The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

This is my beloved ES-330L. The neck meets the body at the 19th fret instead of the 15th as with a traditional ES-330. Basically a fully hollow ES-335 with P90's.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gregc57 View Post
    That's a 125TDC in my photo up in the corner. Long gone, I'm afraid, and stupidly so. It belonged to my brother, and he moved it on after a needed neck reset, which was expertly done, back in the day. What did we know? He bought a Gibson Marauder with the $$$$. I do remember us trying to play loud rock with it, and it would howl like an SOB, LOL! We knew little to nothing. This was in the early 70's. That guitar was beautiful and I remember going shopping with my Dad to buy it new, as a birthday gift for younger brother. We both now miss it dearly. Larger photo attached here:
    Attachment 111174
    I was just looking at one on Reverb. Looks like a wonderful guitar. Too bad they don't still make them. (I guess the Epi Sorrento RI was kind of similar, right?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    Gibson ES-195. Came in black or in Gertsch Orange.
    It's a thinline ES-175 with a Trini headstock and a Bigsby (easy replaced with a standard tailpiece if desired). Has single coil pickups that fit in humbucker housings for dead-easy pickup swapping.
    Still pretty cheap used and very much worth it.
    Thanks but I'm allergic to Bigsby trems.

User Info Menu

i grabed thsi some years backs
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson Thin line Guitar Models-gibson-chet-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    Gibson ES-195. Came in black or in Gertsch Orange. It's a thinline ES-175 with a Trini headstock and a Bigsby (easy replaced with a standard tailpiece if desired). Has single coil pickups that fit in humbucker housings for dead-easy pickup swapping. Still pretty cheap used and very much worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Thanks but I'm allergic to Bigsby trems.
    Yeah, it's a really tough decision. Especially the part where you sell the Bigsby B-6 for way more than the cost of the replacement trapeze tailpiece.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson Thin line Guitar Models-phillips-head-screwdriver-jpg Gibson Thin line Guitar Models-zig-zag-jpg Gibson Thin line Guitar Models-old-style-jpg Gibson Thin line Guitar Models-gib-es195-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-10-2024 at 11:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    Here's some blasphemy.

If you like the feel of a thinline, is there enough tonal difference to justify the cost of using carved woods? The laminates sound good amplified in a ES-175. There are some great players who used a ES-330.
    I compared the thinline semi hollow Collings SoCo LC Deluxe (laminated top) and Deluxe (carved top) and could not hear a difference. I bought the carved top one strictly for aesthetic (color) reasons.