The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Tone log 4.19.24: The Compliant Rim Ribbecke continues to impress me with its willingness to do what I want at the same time it guides me sonically forward. This keeps getting more interesting!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Always enjoy your playing Mark. Guitar looks interesting.

I've always wanted a Ribecke since hearing the Halfing.

User Info Menu

Gee I love your playing, Mark! Have you tried flatwounds on the Compliant?

User Info Menu

Great recording! That instrument sounds wonderful. I love the rich acoustic voice, and you use it to perfection.

I’m still getting accustomed to the contrasting appearance of the compliant rim section.

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    Great recording! That instrument sounds wonderful. I love the rich acoustic voice, and you use it to perfection.

I’m still getting accustomed to the contrasting appearance of the compliant rim section.

AKA
    thanks. That contrast is one of my favorite things. When discussing stain and finish with Tom R, there was an option to go with something reddish that would minimize the different wood tones or the amber that would accentuate. I chose to accentuate since it’s the main thing that makes this instrument so unique.

User Info Menu

New Ribbecke Compliant Rim 15 Inch, Bigleaf Maple/Cedar - Dream Guitars

Tom Ribbecke made one, probably the début model, in 2019.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    New Ribbecke Compliant Rim 15 Inch, Bigleaf Maple/Cedar - Dream Guitars

Tom Ribbecke made one, probably the début model, in 2019.
    You’re right, that was his first one. In total he’s probably made 5 basses and he on his 5th guitar, I think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug View Post
    Gee I love your playing, Mark! Have you tried flatwounds on the Compliant?
    no, I haven’t. Curios why you ask, though, is it the string noise?

User Info Menu

Well I just noticed you were using roundwounds. Do you use them when playing amplified as well? There seems to be a trend among jazz guitarists towards roundwounds and brighter tones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug View Post
    Well I just noticed you were using roundwounds. Do you use them when playing amplified as well? There seems to be a trend among jazz guitarists towards roundwounds and brighter tones.
    I switched to roundwounds nearly 20 years ago. They’re way less forgiving on our technique, especially for recording which seems to amplify every squeak and scrape, but the benefits are so much more overtones and complexity and richness in the tone, so it’s worth it. This holds true whether amped or acoustic.

User Info Menu

Sounds really good! Only 4 months old. Just think... she'll be up and walking in another 6 or 8! :)

Great playing, sound and video, as per usual.

User Info Menu

After hanging up here I was thinking about the tune. Amazing how it's morphed over a century from a very creaky, un-swingin' song into something else in jazzland. Surprising turn in the lyrics from the apparant promise of the title.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    [...] un-swingin' song [...]
    It was composed as a tango originally.

User Info Menu

Let's see how compliant she remains when she enters puberty!

User Info Menu

Great interpretation - Mr. Kleinhaut, you are a real storyteller on this guitar!
    To paraphrase Johannes Brahms: Without craftsmanship, [musical] inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind.

I like when musicians know about and also relate musically to the lyrics of a song.
    Softly is not an end-to-end soft song. It could also trigger negative and more intense emotions. From the verse:
    Fickle was she, faithfull never;
    Fickle was she and clever,
    So will it be forever, forever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Fret View Post
    Great interpretation - Mr. Kleinhaut, you are a real storyteller on this guitar!
    To paraphrase Johannes Brahms: Without craftsmanship, [musical] inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind.

I like when musicians know about and also relate musically to the lyrics of a song.
    Softly is not an end-to-end soft song. It could also trigger negative and more intense emotions. From the verse:
    Fickle was she, faithfull never;
    Fickle was she and clever,
    So will it be forever, forever.
    I have to admit I never looked at the lyrics to this one.

User Info Menu

Lovely. Thank you for sharing~