The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 77

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat View Post
    You guys smoked me. I had to pony up $1300 for my 1994 used, quite a few years ago. (Hard to imagine this guitar is already 30 years old. What does it take to be called vintage these days?)

Attachment 110993
    Vintage is defined 20-99 years old, Retro is 20 or less, and antique is 100 years plus.

Since they are marketing terms, in reality, they mean whatever the seller wants them to.

Beautiful guitar, btw.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco View Post
    Personally Im holding on to my pre '03 Heritages as I dont think the workmanship of the new gits is on par with what was made under the old guard
    I never purchased a new Heritage, this after acquiring some 14 different GE’s, SE’s, 16’s, and 575’s. And I’d not purchase a guitar from this new company. They purchased it from the previous owners, but it in no way resembles the previous company. No more custom guitars built, when the original company built their name on customization. No, it’s a new company under an old name. Heritage died when the old guard retired.

User Info Menu

I haven't checked recently, but Pete Farmer is the Master Builder at Heritage, and has made some gorgeous Custom Shop guitars in the years following the sale of Heritage. Examples of custom guitars are on their website, but they appear to be sold out:
    Limited Edition Collection | Heritage Guitars

This one (below), in particular, is a fabulous guitar - a gorgeous, excellent sounding, excellent playing instrument. I played it for quite awhile at NAMM. Pete and I had an interesting discussion about some liberties he took with the size of the Heritage f-holes on it, heh. It was available until recently.

Custom Shop Winter NAMM 2018 Golden Eagle Electric Guitar, Original Su – Heritage Guitars

Attached Images Attached Images Heritage now offering the H-575 as part of their Core Collection Series-3-jpg Heritage now offering the H-575 as part of their Core Collection Series-gib-heritage-js2-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-23-2024 at 09:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat View Post
    What does it take to be called vintage these days?)
    Vintage is anything my age or older.

Retro is stuff that came after I was born.

Simple as that.

User Info Menu

It's good to hear these are carved. Makes the price tag a lot more reasonable considering there really aren't that many places you can buy a carved guitar anymore. Side note: somebody should tell Heritage to put 'hand carved, solid' in their ad copy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    I never purchased a new Heritage, this after acquiring some 14 different GE’s, SE’s, 16’s, and 575’s. And I’d not purchase a guitar from this new company. They purchased it from the previous owners, but it in no way resembles the previous company. No more custom guitars built, when the original company built their name on customization. No, it’s a new company under an old name. Heritage died when the old guard retired.
    All that customisation was a reason Heritage wasn't doing well financially. The business is apparently in much better shape now. I've played some of the newer guitars made post ownership change and found the quality to be quite good, better than many I'd played that were made under previous ownership. I never really got some people's obsession with the guitars being made by ex-Gibson workers when many of those workers had simply made guitars during Gibson's worst era.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MAJackson View Post
    All that customisation was a reason Heritage wasn't doing well financially. The business is apparently in much better shape now. I've played some of the newer guitars made post ownership change and found the quality to be quite good, better than many I'd played that were made under previous ownership. I never really got some people's obsession with the guitars being made by ex-Gibson workers when many of those workers had simply made guitars during Gibson's worst era.
    Lack of QC isnt the domain of the worker its the responsibility of management. A master craftsmen builds something to the spec they're given they're not there to make value decisions. I spent 50yrs in the wood and wood products industry. We could build something to any price point the bosses were shooting for, they made the calls. The quality went up the minute Heritage took over. I never experienced anything but exceptional quality from any Heritage I saw or played. When I hear criticisms of cosmetic things like the headstock thats personal taste and has nothing to do with quality. I cant speak to someone elses experience but but virtually everyone (including those here) agree their best work was with the original crew. Honestly the remark "I've played some of the newer guitars made post ownership change and found the quality to be quite good, better than many I'd played that were made under previous ownership" is hard to swallow. Where did you find all these heritages, are we talkin 5 or 10, 1 or 2 ...were you playing though a pedal, played them for 1/2 hour, 2 hours, weeks, days? And yes Im bustin your chops cause I think thats a gross exaggeration. Ive heard good things about the new ones but you cant get a custom like you could under the old guard and according to J Wolfe they are 1/1/2 yr backordered on the 575.
    so there....

