The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    I have a SCXD and Epiphone Valve Jr, both very nice-sounding, but potentially not with enough clean headroom in a reasonably sized space. And no line out.
    I think either of these would be sufficient enough as the PA should be doing the heavy lifting. I noticed in the photos you posted, it looked like the amp was actually in front of you? If the person running the PA does their job properly, you can have your amp placed to give you optimal sound without it needing to project into the audience.

I’d like to suggest moving away from the idea of needing a line out and thinking about using a dynamic mic, such as a Sennheiser e609. I used to use the line out on my Egnator Rebel for years because I thought it was convenient, removed the need for another open mic channel on stage and sounded “good enough”. Once I finally moved to a mic on my cab my guitar sounded 100% better in the PA. The e609 is great because it’s designed to hang over your cab, so you don’t need a mic stand cluttering up the stage.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SetPhasersToSwing View Post
    I think either of these would be sufficient enough as the PA should be doing the heavy lifting. I noticed in the photos you posted, it looked like the amp was actually in front of you? If the person running the PA does their job properly, you can have your amp placed to give you optimal sound without it needing to project into the audience.

I’d like to suggest moving away from the idea of needing a line out and thinking about using a dynamic mic, such as a Sennheiser e609. I used to use the line out on my Egnator Rebel for years because I thought it was convenient, removed the need for another open mic channel on stage and sounded “good enough”. Once I finally moved to a mic on my cab my guitar sounded 100% better in the PA. The e609 is great because it’s designed to hang over your cab, so you don’t need a mic stand cluttering up the stage.
    I had the cab speaker turned off. I put it next to me because that was the only empty space on the stage…

The mic idea sounds good, but with the drummer right behind me, wondering how much of that will get into the mic. The Sennheiser looks cool though. (I have a Shure SM58 which is great for vocals.)

User Info Menu

The mic idea sounds good, but with the drummer right behind me, wondering how much of that will get into the mic. The Sennheiser looks cool though. (I have a Shure SM58 which is great for vocals.)
    No bleed because your amp will be in the way It is also a unidirectional mic.

Rather than a Tone Master I’d opt for a real tube amp. A Headstrong Lil King would cover all your bases. Personally I opt for the lower power Santa Cruz so I can gat some natural break up. I play at fairly low volumes most of the time.

Chorus is a gimmicky effect.

I had the cab speaker turned off. I put it next to me because that was the only empty space on the stage…

Ah, I wonder if, without the amp contributing to your ambient sound, that was part of the problem with the out front sound? Especially since you’ve said a few times that you’re usually happy with the Fishman.