The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voyage View Post
    Las Cruces, New Mexico. 45 minutes straight north of El Paso.l/Juarez. Thanks. I'd really love to find a great luthier in New Mexico.
    I must say you are out on the fringes of the US with in Cruces. The closes place would be Albuquerque or Tucson. I would try and see what is up in those places and the drive while long allows safe shipping. Google is your friend.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    I must say you are out on the fringes of the US with in Cruces. The closes place would be Albuquerque or Tucson. I would try and see what is up in those places and the drive while long allows safe shipping. Google is your friend.
    Rainbow in Tucson does great set up work .... but

According to the Plek web site the nearest Pleks are in Austin, Dallas, Denver or Huntingdon Beach, CA.

Plek Finder - Plek

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Rainbow in Tucson does great set up work .... but

According to the Plek web site the nearest Pleks are in Austin, Dallas, Denver or Huntingdon Beach, CA.

Plek Finder - Plek
    Not necessarily the best headstock repairs though. Granted, that’s based on an N of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan View Post
    Not necessarily the best headstock repairs though. Granted, that’s based on an N of one.

Yikes ... how long ago was that?

Fortunately, I've only had minor repairs and set up work done there, and they have been very good at that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    Yikes ... how long ago was that?

Fortunately, I've only had minor repairs and set up work done there, and they have been very good at that.
    It’s one they did a couple of years ago. It just popped open where the original break happened. There was zero evidence of even any glue.

User Info Menu

After having played and shlepped around my Trenier for a good 5 years it started to develop annoying buzzing problems last fall. So it was either have it sit at my repair guy for a couple of weeks or make a 2 hour drive to the nearest plek-machine - turned out it was the right decision to make the drive (and spend a nice afternoon/nerd-fest) because A) the guitar was out of hands for only 2 hours, B) I was right there witnessing the whole procedure, C) I got a discount because I'm such a nice guy and D) the fretboard was cleaned up+buffed, the guitar set up to perfection and it gave me no more headaches ever since.

I would not hesitate to use that service again in the future - as long as the fret height can tolerate a dressing. The laser-optics in the machine are absolutely precise in measuring the amount of material that needs to be removed from the frets in the first round and the re-crowning and buffing in the second and 3rd round does not remove any metal worth mentioning. I'm not sure how and IF that service is applicable on steel frets but since my Suhr Strat (my only guitar with SS frets) is in no need of any service I don't really care. That guitar is 20 years old and NEVER needed anything done to the neck or frets, amazingly solid as a rock ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman View Post
    the guitar set up to perfection and it gave me no more headaches ever since.
    How did they proceed, the traditional way of first getting the fretboard straight before levelling & dressing followed by a "clean set-up" of action and relief? Or some other order? As I think I mentioned somewhere above, a computerised procedure should be able to level frets ideally whatever the shape of the fretboard (as long as it remains playable of course, and there's no need to add material to any frets).

User Info Menu

I have not had a PLEK done. But I have several G&Ls that were PLEK'd when made, and they are amazing. I might someday drive to Ann Arbor or Lansing to get something PLEK'd someday so I can watch the process in person.

A good human seems to do an excellent job. Chuck Thornton is one such person. There are many others.

Heritage has had a PLEK machine for a very long time. They didn't use it very often, probably because they had to pay per use. As I recall Heritage, G&L, and Gibson Custom PLEKs all their instruments. I could be wrong.

User Info Menu

I have several guitars that were factory pleked. They played pretty good, But, I was able to make them better with good ol hand tools. I use the magic marker method to Blueprint them level. Then crown and polish. Also needed the nuts recut a little to get to the Type of Action I prefer.