User Info Menu

Lack of QC isnt the domain of the worker its the responsibility of management...Ive heard good things about the new ones but you cant get a custom like you could under the old guard
    Workers making low quality guitars because of management choices still means they were making low quality guitars.

Heritage has a bespoke program. Not sure how much more custom one would need.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MAJackson View Post
    Workers making low quality guitars because of management choices still means they were making low quality guitars.

Heritage has a bespoke program. Not sure how much more custom one would need.
    I’ve personally owned some 15 Heritage “old guard” guitars. Each was perfect in its own right. It’s a pity that you didn’t own, nor play, such a guitar from the original Heritage company. But like some Gibson’s, perfection does not exist from companies that mass produce guitars.

User Info Menu

The only thing uglier than heritage’s pickguards is the ridiculous pickguard on a Gibson Johnny Smith “D”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    The only thing uglier than heritage’s pickguards is the ridiculous pickguard on a Gibson Johnny Smith “D”
    How else are you supposed to mount 5 knobs without going into the body. LOL

Heritage now offering the H-575 as part of their Core Collection Series-eplbqn4hegxqrwovktom-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    Sure the shape is awkward, but why did they also decide to drop the ones made of wood and go with such a cheap looking multi-ply cut plastic one? Wood isn’t generally my preference but at least it gave a higher end look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Certainly not in line with the OPs thread but since this has digressed to who thinks what is ugly on a guitar mabey we (most of us) would agree that this is the most butt ugly git Ive seen. Unless of course I was in a Heavy Metal band in which case I d have to have it I think it said it weighs 17lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images Heritage now offering the H-575 as part of their Core Collection Series-phvnpjxotfmjwmeaxjn3-jpg Heritage now offering the H-575 as part of their Core Collection Series-kymfvrgxzjk8t7ci8nb4-jpg 

User Info Menu

Certainly not in line with the OPs thread but since this has digressed to who thinks what is ugly on a guitar mabey we (most of us) would agree that this is the most butt ugly git Ive seen...
    I don't know. I think it's kinda cool-looking and I wonder what it sounds like. Of course, I wouldn't play it unless my tetanus shots were up to date.

User Info Menu

The pickguards I think are the worst are like on the Gibson Citation, with one big ol Les Paul knob on them. 30k for a guitar and they couldn't come up with a more elegant solution?

User Info Menu

I like that guitar. The metal one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink View Post
    I don't know. I think it's kinda cool-looking and I wonder what it sounds like. Of course, I wouldn't play it unless my tetanus shots were up to date.

I dunno-good for stopping home invasions at 3:00AM!

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    I dunno-good for stopping home invasions at 3:00AM!

Doug
    Teles are better for that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    Teles are better for that

I agree but why waste a perfectly good guitar, Im originally from N. Jersey where (in my day) a golf club was often kept just inside the door but nowadays I keep a 40v cordless weedwacker within reach, potential invaders will be begging me to use the golf club (or Tele)!

User Info Menu

I agree but why waste a perfectly good guitar, Im originally from N. Jersey where (in my day) a golf club was often kept just inside the door but nowadays I keep a 40v cordless weedwacker within reach, potential invaders will be begging me to use the golf club (or Tele)!
    you're not wasting a Tele using it like that, they're pretty much indestructible. they're multi purpose instruments

User Info Menu

perfect for "head banging" music

User Info Menu

Heritages, Gibson Citations, etc, can't say I've ever seen a figured wood guard I like against spruce tops, they just stick out and look out of place aesthetically. I tend to think if Gibson had used plain maple or similar on their guitars from the beginning no one would've used celluloid. maybe Gibson was anticipating the wood getting worn from heavy strumming etc and that's why they settled on plastic. swirly celluloid is nice but as we know caustic and a ticking time bomb, but it's really not aesthetically pleasing either imo, we're just used to seeing it over the last 100 years. but if it has to be plastic maybe one day someone will come up with an accurate inert material that truly looks like the old celluloid.

