The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 77

User Info Menu

Some cosmetic changes. Now if they would only shrink the f-holes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I know it's petty, but I think Gibson wins with the headstock. Heritage improved it with widening it in the last few years.

The Heritage builders chose the "snake head" design for practical reasons. It gives a straight string pull to the tuners and reduces headstock mass and consequent neck dive, at least in other models. They couldn't take an existant headstock configuration, especially Gibson's, without patent issues.

The headstock design should not be a deal killer. The H-575 is a very good electric jazz box. It used to be available with a spruce top, but I didn't notice much difference when amplified.

The H-575 has endured in the Heritage line up for good reasons. Like the H-535 and the H-150, it's a solid workhorse with a simple design.

Mine is an older one. I like the tailpiece, but the newer and simpler ones work fine. The bridge might be better if it's full contact. That's probably not worth the extra trouble though.

Heritage now offering the H-575 as part of their Core Collection Series-51638844400_fcd231ca73_c-jpgHeritage now offering the H-575 as part of their Core Collection Series-51637996621_0515be912e_c-jpg

User Info Menu

Nice. Damn, those f-holes are HUGE!

User Info Menu

I think the plain Heritage headstock, like the one one my 575, is pretty lame. The rest of the guitar more than makes up for it.

But I also think with a little binding the Heritage headstock goes from blah to great very quickly. And I like the big f-holes.

These new 575's look great. And I promise never to tell anyone here who buys one what I paid for my old one

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MAJackson View Post
    Some cosmetic changes. Now if they would only shrink the f-holes.

Comes with a coupon for free picking arm tattoos. I'm in!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    The headstock design should not be a deal killer.
    I'm not spending $5,000 on a guitar that is anything less than aesthetically perfect. You can change pickups, strings, and bits & bobs, but that dumb headstock is permanent.

User Info Menu

I’ve been here for 15 years. And for that entire time, and it probably proceeded my arrival, the beat the horse dead Heritage headstock. Formula: Mention any Heritage guitar, and someone will belittle the entire guitar because of its headstock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    I’ve been here for 15 years. And for that entire time, and it probably proceeded my arrival, the beat the horse dead Heritage headstock. Formula: Mention any Heritage guitar, and someone will belittle the entire guitar because of its headstock.
    Agree!

And I also agree that a bit of binding works wonders for the beautifully designed Heritage H575 headstock. :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    Heritage improved it with widening it in the last few years.
    It's definitely better than it was. The twin arrows inlay is a nice addition too.

User Info Menu

Formula: Mention any Heritage guitar, and someone will belittle the entire guitar because of its headstock.
    It's a cliche at this point, isn't it?

I'd go as far as to say, not only is this not an ugly headstock, it's one of the most elegant headstock designs I've ever seen.Heritage now offering the H-575 as part of their Core Collection Series-download-7-jpg

User Info Menu

I get that the guys that started the company were old Gibson employees, but it would've been nice if they had come up w/ some original designs. 'The Heritage' [c'mon, really?] the Kalamazoo Award inlay, trapeze tailpieces, f hole shapes, etc, etc, something to set them apart from Gibson. The only thing keeping them from flat out copying the design/shape of Gibson's headstock was a lawsuit and I guarantee they would've used the F-5/L-5 flowerpot inlay if not for the same reason. Geez, show some imagination already. I wonder what their selling point was supposed to be other than price.
    I'm guessing the company finally heard the comments/complaints and the more changes they come up with now will hopefully set them further apart from Gibson which is a good thing imo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    It's a cliche at this point, isn't it?

I'd go as far as to say, not only is this not an ugly headstock, it's one of the most elegant headstock designs I've ever seen.Heritage now offering the H-575 as part of their Core Collection Series-download-7-jpg
    Since the conversation has gravitated to the headstock, I thought I would include a pick of my 2000 Heritage Eagle headstock with inlaid Fleur-de-lis.
    Heritage now offering the H-575 as part of their Core Collection Series-heritage-eagle-headstock-jpg

User Info Menu

It looks like this new generation, both the $4500 regular version and the $6,000 Custom (core) versions have lam tops and backs with a solid rim.

In the old days, the H-575 was fully carved, mostly all maple, but sometimes spruce topped.

User Info Menu

I’ve been here for 15 years. And for that entire time, and it probably proceeded my arrival, the beat the horse dead Heritage headstock. Formula: Mention any Heritage guitar,and someone will belittle the entire guitar because of its headstock.
    I prefer to belittle them for their over-sized f-holes.
    Funny, that, and the aesthetically-challenged headstock shape, hasn't prevented a few of them from following me home. Go figure, maybe they are good guitars, or something.

