The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    My understanding is that the Blu is designed primarily to work with electric guitar while the Bud is primarily designed for acoustic instruments. Honestly I prefer the Bud across the board. But in terms of why it would be useful for acoustic instruments is that perhaps you have quiet piezo pickup and want to boost the level at the input stage. Or perhaps you have a very hot mic and want to attenuate it. Since the Bud is essentially a 2 channel mixer, I can see how this might be a useful feature so that you can match the input gain and from then visually match the output gain by keeping the master vol at the same spot for both..
    I think it was designed to work well with all amplified guitars, regardless of type. Here’s the explanation from the manual of the input gain control:

Is the Bud 6 Really That Good?-img_1841-jpeg
    The input levels on both channels are adjustable so performers can get the same clean SPL they want from high and low output instruments and match it with high and low output mics. This also enables use of high output effects at the input without overdrivng the front end. The stated intent is to minimize distortion by preventing input levels above the amp’s design parameters.

Especially since the effects loop has a switchable send level (+4 or -10 dB), I don’t know why anyone would prefer using effects at the input. Intentionally overdriving the input on my Blu with an Art preamp produces no pleasant enhancement of sound.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit View Post
    I think it was designed to work well with all amplified guitars, regardless of type. Here’s the explanation from the manual of the input gain control:

Is the Bud 6 Really That Good?-img_1841-jpeg
    The input levels on both channels are adjustable so performers can get the same clean SPL they want from high and low output instruments and match it with high and low output mics. This also enables use of high output effects at the input without overdrivng the front end. The stated intent is to minimize distortion by preventing input levels above the amp’s design parameters.

Especially since the effects loop has a switchable send level (+4 or -10 dB), I don’t know why anyone would prefer using effects at the input. Intentionally overdriving the input on my Blu with an Art preamp produces no pleasant enhancement of sound.
    FYI the latest gen of the Blu no longer has a switchable send level in the loop. But I agree with you, most of the time I prefer my pedals in the loop rather than in front of the amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    FYI the latest gen of the Blu no longer has a switchable send level in the loop. But I agree with you, most of the time I prefer my pedals in the loop rather than in front of the amp.
    TBH, I haven’t used the effects loop in my Blu and don’t recall seeing a level switch for it. It’s about 18 months old - I’ll look when I get home tonight.

User Info Menu

Does the input level control actually control the amount of gain from a preamp?

How does it work?