ps as far as Gibson JSD's, they do look silly and bulky. built in twin pickup carved archtop guitars serve a purpose but I wonder why Gibson ever used double floating pickups on them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    you're not wasting a Tele using it like that, they're pretty much indestructible. they're multi purpose instruments
    I've told the story before, but may as well tell again-- in my younger years I played a club in Chicago that had two levels. We played 2 shows in one night, one on the main floor and then one in the basement, essentially. I had borrowed the headliner's guitarist's amp for the first set, so all I needed to lug downstairs was my guitar stand, my beer, and my tele. So I decided to carry the stand and beer and walk downstairs with my tele slung around my neck.

It was winter and the steps were wet. And i took the full flight down on my ass. Beer spills everywhere, stand goes flying, and my tele pops up and cracks me hard in the chin, splitting me open. The guitar continues down a few more stairs, hitting the wall too. I end up at the bottom, dripping blood, wet, and defeated. My tele? I think the high E was a little out of tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    I've told the story before, but may as well tell again-- in my younger years I played a club in Chicago that had two levels. We played 2 shows in one night, one on the main floor and then one in the basement, essentially. I had borrowed the headliner's guitarist's amp for the first set, so all I needed to lug downstairs was my guitar stand, my beer, and my tele. So I decided to carry the stand and beer and walk downstairs with my tele slung around my neck.

It was winter and the steps were wet. And i took the full flight down on my ass. Beer spills everywhere, stand goes flying, and my tele pops up and cracks me hard in the chin, splitting me open. The guitar continues down a few more stairs, hitting the wall too. I end up at the bottom, dripping blood, wet, and defeated. My tele? I think the high E was a little out of tune.
    not quite the same thing but I was working in club that was a converted house. the room was very small w/ a stage in the back and being a converted house the ceiling was low. I had my old L-5 on stage and was sitting at a table on break talking to some friends when I looked up and everyone was ready to play and the bandleader was waving me up. I hurried on stage and said I needed to tune up real fast and slung the guitar and strap up in the air to put it on. the only problem was I forgot there was a ceiling fan. next thing I knew the guitar was almost ripped from my hands, click, click, click. the bandleader said "if it wasn't out of tune before it is now"
    I couldn't even look at the headstock until I got home but luckily it was only a few small chips of the lacquer over the binding at the top.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Hammertone;1331971][SIZE=3]I haven't checked recently, but Pete Farmer is the Master Builder at Heritage, and has made some gorgeous Custom Shop guitars in the years following the sale of Heritage. Examples of custom guitars are on their website, but they appear to be sold out:
    Limited Edition Collection | Heritage Guitars

This one (below), in particular, is a fabulous guitar - a gorgeous, excellent sounding, excellent playing instrument. I played it for quite awhile at NAMM. It was available until recently.
    [FONT=verdana][SIZE=3]
    Custom Shop Winter NAMM 2018 Golden Eagle Electric Guitar, Original Su – Heritage Guitars

That guitar looks great, the description says the top and back were lightened and it was tap tuned. I have heard several (or more) experienced players say that they didnt care for the " thin carve" on the Golden Eagles, Im assuming both for tone and feedback. My GE is very light and acoustically responsive. If it was any thinner I think it would really be hard to control in a feedback situation (Im assuming a floater) So what would be the advantage in "The top and back are lightened to increase the acoustic values and properly voice the instrument. Tap tuned carved Spruce (Top)" and what does "properly voice" mean since there seems to be no agreement on what that would sound like? Since you (Hammertone) have the Heritages most of us would lust for and others how did this one compare? I love the sound of my GE acoustically and thru the floater (KA custom single coil) and have compared it to similar archtops, not better or worse just different. So what Im wondering is was that marketing jargon or are these new ones thinner and lighter than the original numbered 1000 and if so wouldnt they lose some of their buyers because they're to thin? and were the ones you showed ordered with specific carve request? I know this is way off the subject but...