The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ahhhh, it's Springtime on Long Island. We've has a couple 70+ degree days in a row..............
    and now I'm really missing those Long Island Guitar Show days at '5 Towns College'........
    Great builders and great players. I saw some impromptu jams that knocked my shoes off my feet; got to meet many great builders, and touch their wares.
    Is there anything else like that anywhere else, ever, where archtop makers and players gather?
    I miss those days.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Check out “The Artisan Guitar Show”. It is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Dates this year are 04/19/2024-04/21/2024. I think you may enjoy it.

Also, check out “The Rocky Mountain Archtop Guitar Festival”. Usually this event is in September.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gregc57 View Post
    Ahhhh, it's Springtime on Long Island. We've has a couple 70+ degree days in a row..............
    and now I'm really missing those Long Island Guitar Show days at '5 Towns College'........
    Great builders and great players. I saw some impromptu jams that knocked my shoes off my feet; got to meet many great builders, and touch their wares.
    Is there anything else like that anywhere else, ever, where archtop makers and players gather?
    I miss those days.
    Those early 5 Towns Guitar shows were my biggest memories in guitar and jazz playing. It was very much almost a religious experience. You look back and realize only now how great it was. I met many of the builders and people. My guess is I ran into many on this forum who I know now, but back then it was just a name. John Monteleone and his booth wow! I got to me Joe Puma he was cool and very friendly. Mike Katz and his guitars. I remember a guitarist name Steve, cannot remember his last name doing Johnny Smith transcription was putting a book out on them. I remember getting up early and going for a run around Islip New York on a beautiful Sunday morning. That is where I met Pat Martino, and he was quite a skinny little fellow and seemed like all his muscles must have been sent to his hands. While we are on it I met one player of note who was very arrogant and it has stuck with me all these years. He will remain nameless as he is still alive. Funny I remember people and personalities more than specific guitars. Much has changed in over 30 years.

User Info Menu

I remember meeting John Monteleone there for the first time. We’ve met and chatted several times since. We live pretty close to each other. What a prince. Mr. Campellone was there. I cannot remember if we chatted or not, but I remember his table and samples. I finally have one of his builds. Everyone was there! All the great archtops builders showed. I remember talking to Jimmy Bruno. It’s intimidated the heck out of me. The Pisanos, everyone. I remember George Benson walking through and drawing attention like some kind of god. Magical,as you say. I thought it would happen like that every year going forward. It was only a short period. I remember the entire Blue collection there one year. Damn……. Good memories.

User Info Menu

I recall meeting Kenny Poole as we were checking in to the hotel . I shook his hand + thanked him for his music...then turned his hand + asked if I could see how long he kept his fingernails on his right hand. He laughed and gave me his philosophy on that. Also told me he could tune a 6 string to get George van eps sound without needing a 7 string.