The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

A friend of mine, Buck Wilkerson, with whom I used to play frequently, died two years ago. His widow contacted me recently to see if I could help her get rid of some of the guitars he left behind (he should have taken them, he liked them a lot -- that's what I plan to do with mine). I went over and took pictures and we talked about the best way to get new owners for them. The most convenient way which she will be doing in the somewhat near future is to cart them all down to Dave's Guitar Shop and consign them. Then Dave's can take care of the advertising, vending, shipping etc. We are in south central Wisconsin near Madison. In the immediate meantime I'm posting the pictures and short descriptions in case anyone wants to make a quick honest offer for something. They are all in decent, not poor, condition. Buck played them regularly for many years but he treated them well. I made a quick inspection when I took the photos and if you are sincerely interested in any one of them I can take some more detailed pictures and look more closely. I'm not posting this in the for sale section because I don't have any prices to quote. I have knowledge of her expectations for some of them. Any comments about what you think they might sell for would be helpful to her.

Gibson ES125
    Bunch of estate guitars-es-125-jpg This has a loose top brace but is in otherwise decent condition. I know that she has been told to expect $1000 for it. I need to find out what year it was manufactured.

1925 "The" Gibson L4
    Bunch of estate guitars-gibson-l4-jpgGood overall condition

1979 Gretsch 7576 Country Club
    Bunch of estate guitars-gretsch-jpgThis one is in pristine beautiful condition

Circa 199? Jon Kammerer acoustic electric
    Bunch of estate guitars-kammerer-jpgThis one is also in great condition and is rare and desirable (I am told)

1960s Silvertone 1446?
    Bunch of estate guitars-silvertone-jpgThis was Buck's favorite guitar and everyone else's too. I think it's a 1446 but doesn't have a Bigsby like the one I had back in high school and the truss rod cover is a little weird. Its finish is cracked and the "Silvertone" logo on the headstock is half gone but it is one sweet guitar.

Pan pos
    Bunch of estate guitars-pan-jpgUnknown year. MIJ. Rumor has it that Buck found this in a dumpster under a banjo. It is actually a decent instrument. She will give it to anyone who will put to good use and will pick it up here in south central Wisconsin.

I guess it is part of getting old to be dealing with the sequelae of departed friends. Buck was a very good guitarist and when I opened each case I could hear some of the wonderful music each of these instruments has produced. The fact that they will continue to do so gives us all a bit of immortality.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I thought Dave consigned guitars too, but two years ago he told he didn't . ( ?? )

Anyway, good luck with the sales.

User Info Menu

I've consigned a few of my guitars at Dave's in the last 2 months. All sold quickly and they pay 80% of what they sell them for.

User Info Menu

Those are very nice guitars. There used to be some good used shops in Madison, and there was a guy in La Crosse who used to be Dave's main guitar tech and had started his own repair and vintage business.

I'm sure you won't have too much trouble getting them sold.

(I already have quite enough guitars for now...)

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Doctor Jeff;1332371
    I'm sure you won't have too much trouble getting them sold.

(I already have quite enough guitars for now...)[/QUOTE]

Me too. Otherwise I would pick up that Silvertone for sentimental reasons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamScott View Post
    I've consigned a few of my guitars at Dave's in the last 2 months. All sold quickly and they pay 80% of what they sell them for.

Good to know.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamScott View Post
    Were you allowed to set the prices or did you have to use Dave's prices ? I think that's where I got confused.

User Info Menu

Serial number on the ES125? PM if you prefer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
    Were you allowed to set the prices or did you have to use Dave's prices ? I think that's where I got confused.
    I think they are open to setting the price within a small range. I'm not sure, though. I went along with their suggestions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
    I thought Dave consigned guitars too, but two years ago he told he didn't . ( ?? )

Anyway, good luck with the sales.
    I recently bought a '22 Ibanez GB10 that was consigned at Dave's . Good folks to work with.

User Info Menu

I would think even with a loose brace that 125 is worth more than 1k.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    I would think even with a loose brace that 125 is worth more than 1k.
    There’s one for sale in Omaha that is cosmetically horrible—prior owner literally scratched his name on the back plate—though plays well—for $1500.

I would sure consider it if I needed another guitar. Heck, if I still lived in WI it wouldn’t even matter. I’d be on that guitar like a fly on stink.

User Info Menu

As a user of electric acoustics, to me that Kammerer is SUPER cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    There’s one for sale in Omaha that is cosmetically horrible—prior owner literally scratched his name on the back plate—though plays well—for $1500.

I would sure consider it if I needed another guitar. Heck, if I still lived in WI it wouldn’t even matter. I’d be on that guitar like a fly on stink.
    Yep. And I'm not far from WI...but with a 3 month furlough on the way I can't go spending a grand on a guitar...

User Info Menu

That es 125 Should go to Luthier to have the brace reglued, and then be sold for no less than 2.2 K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by enalnitram View Post
    Serial number on the ES125? PM if you prefer.
    It won't have a serial # but you can check the factory order # stamped on the inside back viewed through the f hole.
    That and the features of that particular guitar should give you a good idea or post the # here and someone will look it up.
    The tailpiece and bridge look like replacements but judging by the color of the guitar and assuming the control knobs are original its a mid 50s model.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    It won't have a serial # but you can check the factory order # stamped on the inside back viewed through the f hole.
    That and the features of that particular guitar should give you a good idea or post the # here and someone will look it up.
    The tailpiece and bridge look like replacements but judging by the color of the guitar and assuming the control knobs are original its a mid 50s model.
    Thanks. She's been looking for the serial number unsuccessfully.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    As a user of electric acoustics, to me that Kammerer is SUPER cool.
    Looks like a pretty small fb radius.

User Info Menu

125's like that are great guitars.
    I own one of the earliest mid-40's models, and it's a wonderful guitar. Those P90's should come with a warning for players with pacemakers! Serious magnets.

User Info Menu

Those numbers tend to be faded blueish stamped ink. A black light might help. The locations.can also vary.