The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I had a set of TI Benson 12's. They were the best set of strings I ever owned. Took about a month to break in, after that they kept their tone and tension for three years. (Sold the guitar.) The only thing was that they have fabric wrapping on the ends and they wouldn't install on a "fingers" tailpiece. Even my repairman had a heckuva time installing them on a run-of-the-mill archtop.

I'd like to find a comparable set of non-TI strings. As for cutting off the wrap with a razor blade, I'm not really with that. Some years ago I tried D'Addario Chromes and didn't like them at all. Very high tension and kind of "impersonal" especially compared to the Bensons. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If i understand you correctly,you want a flatwound string like the Bensons that feel the same without the silk wrap.If this is the case then i don't think you will find a comparable one you like i'm sorry to say.

User Info Menu

I haven’t played the benson strings in years but I recall they’re like swings with higher tension (thicker gauges). I have mostly come to dislike flatwound strings but I recently tried dogal expressive flats after learning one of my favorite players uses them. They are now my string of choice on my sunburst wesmo.

User Info Menu

I usually give the ends of the wrapped strings a squeeze with the flat inside of a long nose pliers. They will fit the Gibson finger tail piece. You won’t have a easy time finding a different nickel round core flat wound string without a wrap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buduranus2 View Post
    As for cutting off the wrap with a razor blade, I'm not really with that.
    Burn if off? The part of the string that gets heated is on the good side of the saddle in terms of any risks on intonation that might give.

User Info Menu

No string recommendations , sorry

If it were me I would just change the timepiece
    and use the strings I prefer ....

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz View Post
    If i understand you correctly,you want a flatwound string like the Bensons that feel the same without the silk wrap.If this is the case then i don't think you will find a comparable one you like i'm sorry to say.
    Sounds like the voice of experience talking. Appreciate you.

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    I haven’t played the benson strings in years but I recall they’re like swings with higher tension (thicker gauges). I have mostly come to dislike flatwound strings but I recently tried dogal expressive flats after learning one of my favorite players uses them. They are now my string of choice on my sunburst wesmo.
    Kind of an expensive roll of the dice but well worth considering.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    recently tried dogal expressive flats after learning one of my favorite players uses them.

I looked up those Dogal strings on stringsbymail.com and they say :

"The string ends are wound with cotton to avoid buzzing."

Just a moment...

Doug

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, they’re also wound with fabric my bad.