Attached Images Attached Images Heritage now offering the H-575 as part of their Core Collection Series-heritage-x3-headstocks_2306x-jpg Heritage now offering the H-575 as part of their Core Collection Series-heritage-x3-front_2328x-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-17-2024 at 07:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    I'm not spending $5,000 on a guitar that is anything less than aesthetically perfect. You can change pickups, strings, and bits & bobs, but that dumb headstock is permanent.
    What a remarkable, um, je-ne-sais-quoi reason not to consider a very nice guitar.

User Info Menu

$6,000!!!! They better carve both the top back and sides for that amount of money,as well as make it out of solid non laminate wood!

Sorry, but I’d take Mark Campellone as well as other bespoke luthiers over this any day!

User Info Menu

I cant find any info on construction lam or solid carved top. I emailed Heritage.

User Info Menu

Older Heritage were the closest to Gibsons I've seen, great guitars.. I once missed buying a used lefty 575 for a great price .. But the Gibson guys are gone from Heritage now, and I haven't played the newer ones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    Older Heritage were the closest to Gibsons I've seen, great guitars.. I once missed buying a used lefty 575 for a great price .. But the Gibson guys are gone from Heritage now, and I haven't played the newer ones.
    They're gone from gibson also

User Info Menu

The up-charge for made in the USA is kind of eye watering.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
    The up-charge for made in the USA is kind of eye watering.
    Wait, are not all Heritages made in the US now?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Wait, are not all Heritages made in the US now?
    I thought they were but haven't kept up. Was thinking $4.5K and $6K are a lot for a laminate and the price, in addition to the requisite marketing, is propelled by the cost of doing business in the US.

There's been some discussion of an evolving Epiphone lately. If they made a ES175 in China using US spec's and all US hardware, don't think the price would be in this range. Even Japanese guitars like Westville appear to offer better value. Anyway, the new Heritage 575 seemed pricey but maybe they charge by the F hole opening sq. in.

User Info Menu

They are all USA made. Price wise, it sounds like a lot and I don’t understand the solid rim either. On the other hand, try finding a decent, used, es-175 for under 4K. I’ll guess they saw that market and went there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
    I thought they were but haven't kept up. Was thinking $4.5K and $6K are a lot for a laminate and the price, in addition to the requisite marketing, is propelled by the cost of doing business in the US.

There's been some discussion of an evolving Epiphone lately. If they made a ES175 in China using US spec's and all US hardware, don't think the price would be in this range. Even Japanese guitars like Westville appear to offer better value. Anyway, the new Heritage 575 seemed pricey but maybe they charge by the F hole opening sq. in.
    Where did you read that the H575 was a "laminate" guitar?

User Info Menu

On their current website, Heritage does not describe the top or back plates of the H-575 as carved, or even solid wood. They do mention that the rims are solid wood.
    Here is the relevant copy from their site:

The Heritage Custom Shop Core Collection H-575 is a timeless instrument crafted with precision and attention to detail. The body of the Core Collection H-575 is constructed from premium curly maple, enhancing the visual appeal of this beloved tonewood. It is available in two elegant colors: Original Sunburst and Antique Natural. The body is finished with nitrocellulose, providing a vintage gloss that ages beautifully over time. For those seeking a more vintage look, this H-575 is also available in an Artisan Aged finish. The rim wood of the H-575 is made from solid curly maple, contributing to the guitar's resonance and durability. The fretboard, constructed from bound rosewood with a 12" fretboard radius and Jescar Medium/Jumbo frets, allows for effortless bends and comfortable playing across the neck. With a scale length of 24-3/4" and 20 frets adorned with small block inlays, the neck of the H-575 features a 50s C profile carved from mahogany for warm tones and excellent sustain. ... blah, blah, marketing bullshit, blah blah...

Specifications
    Body Material - Premium Curly Maple (Top & Body)
    Rim Wood - Solid Curly Maple

Omission is standard fare for catalogue copy writers. If it's not stated, then it's not there. These days, given consumer access to the internet and forums like this, their wording is just plain stupid. Carved? Solid pressed? Laminated? Got me.
    I did ask the question in their survey that pops up. I care enough to read their description, but not enough to bother following up beyond that. I suppose someone else could call or write them and ask for the answer as well.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 04-20-2024 at 10:42 PM.