View Post
    Sounds easy. Are you going to call them?
    I don't have 10 minutes for a phone call.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Same tailpiece that's on my 1988 L4CES. FWIW

Seems to be the standard modern L4 tailpiece.
    Isn't it an L5 tail piece? I mean, the L5 and the L4 being the same tail piece.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Isn't it an L5 tail piece? I mean, the L5 and the L4 being the same tail piece.
    Almost ... The L4 has a wooden piece going down the middle, but the L5 is all metal.

User Info Menu

It takes only 5 min to write an e-mail to Gibson Customer Service. At least here in Europe they answer in a couple of days.

No, I don’t have 5 minutes to write an e-mail.

User Info Menu

I don't have one minute to post on this thread.

User Info Menu

Even if it's real, would it be able to compete with a luthier-built, carved archtop in its intended application?

User Info Menu

I like Gibson's carved CES models. Nobody makes guitars in that particular style that I know of (heavily built, carved, high end electric archtops). So if you like CES style guitars, you have to go with Gibson. But when it comes to their more acoustic designs like L4C, Johnny Smith or Le Grand etc, I think there are better options in their price range (or lower).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    Even if it's real, would it be able to compete with a luthier-built, carved archtop in its intended application?
    I don't have 15 seconds to post on this thread.
    The answer is yes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    I like Gibson's carved CES models. Nobody makes guitars in that particular style that I know of (heavily built, carved, high end electric archtops). So if you like CES style guitars, you have to go with Gibson. But when it comes to their more acoustic designs like L4C, Johnny Smith or Le Grand etc, I think there are better options in their price range (or lower).
    I don't have 15 more seconds to post on this thread. Mark Campellone has built a few archtops exactly like what you describe - heavily built, carved, high end CES-style electric archtops.
    Heritage as well. Pay Mark money and he would be happy to build more of them. I'm sure various other builders can and will do the same.

Not sure what planet Heritage is on this week, but I have a Heritage that fits the bill, and the current Eagle Classic looks like it does so as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images FYI: Gibson L-4 HSL4 Light Cherry Burst, 2022-campy-x-3b-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-03-2024 at 11:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Called Gibson today. (Not having 10 minutes to get on a call the rest of the week was not a joke, but glad some people got amusement out of it).

Gibson confirmed it's a 2002 and authentic. It's still overpriced IMO. Hope whoever buys it puts it in a glass case on display to convince themselves it's worth that much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    I don't have 15 more seconds to post on this thread. Mark Campellone has built a few archtops exactly like what you describe - heavily built, carved, high end CES-style electric archtops. Pay him money and he would be happy to build more of them. I'm sure various other builders can and will do the same.
    I am not sure I agree with this.

Mark Campellone built the V1K custom for Vinny after Vinny requested a Gibson Wesmo build. It has a thicker top and a built in pickup. But compared to my Gibson WESMO (the V1K Custom is now mine), the Campellone is still very much an acoustic guitar (The Gibson Wesmo is very much an electric guitar). My Campellone has a thinner top than does my Wesmo and the Campy has the same bracing pattern as an L-5C (and all of the other Campellones). I suspect the CES (and Wesmo) builds are something that is mostly only done by Gibson.