The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510 View Post
    So your freind says he prefers the Korean T50 to his US made SF3? That says something !
    Thanks for your thoughtful comments, very interesting.
    How would you describe the sound of the Dyansonics ? Like single coil Fenders ? More P90, or maybe Dearmond Rythm Chief ?
    I would rather say slightly prefers, we both like them both a lot but that night with the setups we used He, I, and several listeners agreed if it was blind listening we would slightly prefer the T50, Even though Im very satisfied with the T50 I want them both but I would qualify that by saying only if the SF was that one and I suggested a price close to what I paid for the T50 which generated a laugh. I doubt my recollection and compared to many players here limited experience with those other pickups (have heard p90s sound different in different guitars) my guess would be the Rhythm Chief but guys like HH, SS and TRM would be far more sensitive to the differences. As a generalization I would characterize the p90 as warmer but the Dyna isnt sterile its clean with body and I have not yet pushed it into breakup with my 65 Deluxe so still early days. The SF is 64 yrs old so that must have some effect but it was surprising how close they sounded acoustically. I dont play out anymore, Im lazy and retired but if I did Id stick with my 175 that Ive had for 48yrs but if not for that I think it would be the SF because of the cutaway and dual pickups (assuming I could get one) Now I just comp standards and something I hope resembles chord melody so the T50 is perfect.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply.
    The one Guild I'm interested in is the Starfire III Special with the Dynasonics pickups. Best of both worlds to me since I much prefer the cutaway and it has a Bigsby, which I love for adding atmospheric touches.

Thank you for all the info Rickco!
    I will give it some more thought and will let you know what i will go with. I have a Tele so I am looking for something different. The D'Angelico I'm looking at has humbuckers but it's 335 style and from my brief test at the store it somehow didn't wow me soundwise; it felt great, played well, fit & finish were outstanding but it felt very "electric guitar" if that makes sense. I will make time these days to try out a SF IV locally, see how that goes. The T50 i can't try locally so my only impressions re:sound comes from the few YT vids i saw so that doesn't say too much (compression, editing, etc.) but like i said before, it's an interesting guitar.