The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I got a new Eastman AR910ce (!) which has an endpin jack but not a strap button. I wish to have a new one installed and am wondering (1) where to place it and (2) which one I should purchase. So I am reading previous threads and found this good illustration

Installing a strap button (where and which) on an Eastman 910ce-bd-tc-55-strap-button-five-strap-button-locations-jpg

I can see that 5 and 2 are popular. Although my Q1 is: given that I like to play with angled neck, what is the best position? To fix ideas, this is how I like the guitar to hang:

Installing a strap button (where and which) on an Eastman 910ce-bd-tc-screenshot-2024-04-26-9-46-09-am-png

My Q2 is what strap button to purchase. I am looking at the Schaller S-locks, and was wondering what you think.

Ll.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can never understand 4 and 5. It’s right in the way of the hand when you are on the upper frets.

I’d go with 2 because you’re not drilling into the body cavity. Also if you do do, the mod is concealable with a new heel cap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    I can never understand 4 and 5. It’s right in the way of the hand when you are on the upper frets.

I’d go with 2 because you’re not drilling into the body cavity. Also if you do do, the mod is concealable with a new heel cap.
    The position 5 (and to some extend 4) makes the guitar hang more snug when standing. Positions 1 and 2 make the guitar rotate slightly away from the body especially when it comes to deeper body guitars. So there is a trade-off.

For shallow body guitars where the upper fret access is more convenient and rotation is less pronounced, 1 and 2 make more sense. For deeper body guitars there could be an argument for the position 5. The rotation also depends on the players body type (if you know what I mean) and how low they like to hang the guitar etc.

User Info Menu

Pos 1 or 2 for me
    As for straplocks, I had a set of Schaller in the past (not the new ones) and didn't feel secure with them. I almost dropped a guitar because it was not completely locked
    I'm happy with the classical Dunlop, safe and reliable Dunlop Straplok Nickel Dual Design – Thomann France

User Info Menu

I like 4 because it keeps the guitar from flipping forward, and the screw is in solid wood. 1 & 2 can tilt a guitar in the case, causing the headstock and case-lid to be in constant contact.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke View Post
    I like 4 because it keeps the guitar from flipping forward, and the screw is in solid wood. 1 & 2 can tilt a guitar in the case, causing the headstock and case-lid to be in constant contact.
    me too, some of my old guitars came that way to me and I like that spot though it seems to be one of the least popular

User Info Menu

I play with the neck angled up fairly high (45 degrees, or maybe a bit more). I don't find that the strap button position makes any difference at all in terms of playing comfort or suitability for this angle.

- My flattop (body, cutaway, 4" depth) has position 5. The button is the inverted cone style. I had the same thing on a GJ guitar I don't have anymore. It seems like it would interfere with playing on the upper frets in the cutaway, but in reality it doesn't. The strap I use with this has a very tight slot, so need need for any sort of lock. This guitar has an endpin jack, and I use a D'Addario CinchFit on the other end of the strap.

- My archtop (ES-175-sized) has position 2. I have slightly oversized standard disk-shaped ones on this. My semi has this as well.

- Two other archtops I use to have (a Godin and a Samick) had position 3.

I use Fender Strap Blocks rubber washers on all my electrics. I've also used Grolsch washers, but the tend dry up and fall apart). The Fenders last longer.

As far as what's best for the guitar goes, I think most luthiers say position 5 or 4. 2 risks drilling into end grain and splitting the heel (though in practice I think this not a real risk). Position 3 is the most challenging to install after-market because you have to glue a block to the inside of the guitar.

User Info Menu

All mine are 2 and 3. They both work great. Maybe I slightly prefer 3. Drilling thru the heel cap into end grain is fine as long as you understand proper screw counterbore. The right size drill is bigger than most civilians realize.

If you wear it highish your 'other' elbow stops any flipping forward. Mine does anyway.

The different strap buttons I've encountered all work exactly the same as far as I can tell. Yay! Another rabbit hole to go down! What are the pros and cons of whatever different button shapes are out there? (I mean, besides locking VS not)

User Info Menu

This isn’t what you asked, but I’ve had an AR810CE for 17 years and I never put a strap button on it. I thought about it many times but it’s never been a priority. Wes Montgomery, Grant Green, Barney Kessel, Herb Ellis, and Tal Farlow managed without one!
    Last edited by KirkP; 04-26-2024 at 10:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Bluegrass players, almost without exception, will put the strap button at position 5 on their dreads.

My first archtop, an Eastman AR905CE, had the strap button at position 1. I really like it, and for archtops that don't already have one installed, that's where I install it.

On my final remaining Martin D28, it's at position 5, and there it will stay (it's where I installed the button on all 3 of the Martin dreads I used to own – my first, a BRW D-21, and then the D-18A and D-28A).

But I like the way an archtop hangs with the strap button at 1. And I prefer to play strapped in, even when sitting, even when playing like the photo in the OP. It's just comfortable for me.

User Info Menu

Hey guys thank you very much for all your replies.

I am leaning towards position 2. I also bought the Dunlop straplock and will ask the tech to install it.

Will do NGD!

Ll.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    me too, some of my old guitars came that way to me and I like that spot though it seems to be one of the least popular
    Least popular?! But it is the only right place! My thumb has never touched it while playing, but hands are different I guess.

The place 2 might be good but if You use straplock it sticks to Your stomach. And lying in the case it will cause pressure to the ends of the guitar, like a see-saw.

But good luck, don’t drop Your guitar!

User Info Menu

Ok I am having second thought because of the stick-to-stomach comment.... so maybe 4?

As per popularity: this is a poll from one of our previous threads

Installing a strap button (where and which) on an Eastman 910ce-bd-tc-screen-shot-2024-04-27-5-27-47-am-png

Ll.